Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Looking for a timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Looking for a timing cover

I have a 383 that's based off a 010 (69-79) non roller block. It has a retro roller cam in it, which obviously means it has a cam button. I want to use a Vortec crank reluctor in it as well. The goal is to run either a 4X or 24X 0411 setup. Are there any other options besides the EFI Connection cover if I'm looking to do this? I saw the Holley one but it is indicated it's not compatible with a cam button equipped valve train. Any other options out there?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Fourth Gen '94 camaro
Engine: 350 Gen II
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Looking for a timing cover

Take a look at part #TC262P at: http://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest.../#lightbox/28/.
Midwest has bottom barrel prices on OE parts.

I think this is a sbc Vortec cover that uses a crank sensor. But you will have to verify your sensor fits and the reluctor fits also.

Hope this can help and please let us know what works. Feedback helps us all.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 384 Likes on 328 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by cardo0
Take a look at part #TC262P at: http://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest.../#lightbox/28/.
Midwest has bottom barrel prices on OE parts.

I think this is a sbc Vortec cover that uses a crank sensor. But you will have to verify your sensor fits and the reluctor fits also.

Hope this can help and please let us know what works. Feedback helps us all.
A plastic cover will not work with a cam button. You will need a metal cover. TPIS made one for the L31 configuration. Most reluctor configurations will only allow the use of a single roller timing chain.

https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/245
Old 04-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Fast355
A plastic cover will not work with a cam button. You will need a metal cover. TPIS made one for the L31 configuration. Most reluctor configurations will only allow the use of a single roller timing chain.

https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/245
That's even pricier than the EFI Connection cover. I'm just surprised that no one is making a cover that's compatible. This seems like it will either be me fabricating something out of a timing cover using a MIG welder (likely dubious since the front needs to come up) or an external reluctor. I'm thinking about getting a 24X wheel and just having it plasmaed out then tacking it to a crank pulley and running it that way. With that said I'm also kind of curious about is how much runout a standard LSX reluctor would be tolerant of.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Fourth Gen '94 camaro
Engine: 350 Gen II
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Yeah I was focused on a timing cover with a cranksensor and overlooked your non-roller block. Kinda hard to miss that but i did.

Well I wasn't going to mention something I thought of but haven't tried myself is to modify the plastic cover. I imagine just cementing on a flat of sheet steel inside and out where the cam button meets the cover and use a water pump with a cam button stud on it to keep the cover in place. They make water pumps with an adjustable stud for the thin tin covers to keep the cover in place and in turn the cam in place. Pretty bubba but heck it where no one will see it.

Just a though so take it for what its worth.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

I've thought about that too, but the short block is expensive enough to make me squeamish considering it. Cam button failure is likely to take out a whole engine. I'm kind of thinking mount a 24X wheel externally. I just ordered one, so I want to examine/measure it and see what it looks like.

Based on my research the sensors are tolerant of .010 runout from the factory spec but some aftermarket companies are saying .020. Not a lot of space to work with tolerance wise either way. I'm thinking about getting the sections welded together, plasma out the middle then welding it on to the crank pulley. I need to evaluate runout realistically on the crank pulley setup.

On another note payed for an HPT Pro today so I'm wagering that stuff is gonna get more interesting. Have a few other GM vehicles to try and tune first, but we'll see how it goes. This is low priority right now since I'll probably fire with the Megasquirt honestly.