Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 GTA cut out at highway speed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: Automatic Transmission
91 GTA cut out at highway speed!

after spending most of last summer trying to figure out why the car wudn't start.. it was determined the pcm was faulty. I bought a new reman from rockauto and its seemed to fix the problem.. today i took it on the highway for the first time in about 18 months or so.. and as soon as i hit 100km/hr ( 60mph ) the check engine light flashed once or twice and the car stalled and won't start since. I changed the injectors last summer as well.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 669 Likes on 477 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 91 GTA cut out at highway speed!

Originally Posted by goalieforlife
after spending most of last summer trying to figure out why the car wudn't start.. it was determined the pcm was faulty. I bought a new reman from rockauto and its seemed to fix the problem.. today i took it on the highway for the first time in about 18 months or so.. and as soon as i hit 100km/hr ( 60mph ) the check engine light flashed once or twice and the car stalled and won't start since. I changed the injectors last summer as well.
Flat out won't start is usually "punch in the head obvious" once you get into the troubleshooting , it's very most likely totally lost either spark or fuel . You say the check engine light came on , did you do the "paperclip" trick yet to check the codes ? If not (and if you never heard of the paperclip trick) just search the word paperclip here and literally dozens of threads will turn up describing it . So , in this order , do the ;

Paperclip code check

check for proper spark

fuel pressure check

Then report back your results ...
Old 05-08-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Flat out won't start is usually "punch in the head obvious" once you get into the troubleshooting , it's very most likely totally lost either spark or fuel . You say the check engine light came on , did you do the "paperclip" trick yet to check the codes ? If not (and if you never heard of the paperclip trick) just search the word paperclip here and literally dozens of threads will turn up describing it . So , in this order , do the ;

Paperclip code check

check for proper spark

fuel pressure check

currently broke down on the highway... it may be the coil which is one of the only things I didn't change.. goin to do the coil bypass now see if it will fire up
Old 05-08-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird

Paperclip code check

check for proper spark

fuel pressure check

check the codes... looked like it flashed 12 over and over.. ..distributor?

Last edited by goalieforlife; 05-08-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Sponsor

Received 674 Likes on 595 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

The light on when it died could of not stored a code. Start with basics. Fuel pressure , injector pulse and spark.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
The light on when it died could of not stored a code. Start with basics. Fuel pressure , injector pulse and spark.
​​​​​

Plugs are only a couple years old... injectors new last summer.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Plugs are only a couple years old... injectors new last summer.
Doesn't matter if they were new this morning. If the car doesn't run, the car doesn't run.

Compression, air/fuel, spark. The 3 Magic Ingredients. That's all it takes for an engine to run. A die-while-driving-down-the-road-and-won't-start-back-up clearly means one of the Magic 3 has gone missing. Your task now is not to argue about what you've replaced over the last couple of years, but to determine which one disappeared TODAY, and why. If you want us to help, that is. If all you want to do is argue about it, then we don't have to be bothered.

Now that we've gotten past that mental block...

Shoot some starting fluid into the TB. Try to start it. If it hits a few licks and then dies, and doesn't even do that until you squirt some more starting fluid in it, you have a fuel problem.

Congratulations. You just checked off #1 of The 3 Magic Ingredients. If that didn't make it start, keep going.

Compression doesn't usually "go away" suddenly on its own to the point that the motor instantly stops running while driving happily down the highway, except for ONE cause. That being, a timing set failure. If your engine still has the type of cam sprocket with the phenolic teeth molded over chinesium gums, then as the chain wears, it puts stress on the teeth, trying to pull them apart as the space between the links of the chain grows. Eventually the teeth can't stand it any more and they strip off. Eeeeeezy enough to troubleshoot for this; take off the dist cap, unplug the pink & white wire connectors at the coil, unplug the injector harnesses, and have your assistant hold the throttle wide open and whirl the engine over. If the dist doesn't move, or moves in small jerks, or otherwise isn't moving the same as the engine is spinning, or if the engine sounds like it has no compression or seems to be forcefully pushing air into either the intake manifold or the exhaust, you need a timing set. Get either yerbasic stock replacement one, or a GOOD QUALITY roller; NOT a cheeeeep "truck roller" set. While you've got the dist cap off, pull the rotor and LOOK REAL CAREFULLY at everything down inside there, especially the reluctor (star wheel) which unfortunately is hard to see because it usually has a sort of shield over it. But look closely anyway because ... you're already there anyway.

