TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get 350 to 400 horse power

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get 350 to 400 horse power

Hi I have a 1989 trans am 350 and I’m trying to get
parts that fit correctly im new to basically anything car related so I think this is the right forum
but anyways I’m trying to get 350 to 400 horsepower
i have 49000 miles
mans the car is solid from the bottom up
just needs paint and bolt ons
so my question is what do I need to get specifically
if it was your car what would you add to get it there
thanks you very much I need all the help I can get along the way
oh and I want it to be naturally aspirated no turbos or super chargers I appreciate the help I can’t get
and I have about 2000 to put into it
could wiggle up a bit

sorry if this is the wrong thread I’m kinda lost
Old 07-31-2018, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2
Re: Trying to get 350 to 400 horse power

I’m not sure that’s possible with that budget. I’d like to see if anyone here knows any tricks besides Nitrous.

It takes a lot just to get 300hp performance.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

400hp pretty much isn't going to happen with a stock style TPI and no power adders. By design, TPI is built to make power at low RPM. The runners are tuned to develop peak power around 4500rpm. Most modifications that increase the HP of a SBC do above 4500rpm. So if you build a 350 that makes 400hp at 5,500+ RPM, and bolt on a stock style TPI intake, it's going to hold the engine back and kill power. To get that power back, the intake has to be changed. That's where carbs, the Stealth Ram or Mini Ram come in. None of the above look stock, and would be a tough modification to justify on a low mileage/original car.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:56 AM

What intake fits under the hood of a trans am

and then after I do that what headers should I install ?

I already have a full exhaust id have to look up what I have to be exact
Old 08-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Trinity! There is a wide range of headers that will work. I have a set of Hedman mid length headers on my car, but the power that you're looking to make, you will need long tube headers. It seems like Hooker headers seem to be the main choice for this forum based on all of the threads that I read when I was looking for headers for my car. As for the intake, that really depends on if you want to stick with fuel injection or go carbureted. There is a decent selection of intakes for either way that fit under the hood. As Drew mentioned, the Holley Stealth Ram or Mini Ram are 2 popular choices that a fair amount of members have that do help to add more horsepower to our cars. I hope this starts to help you. Do some searches for threads that talk about bolt ons and TPI horsepower adders or horsepower tricks for some more advice. You will find that you aren't the only person that is looking to add power, the question for you becomes if you're going to stay fuel injected or go carbureted, and that will decide a lot for you.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Thank you for replying helpfully
I’ll look into the headers i don’t know how to get the right size to fit?
I’m new to all this
as for the intake which one will fit under the hood of a trans am ?
I also want a cam to add on but idk what size
My engine is stock if that helps a little
and I want to keep tpi preferably
Old 08-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

Sounds like you need to figure out what you want. The cam, torque converter, rear, intake and tune all have to be matched.

Did you read the header sticky?
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exha...ion-chart.html

I would start with headers and full exhaust then figure out what combo you want for cam and drive train. Comps Cams makes a good line for TPI Decide what cam you like and match the rest to it.

Originally Posted by X77trinity77x
I’m new to all this
Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700

dont forget the stock TPI looks of the FIRST Intake
https://firstfuelinjection.com

it will flow 400+ hp with no issues...
Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by bk2life
dont forget the stock TPI looks of the FIRST Intake
https://firstfuelinjection.com

it will flow 400+ hp with no issues...
That first TPI looks awesome.. but $1200?

the $2000 budget is a tough one.. might have to triple or quadruple it to get the HP you’re looking for..
Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 AM

400hp+ Out of a 350 is costly, let alone time consuming. Bolt ons are going to run you well over 2,000, not at all trying to scare you away, but Take the time and Find the Right Deals. Trying to bolt on 200+ hp without a Nitrous System, Procharger, or a well fabricated Turbo setup with a large air Reserve inter-cooler is a streeeeetccchhhh, but it can be done $$$$. I've seen plenty of 2 bolt main setups turn 300+ HP at the Oval, but you're talking Trans Kits, High Stall converters, Forged Rods, preference of Pistons, Well over your budget right there on a Retail point of View. You also have to factor in Machine Shop costs if your not planning to modify the heads or the block yourself. A 3 angle valve job, magnaflux, and decking a set of heads here in CNY costs around 275$ if supplying the valve train components. A good (new) Cam set is around 200$ for a decent flat tappet kit, or 500+ for roller assemblies (Rods, Lifters, Cam).

