Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1987 Firebird LG4 305, can't get power steering pump to swivel to remove belt.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 Firebird LG4 305, can't get power steering pump to swivel to remove belt.

Hello,

Having a real issue trying to get the power steering pump/bracket assembly to swivel or slide in order to remove the belt.
The bottom rear bolt facing the exhaust manifold is off and the bolt at the water pump is loose. Also, the bolt that lets the pump bracket to pivot is loose too.
I cannot get the assembly to slide up or down so that the power steering belt can be loosened and taken off. Anyone have this issue? Thanks.

George
Old 06-18-2020, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,284 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: 1987 Firebird LG4 305, can't get power steering pump to swivel to remove belt.

Yes, of course. But only when I didn't loosen the nut that's the main holding hardware.

That bolt out there in the open is pretty much only there for show. All it bolts is that flimsy little tin-foil bracket thing. The nut that goes on the stud you can see in the pic is what does the REAL work... the stud goes into the PUMP BODY. Make sure you put the nut back and tighten it properly when you're through.

And of course, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES pry on the reservoir (the big sheet-metal piece that the cap goes into) to tighten the belt!!! you WILL destroy the reservoir, and it will then leak like all hell from the big O-ring behind the pulley that seals the reservoir to the pump body.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sagi...iw=976&bih=796

Here's what the pump body and the reservoir look like.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 PM

Re: 1987 Firebird LG4 305, can't get power steering pump to swivel to remove belt.

Update. Found the mystery nut that needs to be loosened. It was below and in front of the exhaust manifold. Can't see it , you have to feel for it. Loosened it , now the whole assembly pivots up and down. The nut is a 15 mm. MIne was not greasy or grimey at all.

Last edited by GMP318; 06-18-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,284 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yup, the one you can clearly see in the photo. Not a bolt; a nut. Piece o cake except that you can't see it. Well, unless of course you take it to the quarter car wash and clean the accumulated grunge of 35 years and 2xx,xxx miles off of everything, like in the photo.

Study the images in the Google link CAREFULLY. Note that you DO NOT want to pry on the reservoir (the big oval-shaped blob that the cap goes onto) while tightening. You WILL destroy it and create the PS leak from Hell. Might even want to click on the Summit link for the reservoir and take a look at it so you know what you're supposed to avoid. Otherwise no one will have any pity on you when you come back here and complain "I tried to tighten my PS pump but now all the fluid falls out". We'll all just laugh at (ahem... WITH) you and say we told you so.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Yup, the one you can clearly see in the photo. Not a bolt; a nut. Piece o cake except that you can't see it. Well, unless of course you take it to the quarter car wash and clean the accumulated grunge of 35 years and 2xx,xxx miles off of everything, like in the photo.

Study the images in the Google link CAREFULLY. Note that you DO NOT want to pry on the reservoir (the big oval-shaped blob that the cap goes onto) while tightening. You WILL destroy it and create the PS leak from Hell. Might even want to click on the Summit link for the reservoir and take a look at it so you know what you're supposed to avoid. Otherwise no one will have any pity on you when you come back here and complain "I tried to tighten my PS pump but now all the fluid falls out". We'll all just laugh at (ahem... WITH) you and say we told you so.
Been working on cars since 80 and and very well versed on what to pry on or not to pry on when tightening power steering and other accessory belts.
I use an adjusting tool that spreads and pushes on the pulleys to set the belt tensions. I recommend this tool for these kind of jobs.