Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Gasoline and long term storage ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Gasoline and long term storage ???

As some may know, I exported my 1992 Trans Am GTA 3 years ago. The country it's in thankfully has old school ethanol-free gasoline. I had filled the tank, added Sta-Bil, and done a fresh oil change with Redline. Once a year I've been running it up to full temp for about 30 mins and various lower RPMs. Now that it's 3 year old gas, I'm going to pump the tank dry tomorrow and fill it with fresh gas. I wanted to get some input on strategies to ensure the gas stays as stable as possible for as long as possible.

First, I know that octane level decreases with age, so I'll be filling it up with 95 RON. Second, I'll be adding more Sta-Bil as that's about all I can buy in this country.

Third, I'consdiering adding SeaFoam. My reasoning for this is that running my car on the aging gas inbetween tanks is probably gumming up my injectors a bit which were nice new Bosch III a few years ago. Also I think it may help my fuel pump too, which is also new as of several years ago.

What does everyone here think? Will the Seafoam interfere with how Sta-Bil works? Should I add a higher than specified amount of Sta-Bil and will that help? Should I be adding an octane booster every year? Should I be adding more Sta-Bil every year? Shoud I add more SeaFoam every year? I'm just trying brain storm some strategies.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!! Alex
Old 07-31-2018, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Gasoline and long term storage ???

Originally Posted by T.L.
Check out Carb Defender by Driven products...
Thanks but I know for sure the local auto parts doesn't stock that :/

So it looks like SeaFoam bills themselves as being a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil. So maybe I should instead do Sta-Bil and a large bottle of Techron?

Dammit, also just found out I should have been adding Sta-Bil each year, not just once. Grrrr, lesson learned on that one.

Last edited by 92GTA; 07-31-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Attached is one of the buckets I pumped out of my tank this morning. That's a little over 3 years old with Sta-Bil added. The car fired right up and run just fine, and it left no residue on the inside of the gas tank surprisingly.

So I've learned a few things from this experience. If I let it go to a 4th year, it looks like that varnish color would start taking on physical properties and start leaving a gummy film so I got it out of there just in time. Due to the system being so sealed and my car being kept in a shipping container in a hot climate, there was ZERO moisture in the tank/fuel from what I could tell (I removed the fuel sending unit to pump out the fuel so I got a good look and removed every last tiny drop).

That said, I think what will work for me is only putting a couple gallons of fuel in it with Sta-Bil and Techron added and run it to get all the old fuel out of the lines and fuel rails. Each year I'll add a fresh gallon and the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil and Techron to it and run the car for the 30 mins for a few days in a row (like 2 or 3 days). I also put it into reverse and drive for a bit as well and creep the car forward and back each year to ensure the brakes don't freeze and the tires don't flat spot totally.

My low-speed electric fan stopped working so the high-speed one kicks in at 220, nice and hot, and keeps it there even cycling on and off with no problem.
Attached Thumbnails Gasoline and long term storage ???-wp_20180801_07_59_02_rich.jpg  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 748 Likes on 507 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I think keep on doing what you are doing and it'll be fine. Hope things are well your way!
Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TTOP350
I think keep on doing what you are doing and it'll be fine. Hope things are well your way!
Hey, thanks man! Good to hear from ya.

Irma really did a number and I lost everything in the house but everything in the 40ft container was untouched. Unfortunately, I had several now impossible to find and priceless NOS parts in the closet of my master bedroom thinking that was the safest place. The opposite happened and everything in that room was a complete loss. Really sucks. Even lost most documentation for the car, except for the original window sticker that was in a frame in another room. Things like NOS taillights, a fully refurbished factory CD player that was the best of 3 I had redone by that company with the very last of the parts they had, NOS center console and NOS lid, and a box filled with small parts like NOS center caps, PW switches, mirror switch, stuff like that.

Worst of all, the homemakers only covered damage to the house, nothing personal inside. That's just how policies are written down here unless you pay WAY extra and document literally everything.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 748 Likes on 507 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Oh man that's horrible... but glad everyone is ok.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TTOP350
Oh man that's horrible... but glad everyone is ok.
For sure.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Sorry to hear about your losses.

I think it's important to keep the tank near full in storage. That will keep condensation in your tank at bay.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Good to hear from you! You moved down there to be with you Mom, correct? Hope all is well with the family. I do have a question though. It looks to me everything you are doing to keep the car up is working. But how long do you plan on doing that? What is the end goal of keeping your car in a shipping container? Just curious, that's all.
Take care!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by chazman
Sorry to hear about your losses.

I think it's important to keep the tank near full in storage. That will keep condensation in your tank at bay.
Thanks.