I can tell you at a Moderately spent $1,475 and climbing, and a lot of Used/Reconditioned Parts/Junk Yard runs, I'm only pushing a HOPEFUL 260hp (will get dyno results soon once Sonnax shift kit goes into the 4l60e on next tear down) on a L05 350 TBI (454 tbi unit 350 injectors w/red 18psi spring, Tuned on Autoprom *100 burns later*, machined l31 vortec heads with LS1 valve train components with a LT1 F body cam, dual plane air gap intake, 30 over pistons, .015 shimmed head gaskets, Shorty Heads to a 2.25 dual out. 155lph Fuel pump,Price seems High but I went with All new parts for the block, junkyard the conversion parts like Dual Fans, Wiring Harnesses etc. When I first started I almost considered going big block route, as they were rated for well over 350+ horse and 400+ torque IIRC, but Big Block Motors cost Big Block Money.

A good article for you to read up on (sorry if this link stirs a commotion with some, it is a bit outdated) would be GM's Budget Hot Cam Build.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/490...e-roller-cams/

They were able to estimate about 400 HP for under 2,500$ with their List. Its a Good read for those just getting into the Never Ending Story of GM Performance.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Banned

There really isn’t much difference in terms of sizes for headers other than the primary tubing size and the collector size. If you go either hooker long tube headers there really isn’t a bad choice there as long as you choose the header that matches the engine from them. I say long tube headers because they will allow you to build better horsepower than mid length (aka shorty) headers but they have been known to give ground clearance issues in some cases. Midias is correct about the cam as it does have to match the tune of the intake and torque convertor. If you’re sticking with the stick heads and intake and torque convertor, then I’m sure someone can quickly suggest a good cam but I doubt you will come close to your goal without finding better flowing heads and porting your intake manifold and runners. The TPI fuel injection system is designed to make more torque than horsepower. So you’ll get off the line quicker but in a longer race will lose to someone with more horsepower. GM should have put this system on their trucks.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

The key to making HP is air flow (cylinder filling).
Remember an engine is an air pump....
You will need an intake manifold that flows a minimum 300 CFM.
A set of heads that match that and a cam equally capable.
All of that far exceeds your budget.

<<<<<<<You can see from my info
I have what you want, so i know what it takes.

Last edited by Dyno Don; 08-01-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I’m new to all this
im a little confused , your asking what intake fits under the stock hood and then you say you want to keep tpi .. i just built what your describing you want and it didnt make 400 hp ..
Old 08-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Yeah that would fit the hood clearance

I just bought hooker headers
and I already have a full exhaust system
so what cam would you recommend and what intake would fit under the hood ?
Old 08-01-2018, 04:49 PM

Oh and realistically 300 horsepower is what I’d love to have
just a nice cruiser
Old 08-01-2018, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Flatops in your 350 Vortech heads from a machine shop that has cut down the valve guides for high lift comp cams roller h268 vortec lower for you tpi siamesed runners vac advance after market dizzy headers should get you close for about 2 k if you shop carefully
Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when on a set budget without much wiggle room Craigslist is your best friend. You want good heads on a budget, pick a distance you're willing drive on a day (or weekend) and search every day. I've learned over the years if you're patient you'll almost always find what you're looking for at a price you want to pay. Only thing I'd never buy used is headers, so make your selection and spend that first. Good used aluminum heads tho are really hard to find used. Used corvette heads come up occasionally for pretty cheap, and back in the day (and maybe still today?) many l98's have run 12's with them. Then decide if you want to keep the look of the original TPI. I sold my old super ram cause at the time I wanted to keep my car semi stock looking. Since I've changed my plans for the car I wish I'd kept it. Basically it boils down to do you want to be able to say"I got about 400hp" or "it runs xx in the quarter mile"... And how "stock" do you want it to look?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 PM

Thank you
I will certainly take your advice and my only problem is idk what fits with what
when you say aluminum heads will that work with all the rest of the mods or will my headers fit the rest of my car
that’s what I have trouble figuring out
what seals would I need or gaskets
do I need a tune
what intake will fit under my hood and hookup to everything nicely
I’m new to car builds I feel pretty dumb but I need to start somewhere so I’m on this site everyday searching and searing for a
car building for dummies
Old 08-01-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I’m new to car builds I feel pretty dumb but I need to start somewhere so I’m on this site everyday searching and searing for a
car building for dummies
Welcome to TGO.

