Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Test driving my IROC

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test driving my IROC

I have not introduced myself here yet so... Hello!

I have been on light duty and stuck in the office and all I get done is reading all the storys about who beat who in these races. Very cool. I have no idea what half the stuff means when you all use tech terms and start talking about whats in the cars.

To my story.
I had a 1989 RS 2.8 while in highschool and always wanted the IROC 5.7 1989 that my uncle had. Sad part is he died last Sept, good part is he left me the car with 60,000 miles on it. Just got around to doing a full tune up and decided to take it out and see how it ran before I dove into doing bumper to bumper clean and removing the damn bumper stickers off the car. (remember the sticker for later).

Pulled up to the light in a small town just down the road. Sitting at the light trying to hear the miss it has had since I got it. Some kid pulled up with a BRIGHT green something small and sounded like a bee orgy. He keeps reving it up and the light goes green and he is gone. Sorry I cant tell you what it is. Looked like a honda civic but all the decals and badges had been taken off leaving only a small NOS sticker on the back bumper. BTW I didnt try to race my baby.. YET

About a hour later on my way home at the same damn light a vet pulls up. Rolls down his window and some young kid goes "Hey deputy carpenter want to race?"... I say "Nope", he says "But your a VET KILLER HAHAHAHAHA" and he is gone like a flash.

I get home wondering what the heck he was talking about. Started to take the bumper stickers off and it hits me. The one says VETKILLER in this weird writing with no spaces. LOL I thought it was a band my uncle liked LOL. And no my car is not a vet killer. All stock 1989 IROC 5.7 with most of the factory 1LE or I think thats the rpo code. But it does have AC and the Fog Lights so I know its not. I am just saying it has the alum drive shaft, performance rear end, and the dual cats. I remember my uncle saying he ordered it special from the dealer and it taking several months for him to get it. Maybe that had something to do with it, maybe not. Thanks for hearing my story. Now if you want some cop storys I will gladly share.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:20 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Test driving my IROC

all i know is i'm lonely
Old 09-06-2008, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex
all i know is i'm lonely
LOL not sure what your implying...
Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '85 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

Why pick on vettes when there are so many other cars new and old to possibly humiliate. Sorry for the loss of your uncle. Seemed like a smart guy to leave it in your hands though. Enjoy it..nice ride...pics?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

sorry about your uncle

if he specal ordered it there will be a RPO code 1AZ thats customer special order

1AY would be dealer special order

look for 1LE also, that would be the perfornance package that is super sexy
Old 09-06-2008, 12:35 PM

No 1LE, but I do see a 1AZ. Hey thanks, thats really cool to know that now. The RPO sheet I have is off a forum with only the "nice" codes on it like drive shaft and so on.

No worries about my uncle. He had a good but short life. He had a lot of medical issues and they caught up with him.

I will get some pictures up soon. She is the basic looking red coupe with the fake black vents on the hood. The rims have started to pit a little and the clear coat is coming off them as well. I like to say I have fuzzy rims.

Yes I am a cop. County deputy in Ohio since 1999. My official stance is I do not support street racing. The reports are really long to write when someone losses or wins the race BIG time.... And the death notification to mom/dad/wife/kids really takes the fun out of the race for us cops. HOWEVER...... In theory I think if you and the other person know what your doing. I say take it to a safe place and have fun.

So in theory... In the event that I am again at a red light and someone with a *****/tuner car comes up to me. What should I look for in that kind of car that tells me I am about to get stomped? I know some about about American muscle cars and know almost nothing about jap cars and what they can do other than make noise.

Beside I cheat most of the time. My work car has a light bar on top!

Everyone be safe
Old 09-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84' Corvette, 96' Caprice
Engine: LT1, L99
Transmission: T-56, 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 3.07 POSI, 2.93 Open

Originally Posted by IROCben
No 1LE, but I do see a 1AZ. Hey thanks, thats really cool to know that now. The RPO sheet I have is off a forum with only the "nice" codes on it like drive shaft and so on.

No worries about my uncle. He had a good but short life. He had a lot of medical issues and they caught up with him.

I will get some pictures up soon. She is the basic looking red coupe with the fake black vents on the hood. The rims have started to pit a little and the clear coat is coming off them as well. I like to say I have fuzzy rims.

Yes I am a cop. County deputy in Ohio since 1999. My official stance is I do not support street racing. The reports are really long to write when someone losses or wins the race BIG time.... And the death notification to mom/dad/wife/kids really takes the fun out of the race for us cops. HOWEVER...... In theory I think if you and the other person know what your doing. I say take it to a safe place and have fun.

