Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 wont start with audio system hooked up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 wont start with audio system hooked up.

So I got a new starter and a battery for my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. My battery is from a friend and my capacitor for my system reads 13.8 for the battery. (the old one was 12.4) It started perfectly fine until I hooked up my amp and speakers. When we hooked the system back up it had a rough idle and acted like it wanted to stall. We disconnected the wire and it ran fine again. So we cleaned the ground under the hood and ran a new ground from the system, then hooked the system back up. I started it twice acted fine no rough idle or anything. It started right up both times. After I took someone home and went to the gas station and it was running fine. Idle was normal, drove it for 20 minutes. After I got gas it didn't want to start again. Just kept clicking each time I turned the key. I disconnected the system from the wire in the back and still didn't want to start. It only started when I got a jump.
When I got home I turned it off and about 30 minutes later I tried starting it again. The first time it clicked so I turned the key off and tried again, it started right up. I had let it run for about 10 then turned it off. Tried to start it right away and it didn't want to start until last second and it did. Any idea what this is? Ive already clean the grounds.

(The system worked perfectly fine before we replaced the starter and battery. It has been hooked up since I first got it.)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Re: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 wont start with audio system hooked up.

Not a Third Gen, but since I'm so nice it sounds like your audio system has a parasitic draw (taking power from the battery while the car's off, not leaving enough juice to get it going again.) Make sure it's hooked up to a power source that only gives power when the key is turned on. Best of luck