Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Saftey

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z-28 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: richmond 3.73, eaton posi
Saftey

This isen't a thirdgen in particular thread but I figured I'd share what happend on Tuesday morning working on my wife's Tahoe. I got home from work around midnight, and I needed to fix the transmission in my wife's tahoe, I just re-built it from a sunshell frag and it dident have 2nd or 4th, so either the band pin fell out or I messed up the 2-4 servo, so I was going to drop the pan to take a look, I set it up in the driveway with jackstands under the front and I left the jack in position, well when I was disconnecting the shift likinage I knocked it out of gear.....it proceeded fall off the jackstands and to roll down the driveway since I left the jack under the front it fell on the jack and it kept the front raised until it stopped at the bottom of the drivewayand fell off the jack. All I remember is keeping my legs moving trying to keep them from being run over and the 6 or 7 pops from my chest when it came to a stop with my arm pinned to my chest. I managed to wiggle my arm loose and crawl out where 911 was called..
I consider myself lucky, I have some roadrash, a broken rib, a broken collarbone, and a broken breastbone...always make sure all your safty equipment is in place...I forgot to chalk the tires and it almost killed me.

PS I have the security cam footage but couldn't fig out how to post it.

Last edited by 84 Z-28 350; 08-20-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.5 turbo
Transmission: Performabuilt 4l60E
Axle/Gears: Strange rear, 3.42
Re: Safty

I had a similar incident years ago, I was working on my car in the condo parking lot where I had lived, I had the car raised up in the rear sitting on two safety stands, It was a hot day and the asphalt was soft, I was under the rear end at the time and I heard this weird creaking sound, I immediately shuffled out from under the car and the car fell down. The one safety stand sank into the asphalt and tipped over, I should have had plywood or something under the safety stands to prevent this from happening. It really woke me up. Now when I am under my car, I always have that memory in my head. Sorry to hear about your injuries but you are right when you said "I consider myself lucky".
Old 08-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Jeezuz. Bet you wish you had come home, drank beer, and had a fight with the wife about how you never finish anything....

This is why never jack up a vehicle on an incline. Flat, level, and preferably 6"+ reinforced concrete.

GD
Old 08-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're all right and will at least be able to recover. I can remember working in a Chevy dealership on a rainy Saturday morning in October and a Tahoe came in for an oil change. I got it up on my 2 post lift with the arms locked in place and on in the frame. I couldn't get the oil filter off to save my life. I was rocking and wiggling it and it wouldn't budge. I hear a loud pop from behind me and thought it was 1 of the guys blowing up a small coolant bomb as a joke on another tech. When I turned around to look, everyone was busy. I looked up a little and saw that the passenger side back arm had fallen off of the frame and that was the bang that I heard. I figured it was still under the vehicle and I would be fine. But, right then the front one on the same side slipped right off of the front frame. If it wasn't for the tech next to me hearing the bangs and seeing my face, and quickly pulling me out, the Tahoe would have fallen right on top of me instead of the 55 gallon oil drum that I used as a fluid catch can. It fell off of the lift on the passenger side and pretty well wrecked it. Once we were able to pull it out from between the 2 posts and roll it back on its wheels, the 55 gallon drum was now only a couple of inches tall. I would've been dead if the tech next to me hadn't reacted so quickly. To this day, I get a chill every time I go under a car. I use jack stands now and when messing with the transmission I always use a wheel chock on both sides of at least 1 tire.