So in theory... In the event that I am again at a red light and someone with a *****/tuner car comes up to me. What should I look for in that kind of car that tells me I am about to get stomped? I know some about about American muscle cars and know almost nothing about jap cars and what they can do other than make noise.

Beside I cheat most of the time. My work car has a light bar on top!

Everyone be safe
Thats pretty cool that your a cop, if i'm ever in ohio and i get a ticket i'll be your bestfriend. HAHA Next time run that little gay green thing into the ground with that beast.I Look forward to seeing the pics of your car.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

your a cop, my father was a officer for 21 years.....anyway you may want to look into the old 3rd gen police cars they had, the B4C's, here is a little history on em taken from this site

"B4C `Special Service' police package became available to law enforcement agencies only. Cars were RS coupes with Z28 5.0 TPI or 5.7 TPI drivetrains and Z28 suspensions. These cars came equipped with the 16 inch wheels and P245/50-ZR16 tires, engine oil cooler, rear disc brakes, and limited slip axle. Midyear, the 1LE 11.86 inch front brakes and HD calipers became optional for the B4C. This package was the only way to get air conditioning and the HD front brakes. There were 592 1991 B4C Camaros built."

hope you like the pics
Attached Thumbnails Test driving my IROC-police01.jpg   Test driving my IROC-police08.jpg   Test driving my IROC-9801032.jpg  
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 355c.i.
Transmission: Turbo 350, w/shift kit

Where are you a cop at in Ohio? I live in Mount Vernon Ohio.

As far as what to watch out for...DSM can be MEAN. An eclipse,laser or talon. If you see the letters "TSI,GST,GSX". Watch out they are turbo'd. Doesnt take much to make them fast.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Deck your car out with the "under cover" red & blues....Let the other guy think your up for a race, let him launch, then flip on the lights.....

I had fun a few times as a volunteer firefighter, with my wig wag headlights (no red & blues)....Sure did make the other guys find the brakes!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
Deck your car out with the "under cover" red & blues....Let the other guy think your up for a race, let him launch, then flip on the lights.....

I had fun a few times as a volunteer firefighter, with my wig wag headlights (no red & blues)....Sure did make the other guys find the brakes!

haha nice, i'm a volunteer Firefighter up here in upstate NY.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:07 AM

The new thing around here is to remove every logo/badge from your car, lower it, stick a loud muffler on it, and race up and down our main drag. Doesnt really effect me until the city cops run them out into the county where I have to deal with them.

When I first heard you all call it ***** Fly By I about died laughing. I wish I could count the times I am heading one way in my cruiser at 60 mph and a ***** is coming the other way going about 80, sees me and puts the hammer down.... Now thats a fly by. Sad part is, I can slow down, spin around and still catch them and I have a HEAVY Ford Crown Vic AND they truely tried to get away. I get up to the car and ask them why they tried to run from me and I always get "I wasnt....". To bad for them their cars are fast at first but they cant sustain it for long. Of coarse most of the kids have no idea how to build a fast quality car.

Now on the other hand... I have been smoked by more than one vet, camaro, and mustang. I was running radar one day and clocked a third gen going 90, they see me and nail it. By the time they got passed me and I pulled out all I saw was tail lights and they were gone! O and a lambo smoked me on the freeway one night. All i saw was a yellow flash and Zipppppppppp. I didnt even attempt that one, went back to drinking my coffee.

Thoughs are cool camaro cruisers. When I lived in Idaho a long time ago they had a few 90'ish camaro cop cars. I remember the bumpers having this painted on the back "You provide the chase, we provide the chaser". Wish I could find one of them for sale.

And for thoughs of you who asked, I live and work just south of Columbus Ohio. And no I am not telling you what department LOL. My luck I would have you all down here trying to race me in my vic. However if any of you locals want to hook up and meet for lunch with our cars I am up for that. Give me a private msg. Take it easy everyone.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM

Car: 87 Firebird Formula, 97' GMC Sierra
Engine: LT1, 4.3 Vortec
Transmission: T-56, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Posi, 3.42 Posi

lol, sounds like you have some fun while working. How are those newer vics for performance? I drive a 94' Caprice 9C1 and it's heavy, but boy will that thing move when you want it to, lol, especially from a roll. Have fun with your IROC and keep er clean.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 5-0 Blackbird
lol, sounds like you have some fun while working. How are those newer vics for performance? I drive a 94' Caprice 9C1 and it's heavy, but boy will that thing move when you want it to, lol, especially from a roll. Have fun with your IROC and keep er clean.

