TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Randomly Dies - 305 TPI

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Engine Randomly Dies - 305 TPI

Hi all!

I've been a member here for several years, but this will be my first ever post. Normally I'm able to find answers to my problems digging through other forum post, but this issue has my quite stumped!

I have a 1988 Trans Am with the 305 TPI setup, completely stock. The problem I am having started about a year ago. While driving down to Georgia from Indiana, my car's engine (without any warning), just shut down while driving and would not immediately restart for several minutes. The car maintained power (all electrical aspects remained working without hesitation) throughout all of this, but the engine would only crank and not fire up. After 5-10 minutes of sitting, the car would start up again fine and run without problems for about a week or so of daily driving. But after a week or so the same problem would occur.

I replaced the ignition coil, pickup coil, ICM, rotor, and distributor cap all at the same time using all AC Delco parts. Additionally, a new fuel pump was recently installed and the spark plug wires are all less than two years old. I have followed the diagnostic to check all distributor wiring and everything checked out just fine. When I replaced the ICM, I used Artic Silver Ceramique thermal paste applied between the plate and ICM to ensure good heat transfer. With the engine running, I worked my way around the engine compartment in a clockwise fashion shaking and gently pulling on all wires (including grounds) to see if that might possibly be the culprit. I ran the codes and nothing is showing up. Despite all of this, I cannot seem to find the problem.

I have seen several other similar threads where this was resolved with the replacement of the distributor or its components, but for whatever reason this didn't work in my case. Figured I'd reach out and see if anyone had any other ideas because quite honestly I'm not sure what to think at this point! Haha.

Thanks much in advance,
~Chris~
Old 08-12-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Re: Engine Randomly Dies - 305 TPI

Video Link I found this online for the fuel tank vent. I was/am having a similar problem to yours, I was driving my 87 305 around on a hot day and it just shut off. I could get it to crank, but not fire and had to have it towed home. The vent being dirty was one of the possible causes I found searching the forums on here. The part is located on the drivers side rear, I was able to get it off with the car on the ground. I cleaned mine up and put it back. Just be careful to no break the plastic, as I couldn't find any new replacement parts at the parts store, they stopped making them a while ago. I also changed the filter on my carbon canister in the engine compartment. That filter was a couple bucks at the parts store.
Dave
Old 08-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Engine Randomly Dies - 305 TPI

When you try to restart your car does any lights on the dash come on? During the 5 mins of it not starting after it dies? If no lights come on like the service engine soon light you have a bad ignition switch