I'll give that more consdieration. Even though I had no moisture contamination, I suppose I may have to worry about possible surface rust inside the tank above the fuel level.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Good to hear from you! You moved down there to be with you Mom, correct? Hope all is well with the family. I do have a question though. It looks to me everything you are doing to keep the car up is working. But how long do you plan on doing that? What is the end goal of keeping your car in a shipping container? Just curious, that's all.
Take care!
You know, I get asked that on a daily basis by everyone lol. Locals are circling like vultures thinking they may get a deal, never gonna happen. The container seems to be perfect for protecting it from the sea air and hot enough that mold can't grow. The car is as good as when brought it down here except for 2 small electrical issues I'll sort out (the rear view mirror map light and the low speed fan). I'm using the super nice custom car cover from Firehawk #003 I kept.

To answer your question, I have no idea. I just know that after more than 18 years of ownership I never want to part with it. I'm still a broken man from having to sell my 1956 Corvette haha! I'm more determined than ever to never sell the GTA. Once I finish building on a garage to the house end of 2019, it will move from the container into the garage with a dehumidifier (maybe into a CarCoon). Who knows what the future holds, I just know I'll still have my GTA.

Last edited by 92GTA; 08-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

I believe on the Stabil Bottle it has amounts to last 2 years, not sure how much you added...
Some people don't like that it's red and "stains" things...
I've used it personally on cars, lawn equipment, and NEVER had a problem...
Gas has never SAT over 2 years in any of my items, but still, no problems starting / running things...

Rafael
Old 08-02-2018, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I would have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to drain the tank, and let what remains evaporate, when storing for such a long term. Pull the plugs, fog the cylinders, put the plugs back in, stuff rags in the tail pipes and intake... Make a checklist of all the things undone for storage and hang it on the rear view, then when you get back to it, remove all the rags, add gas, cross fingers and go.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
I would have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to drain the tank, and let what remains evaporate, when storing for such a long term. Pull the plugs, fog the cylinders, put the plugs back in, stuff rags in the tail pipes and intake... Make a checklist of all the things undone for storage and hang it on the rear view, then when you get back to it, remove all the rags, add gas, cross fingers and go.
That occurred to me but I much like the idea of having good fuel in the lines and rails so the newer injectors don't get fouled. I'm worried even if I let everything evaporate, places like the fuel rails will just allow some old gas to sit and turn into the mustard crap that it does lol. I'm worried about the fuel pump too.

I have some fresh gas with stabilizer and Techron I'll be putting in early tomorrow morning and running it for a while.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Originally Posted by Drew
I've tried the empty tank with the lawn mower every winter and no matter how well I try to get the gas out, the last few drops evaporating always foul up the carb. I gave up with that and started storing stuff with gas in it.

The less exposure to oxygen (causing oxidation and break down) and air (evaporation) the better, so you are better off with a full tank and full fuel lines. Humidity/condensation is more of an issue with ethanol added (you said no ethanol in your gas), since alcohols are hygroscopic, attract and absorb water which in the end causes the sludge/breakdown to get worse and also causes corrosion (our fuel lines are not stainless, unless you have flex fuel injectors even the pintles on most injectors will rust...

I've had MUCH better luck with the Marine Stabil (the blue stuff) than the normal stuff. I've stored stuff with even chit ethanol gas in it for 4,5,6 maybe more years with this stuff in it and it started right up when I came back to it, but I also usually put it in at about 2x the recommended dosage and let it run around for a while before shutting things down. I doubt the injector cleaner is doing much for you, if the stuff runs it's probably OK. OTOH, if it makes you feel better, the Techron stuff is good stuff... I don't see it hurting.

I'm with Drew on fogging the cylinders (I'd probably just use ATF but there are spray fogging products just for this). Some corrosion in the bores and the ring wear/damage at startup is potentially a much bigger $$$ problem than the fuel system plugged up. Same with blocking off the intake and exhaust. I had a car that I thought was carefully stored that some squirrels figured out how to get acorns into the intake and that was a mess to get going again, I had to take the intake manifold off and clean it out. I would also duct tape off the cowl vents (heater boxes are famous for being mouse nesting places) and if you've punched any holes in grommets (I had a car that I put a small hole in grommet in the spare tire well to run an N2O line out and even with the N2O line in it somehow a mouse figured out how to use it to get in and out and used my bottle blanket as nesting material and ate through my bottle heater).

Once you get it all stored I wouldn't mess with it till you get ready to run it again. Then change the oil, clean everything up and run it (If you have a truck or something you can drain the gas off into that and burn it, but honestly with the blue stabil in it I'd run gas multiple years old). Messing with it in between times is likely not gaining you anything unless you notice something you missed, of course you could forget it this time...