I will back a 9C1 Caprice for being fast. They truly are a sleeper. For being 4300+ lbs they are pretty nasty. I have seen vids of the crown vics doing about 8 sec 0-60's. the caprices are supposed to do under 7 sec 0-60mph. Did you ever drive a 9C1 back in the 90's Ben? Or are you not that old?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:11 AM

I have only driven a few old caprice's. I remember we had one as a DARE car for awhile and I drove it only one time. I remember it being beat up and almost dead. Of coarse it had been in service since it was new and should or retired years before.

Now the best car I ever got behind the wheel of was my first department had a 1995 Chevy Impala. You know, the old big body style. I called it my rocket ship. That car would flat out turn and burn like no other car. I have asked around and know one can remember what the car had in it or if it was a special police edition.

As for the Vic's. To be honest it depends on whos car your talking about. Mine for example is the Police Interceptor model with Z rated run flat tires. It seems to be a little faster than some of the other cars we have on the lot. I think its because I got it new two years ago and broke it in my way and have always tried to take it easy. She is nice and broken in now. However my last couple of cruisers were dogged out and pushed hard until about 60 then they would launch.

I would give my left nut to get a camaro or one of these chargers some city cops have as my patrol car.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member

most cops i talk to hate the vics, and loved the old caprices. said they falt out run the vics, and with most of the vics having a speed limiter on them (even the interceptors), seems most of the cops liked the caprices more...

i seen a 4cyl ford contour cop car in a town one day so it could be alot worse
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z
most cops i talk to hate the vics, and loved the old caprices. said they falt out run the vics, and with most of the vics having a speed limiter on them (even the interceptors), seems most of the cops liked the caprices more...

i seen a 4cyl ford contour cop car in a town one day so it could be alot worse
a 4 cyl cop car? HAHAHAHA like in europe LOL
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 1LE
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: G92 Perf. Axle

Originally Posted by IROCben
Now the best car I ever got behind the wheel of was my first department had a 1995 Chevy Impala. You know, the old big body style. I called it my rocket ship. That car would flat out turn and burn like no other car. I have asked around and know one can remember what the car had in it or if it was a special police edition.
The 9C1 Police Package on the '94-'96 Caprice used the LT1 engine, rated at around 260 horsepower. Far quicker than any Crown Vic, then or now.

In fact, when they stopped building the Caprices after 1996, a lot of police departments held on to their '96 models far longer than they usually kept cruisers, just because the officers liked them so much. Some departments still have a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9C1

FWIW, the '94-'96 Impala had the same drivetrain, but with cosmetic enhancements and a luxury interior. I'm betting the cruiser you drove was a 9C1 Caprice.

Last edited by TOM-1LE; 09-10-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TOM-1LE
The 9C1 Police Package on the '94-'96 Caprice used the LT1 engine, rated at around 260 horsepower. Far quicker than any Crown Vic, then or now.

In fact, when they stopped building the Caprices after 1996, a lot of police departments held on to their '96 models far longer than they usually kept cruisers, just because the officers liked them so much. Some departments still have a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9C1

FWIW, the '94-'96 Impala had the same drivetrain, but with cosmetic enhancements and a luxury interior. I'm betting the cruiser you drove was a 9C1 Caprice.
the 9C1 had a more rigid suspension.... and digital gauges.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:48 PM

if it was a 95' Impala, it had the LT1 350 in it. That's what my Caprice has in it, plus all the coolers n all that good stuff. It seems like a lotta cops around here love to beat their cars to death, mostly vics for town/ county guys and chevy tahoes for the state boys. Do you know if that 4cyl had any mods 89? if not, that'd be one short chase, lol. I guess if he could even keep track of you, he could follow you till your tank ran dry, but even then you'd probably have plenty of time to stop and fill er up and grab some "chase supplies", lol.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

if it was a 95' Impala, it had the LT1 350 in it. That's what my Caprice has in it, plus all the coolers n all that good stuff. It seems like a lotta cops around here love to beat their cars to death, mostly vics for town/ county guys and chevy tahoes for the state boys. Do you know if that 4cyl had any mods 89? if not, that'd be one short chase, lol. I guess if he could even keep track of you, he could follow you till your tank ran dry, but even then you'd probably have plenty of time to stop and fill er up and grab some "chase supplies", lol.