You just checked off #2 of the Big 3.

If both of those check out, you have a spark problem. At this point, since the whole engine failed all at once and not just one cylinder, chances are something that affects all 8 cylinders broke. Probably not the spark plugs; all 8 of them probably didn't fail completely hard all at exactly the same instant with no warning whatsoever. Could have, but I'd guess that the probability probably has AT LEAST 30 zeroes to the right of the decimal point before a non-zero number is reached... IOW, it has NEVER happened in the history of The Car, and it will take about 100 trillion years before the probability reaches 50% that it happens to ONE car. We can safely rule that out I think; ELIMINATE park plugs from all further conversation. Probably not the coil although it could be. Far more likely it's something inside the distributor. See this post for further enlightenment. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...off-while.html In case the title sounds familiar, maybe it should, and maybe there's something you could learn from this guy's experience. After all, that's the beauty of the Interwebz... Algore gave us all the ability to profit from EVERYBODY ELSE'S MISTAKES!!! All we have to do is quit arguing, pay attention, and LEARN.

Come back and let us know what you found when you get it running. Or, if it turns out to be a fuel problem, how to quickly troubleshoot that without a bunch of "maybe it's this maybe it's that" kind of stuff.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Doesn't matter if they were new this morning. If the car doesn't run, the car doesn't run.

Compression, air/fuel, spark. The 3 Magic Ingredients. That's all it takes for an engine to run. A die-while-driving-down-the-road-and-won't-start-back-up clearly means one of the Magic 3 has gone missing. Your task now is not to argue about what you've replaced over the last couple of years, but to determine which one disappeared TODAY, and why. If you want us to help, that is. If all you want to do is argue about it, then we don't have to be bothered.

Now that we've gotten past that mental block...

Shoot some starting fluid into the TB. Try to start it. If it hits a few licks and then dies, and doesn't even do that until you squirt some more starting fluid in it, you have a fuel problem.

Congratulations. You just checked off #1 of The 3 Magic Ingredients. If that didn't make it start, keep going.

Compression doesn't usually "go away" suddenly on its own to the point that the motor instantly stops running while driving happily down the highway, except for ONE cause. That being, a timing set failure. If your engine still has the type of cam sprocket with the phenolic teeth molded over chinesium gums, then as the chain wears, it puts stress on the teeth, trying to pull them apart as the space between the links of the chain grows. Eventually the teeth can't stand it any more and they strip off. Eeeeeezy enough to troubleshoot for this; take off the dist cap, unplug the pink & white wire connectors at the coil, unplug the injector harnesses, and have your assistant hold the throttle wide open and whirl the engine over. If the dist doesn't move, or moves in small jerks, or otherwise isn't moving the same as the engine is spinning, or if the engine sounds like it has no compression or seems to be forcefully pushing air into either the intake manifold or the exhaust, you need a timing set. Get either yerbasic stock replacement one, or a GOOD QUALITY roller; NOT a cheeeeep "truck roller" set. While you've got the dist cap off, pull the rotor and LOOK REAL CAREFULLY at everything down inside there, especially the reluctor (star wheel) which unfortunately is hard to see because it usually has a sort of shield over it. But look closely anyway because ... you're already there anyway.

You just checked off #2 of the Big 3.

