Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Transmission removal torque arm question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Transmission removal torque arm question

Question on removing torque arm. Am I OK to remove torque arm while car is in the position or do I have to drop rear suspension down as I have read? When removing torque arm from transmission side can I do it with car in this position with a block of wood between torque arm and floor pan? The torque arm is mounted to the body in the front not to the transmission but will need removed from the body mount to pull tranny. My wheels are prevented from moving due to my wood crib stops. I try to be as safe a possible as when you get older gravity is harder on you than when you were young (or so it seems). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chopski; 07-04-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Transmission removal torque arm question

It's almost impossible to remove it while the suspension is holding up the car.

Raise the rear until the wheels are well up off the ground and hanging loose. Support the chassis on 2 jack stands, right in front of the front mount point of the rear control arms. Raise the pumpkin an inch or 2 with your floor jack, just enough to lift it up off of the extension stops in the shocks, and support it with 2 more stands, under the axle tubes. NOT, under the spring brackets; NOT, under the shock brackets; NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT. Under the axle tubes ONLY.

Observe the spring pockets. Notice that they are NOT directly in line with the axles; which produces the result that, whenever there is ANY tension on the springs, they are trying to rotate the rear. With the car and axle supported like this, there is the minimum possible tension on them; specifically, the tendency they create for the rear to rotate, is almost exactly balanced by the weight of the TA. You can literally curl your little finger around the end of the TA and raise & lower it at will like this. It is very eeeeezy to remove it from the TA mount, then remove it from the rear if you want.

Re-installation is the reverse of removal. Put it back together with the car and axle supported the same way as above, rear first then the mount bushing.

Note also, that the springs will very nearly fall out on their own; and in fact WILL if you unbolt the shocks from the axle. Might as well set the old wore-out ones you have now aside and slap some nice new ones up in there instead. And then, it's only 2 more nuts to take out the shocks, wo you might as well... And it's SOOOOOPER EEEEEEEZY to change out the sway bar bushings & end links, preferably with poly; might as well do those too. And of course change out the mount bushing, goes without saying.

For most jobs, transmission R&R for example, you don't really need to remove it. Best to leave it in if it doesn't absolutely have to come out.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 AM

The torque arm is a UMI torque arm that mounts to the body/frame. I have to remove it at the transmission in order to get transmission out. I don't want to remove it at the back necessarily. Do I still need to hang the suspension in this case to take it off at transmission? It would try to rotate up I assume as the way the springs are positioned on rear side of the rear axel. I probably should have not titled it as torque arm removal I just get the thing out of the way. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Doesn't matter what brand it is, the springs are trying to rotate it upwards, when there's force on them. So yeah, I'd suspect that if you need it out of the way, you'd want to do it using the same method, to take all that force off of it. Not sure how a tunnel-mount piece would have to be removed from the trans, but w/e, if that's how it is, then that's how it is.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:58 AM

OK thanks. Appreciate the response very much.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Subscribed (#1766...I learn SO much here!)