Hahaha Yea the Troopers up here are freakin crazy....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

Yeah, I agree, I have a 9C1 Caprice and it has suprised quite a few ricers around here. Thing is a boat, I took it through some moutain roads and it was fun. I actually ended up racing a 5.0 mustang through the turns and beat it... Good times... Thing wouldn't slide at all around turns, too heavy.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc Z28
Engine: The KING of the 3rd gen TPI's.
Transmission: Beefed up T5
Axle/Gears: Aussie 3.45's

I have 2 questions for you;

1) Do all Americans drive around town stoplight to stoplight and rolling down their windows asking people to race?

2) What kind of town do you live in where citizens can go around punking off the police by burning rubber in the face?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

[quote=5-0 Blackbird;3884382] Do you know if that 4cyl had any mods 89? if not, that'd be one short chase, lol. [quote]

as far as i know they were bone stock my friend had a craptour, with a cold air.....LOL its was ok, for a 4cyl DOHC, my sattys 1.9 DOHC ate its lunch, but it wansnt all stock, infact it was eating up Vtec DOHC Honda and Acuras

anyway his crap tour toped out at 110, and it took it a week to get there

Last edited by 89RS_82Z; 09-16-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM

[quote=89RS_82Z;3890163][quote=5-0 Blackbird;3884382] Do you know if that 4cyl had any mods 89? if not, that'd be one short chase, lol.

as far as i know they were bone stock my friend had a craptour, with a cold air.....LOL its was ok, for a 4cyl DOHC, my sattys 1.9 DOHC ate its lunch, but it wansnt all stock, infact it was eating up Vtec DOHC Honda and Acuras

anyway his crap tour toped out at 110, and it took it a week to get there
lol, nice, I don't mind all 4 cyl, just some ppl take it a bit far
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

[quote=5-0 Blackbird;3890403][quote=89RS_82Z;3890163]
Do you know if that 4cyl had any mods 89? if not, that'd be one short chase, lol.

lol, nice, I don't mind all 4 cyl, just some ppl take it a bit far

i agree, they have 140hp stock (eclipse) and act like they rule the road. its ridiculous. HA or most have even less hp stock.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by freestylzz
I have 2 questions for you;

1) Do all Americans drive around town stoplight to stoplight and rolling down their windows asking people to race?

2) What kind of town do you live in where citizens can go around punking off the police by burning rubber in the face?

1- In the area I patrol it happens all the time. I see a lot of ricers and sport bikes racing. Typically kids, but every now and then I find some old guys with old hot rods or vets teaching the ***** boys leasons on how to race. I usally find them once the kids get beat and they wave me down and tell me about the blue vet that is driving to fast! LOL

2- Well they can try to "punk" us. We typically win. Not because we have fast cars, but that we have radios and can typically catch them by out smarting them. BUT.... I have had them manage to get away. Typically it starts with them not seeing me until its to late and they know I am going to ticket them if I catch them for speeding or what ever they happen to be doing when I role up. So they try to ditch me or hide to avoid ticket, not so much them finding me and then doing something on purpose to get the chase started. Although I have had a few in my time.

One stands out to me the most. Old guy in a black vet, I have no idea year or model. We are stopped at a red light facing each other. He revs it up to get my attention I guess. No plate on the front. Light turns green and he lights it up and then like a flash he is gone. I turned on him but had no chance to even catch him. Sweet car just the same.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Car: 92 25th anv camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.08s non posi

funny, the cops here in roanoke county, they have chargers and they arent afraid to race people in them. loser gets the ticket lol. but hey i found a police camro for sell, well project i htink it was, heres the link if any1 is interested. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cama...ro-rs-b4c.html i think i would just speed and pull over just to say i got a ticket form a camaro cop. that would be cool to see, camaro pulled over by a camaro
Old 09-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DARKmj16
funny, the cops here in roanoke county, they have chargers and they arent afraid to race people in them. loser gets the ticket lol. but hey i found a police camro for sell, well project i htink it was, heres the link if any1 is interested. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cama...ro-rs-b4c.html i think i would just speed and pull over just to say i got a ticket form a camaro cop. that would be cool to see, camaro pulled over by a camaro

I wouldn't mind that, i just don't like getting pulled over by a slow crown vic. hahaha
Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

Car: 92 25th anv camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.08s non posi

ya i would do some speed, 100+, stop for the camaro, and get a pic, then frame em both lol. any of you cops here get one running, let me now please. i really would like to see one.
and ya those crown vics...atleast those you can see i dont like the unmarked mustang here in vinton. actually i dont like getting pulled over period lol