If both of those check out, you have a spark problem. At this point, since the whole engine failed all at once and not just one cylinder, chances are something that affects all 8 cylinders broke. Probably not the spark plugs; all 8 of them probably didn't fail completely hard all at exactly the same instant with no warning whatsoever. Could have, but I'd guess that the probability probably has AT LEAST 30 zeroes to the right of the decimal point before a non-zero number is reached... IOW, it has NEVER happened in the history of The Car, and it will take about 100 trillion years before the probability reaches 50% that it happens to ONE car. We can safely rule that out I think; ELIMINATE park plugs from all further conversation. Probably not the coil although it could be. Far more likely it's something inside the distributor. See this post for further enlightenment. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...off-while.html In case the title sounds familiar, maybe it should, and maybe there's something you could learn from this guy's experience. After all, that's the beauty of the Interwebz... Algore gave us all the ability to profit from EVERYBODY ELSE'S MISTAKES!!! All we have to do is quit arguing, pay attention, and LEARN.

Come back and let us know what you found when you get it running. Or, if it turns out to be a fuel problem, how to quickly troubleshoot that without a bunch of "maybe it's this maybe it's that" kind of stuff.

Alot of good info here.. Thanks. I've changed most of the suspected parts u listed except the distributor itself and the ignition coil.

But as stated just bc it was changed doesn't mean it hasn't failed so I will go over this again.. thanks so much and I will keep you all posted.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

The coil itself hardly ever goes bad; not saying it can't, or hasn't, just, it's not the most likely suspect. If it turns out to be a no-spark, odds are very high it's inside the distributor. Also, there's no real way to "bypass" it, except with another coil. Which of course, if you have access to one, they're SOOOOPER EEEEZY to swap, you just have to unplug and replug it, don't even have to mount it or anything. If you can do that, and it still doesn't start, and has 12V on the pink wire, it's probably not the coil.

I should also mention, it's POSSIBLE, though again HIGHLY UNLIKELY, that something in the tach circuit can cause this; typically a short either in the wiring or the noise filter. I can't recall how your setup is wired in that area, but if you follow the white wire away from the coil back toward the firewall and you come to a little metal can that you can unplug, that's the noise filter; if it still doesn't start with it unplugged then at that point you know the fault is in the dist.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:14 AM

The coil itself hardly ever goes bad; not saying it can't, or hasn't, just, it's not the most likely suspect. If it turns out to be a no-spark, odds are very high it's inside the distributor. Also, there's no real way to "bypass" it, except with another coil. Which of course, if you have access to one, they're SOOOOPER EEEEZY to swap, you just have to unplug and replug it, don't even have to mount it or anything. If you can do that, and it still doesn't start, and has 12V on the pink wire, it's probably not the coil.

I should also mention, it's POSSIBLE, though again HIGHLY UNLIKELY, that something in the tach circuit can cause this; typically a short either in the wiring or the noise filter. I can't recall how your setup is wired in that area, but if you follow the white wire away from the coil back toward the firewall and you come to a little metal can that you can unplug, that's the noise filter; if it still doesn't start with it unplugged then at that point you know the fault is in the dist.

upon inspection my current coil color is yellow so i must of changed it out with an accel ignition coil. | will try to get another coil just incase it did fail. with regards to the tach i have never heard of that before so that and the stuff mentioned above is worth looking into. Switching from a TBI to a TPI has not been fun so far. i sold my base bird and " upgraded " to the GTA.

Thank for all your help guys I got no plans to give up.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

Switching from a TBI to a TPI
At least the ignition systems are, for all practical purposes, the same. Same dist, same coil, etc. Anything you learned or own in the way of spare parts for the one, applies to the other.

Yes I would agree that an aftermarket coil is probably more likely to fail than OE. Also more likely to stress out the module, esp if the heat sink compound is less effective or it otherwise gets hotter than usual for whatever reason.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:00 PM

At least the ignition systems are, for all practical purposes, the same. Same dist, same coil, etc. Anything you learned or own in the way of spare parts for the one, applies to the other.

Yes I would agree that an aftermarket coil is probably more likely to fail than OE. Also more likely to stress out the module, esp if the heat sink compound is less effective or it otherwise gets hotter than usual for whatever reason.
yeah its probably worth changing just to see I also noticed after trying to start her today.. I do get a smell of fuel
Old 06-27-2020, 12:48 AM

UPDATE: Car is still broken and will not start... gonna check for spark tomorrow, i did change the fuel filter in case it got plugged.. it didnt.