Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

89 camaro wont start without pedal to the floor wont idle and bogs while or givigas

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 camaro wont start without pedal to the floor wont idle and bogs while or givigas

Hey guys first time posting I've had a tone of problems with my car ever since i got it. Guy told me car just needed paint come to find out there's a whole in the floor and needs rocker and inner rocker. He stuffed bees PM aperitif and blonde on it to cover it up👌 so for starters that's what I'm dealing with haha. But just got the car running good for about a month after getting new ICU, fuel pump sparkplugs, and wires, a long with new brake lines and brakes I'm stuck back at square one. So what happened after ik gkt the thing running great I did a burnout and immediately after it began bogging like as if it were running on 4 cylinders had no power and the car shut off. The only way I could get it started was to put the pedal to the floor and after letting off it would shut off unless I kept pumping the gas but and still It sounds like it has no spark in some of the cylinders. I got home took out a couple spark p.k lugs and gas started pooringnout of the block. Btw biggest pain in the *** to change spark plugs especially with no jack and at 8pm. This car is a giant money pit and I dont have the money but I cant get my self to sell it. I'll lus it never runs long enough to sell it please help if anyone has any ideas that would be great. It also had a full tank of gas and now it says there's no gas. Kinda scary to think all my gas could be in my engine but I dont thinkthat's possible. It wouldn't turn over thought it was seized but I smelt gas s ok u know it was flooded but after taking all the plugs out I cranked the car over a couple times and bought new spark plugs still doing the same ****. Sorry for my life story with the thing but j find sometimes it helps know a bit of back ground on it
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Re: 89 camaro wont start without pedal to the floor wont idle and bogs while or givig

Originally Posted by Breezy
Hey guys first time posting I've had a tone of problems with my car ever since i got it. Guy told me car just needed paint come to find out there's a whole in the floor and needs rocker and inner rocker. He stuffed bees PM aperitif and blonde on it to cover it up👌 so for starters that's what I'm dealing with haha. But just got the car running good for about a month after getting new ICU, fuel pump sparkplugs, and wires, a long with new brake lines and brakes I'm stuck back at square one. So what happened after i got the thing running great I did a burnout and immediately after it began bogging like as if it were running on 4 cylinders had no power and the car shut off. The only way I could get it started was to put the pedal to the floor and after letting off it would shut off unless I kept pumping the gas but and still It sounds like it has no spark in some of the cylinders. I got home took out a couple spark plugs and gas started pooringnout of the block. Btw biggest pain in the *** to change spark plugs especially with no jack and at 8pm. This car is a giant money pit and I dont have the money but I cant get my self to sell it. I'll lus it never runs long enough to sell it please help if anyone has any ideas that would be great. It also had a full tank of gas and now it says there's no gas. Kinda scary to think all my gas could be in my engine but I dont thinkthat's possible. It wouldn't turn over thought it was seized but I smelt gas s ok u know it was flooded but after taking all the plugs out I cranked the car over a couple times and bought new spark plugs still doing the same ****. Sorry for my life story with the thing but j find sometimes it helps know a bit of back ground on it
sorry about the spelling I got a new phone and it goes full retard with spell check
Old 12-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Re: 89 camaro wont start without pedal to the floor wont idle and bogs while or givig

More info on the car is needed.
89 rs or iroc?
V6 or v8?
Tbi or tpi?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Sounds like you have major injector and/or fuel pressure regulator issues. Also need to check to make sure the injectors aren't getting a constant ground signal, etc. The stock (TPI) injectors are known problems on these cars. After you check for power/ground to the injectors, proper injector pulse from the ECM - if all that checks out then probably time for some new injectors. South Bay Fuel Injectors makes nice Bosch III replacements kits and also has the FP regulators, etc if you have a TPI setup.

Drain all the gas and change the oil. It will surely be full of gasoline and you'll destroy the engine if you run it that way.

GD
Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 PM

Sorry about that it's a camaro rs 5.0 305 with tbi I noticed today that the passenger side injector is leaking into the carb I feel like it could have blown the seal but I could be wrong I have a gasket kit but the screws are tapped in the injectors I just recently had the tbi rebuilt at rock auto but the gaskets seam pretty cheap. I should just test for spark and a fuel pressure I'll check it out tmr.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:55 AM
Pro
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 and 1995 Silverado
Engine: 5.7 TPI and 5.7 TBI to TPI convert
Transmission: 700R4 and 4l60E
Axle/Gears: G80 3.23 and open 3.42

Yes its probably flooding at start, and by flooring it youre putting it in clear flood mode, shutting off the injectors.
So like GD said check the fuel pressure back at the fuel filter. The pressure will probably drop instantly when it stops priming, so you'll need to crimp the return fuel line so that pressure will hold. I believe it's around 13 PSI, plus or minus a couple. After that, just rebuild the TBI. Its easy and there are even a few videos on youtube. If it's anything like the truck's, you just need to disconnect a few sensors, fuel lines, injectors, and remove a couple of bolts holding it to the intake. Then using the correct star sockets, take the unit apart, replace the gaskets and 2 injectors. You can get rebuild kits that have all of the gaskets on ebay. The injectors, southbay may have. Or you can just use the cheapos from Ebay, whatever you want. Leave the pressure regulator spring in there, unless its broken. The one that comes in these kits are flimsy and will drop your PSI a few points and the car will run like garbage.
When I did this on my truck several years ago when it was TBI, it ran so much better.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:07 PM

Hey thanks for everyone's help during this I didnt have a lot of time with work, but I ordered one new Injector and a gasket rebuild kit for the tbi and got the car back and running withing a half hour happy holidays everyone I appreciate the quick responces.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

Glad to hear you got it back on the road.