Nothing wrong with not knowing. Ask LOTS of questions. ...that's literally what TGO is here for.

You've mentioned not being sure of what fits. Do you understand what a small block chevy is? (SBC). You've heard of small blocks and big blocks, right? Most of the basic small block parts will interchange with each other. NOT ALL! -for sure....but most. It was designed that way on purpose, lol. I bet if you picked the first 3 guys in this thread with small blocks (which are most of us), you could take the short block assembly from one member, the heads from the second member, and the intake from the third, and you could make 'em all work and the engine would run. In general, any small block manifold will bolt to any pair of small block heads, and they'll bolt to any small block...block. Again, there are definitely examples where that's not always true......but in general.....that's how it works. Vortec heads for example, will bolt to the block, but require a vortec specific manifold. ...but you'll learn this stuff as you read and learn. Trust me, you'll learn lots by osmosis. You hang out here and you just pick it up.

Jump on youtube and search for v8 engine animation, how a pushrod v8 engine works, etc. etc. Watch and understand all the moving parts. You'll be amazed at how in theory, they're rather quite simple. When you don't bother with the rings, bearings, washers, retainers, plugs, clips, nuts, bolts, gaskets, etc. etc., there really aren't that many parts!!!! Understand them and what they do.

When you're up to speed with that stuff....and it really won't take too long to understand the basics, you'll start to understand how they work together. Sure they might both bolt together, but why is one better for racing, and one better for a street car? THAT part of it is where the fun is. ....ohhhh and the endless debates on the forums, and 2 am drunken bench racing sessions with your buddies in the garage! That stuff is the fun part, and everyone has an opinion!

Be patient, ask questions. We're here to help.....most of the time. We kinda beat the CRAP outta that new guy talking about EMP proofing his car! That was kinda funny. -BUT this is productive. Even Drew is helping.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:24 AM
Banned

Trinity, Unless you start talking about a tunnel ram intake and single or dual carbs on top of it, the parts will all fit under the hood. Everything that has been suggested by everyone in this thread all bolts on and fits fine under the hood. As for your headers, they should work with any cylinder heads that have been mentioned as well (except possibly the vortech heads?? Guys, chime in if i'm wrong on that please!) What everyone has been talking about making parts (cam, intake, heads, torque converter) match is because everything has an RPM band that they work well in. If you get a cam that has a sweet RPM range in 4000-7000 RPM, an intake made for 1500-3000 RPM, and heads that don't flow much, the car is going to run like crap. You want to look at parts that all have roughly the same RPM range so that they all work in harmony. Being that TPI is only makes power until about 4000 RPMs you want to keep all of your choices to an RPM range below that or the top end of their sweet spot won't work as well as it should. I've never been good at choosing cams and usually find a couple that have been recommended and research them and then maybe create a thread like this one and ask any questions that I might have. If you're sticking with TPI, maybe find yourself a good set of aluminum heads that flow well, get the upper and lower intake plenums ported as well as the runners, and find a good camshaft to match??? This way, your engine will look stock and you'll get some extra horsepower out of it.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

heres my combo if you are looking to do a tpi setup and make around 325hp .. i started with a 87 350 iroc with 60k on it .. the short block is bone stock .. i added a set of afr 180 heads , as&m runners , out of the box tpi big mouth lower base, dyno dons headers , 3 inch stock style magnaflow exhaust and convertor , 2800 stall torque converter and a mild .530 lift cam .. runs like a champ on the street , never been to the track with it .. besides the headers it looks stock under the hood .. heres a link to my build up ..
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...am-intake.html
Old 08-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help everyone
so far I’ve decided on hooker headers and tpis miniram
so now I need a cam that won’t be pointless
and good heads
so what would you guys think a nice combo would be for those
are the afr heads good? Or can anyone post a tread that’s available about them already I can’t find much
Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Thanks for the help everyone
so far I’ve decided on hooker headers and tpis miniram
so now I need a cam that won’t be pointless
and good heads
so what would you guys think a nice combo would be for those
are the afr heads good? Or can anyone post a tread that’s available about them already I can’t find much

For the hooker headers, are you looking to go long tube, or mid-length, or shorties? The longtubes will free up the most power, but with tired stock rubber mounts, can come into contact with the frame rails as they're a tight fit, so plan on installing new rubber/ or polyurethane engine mounts so you don't run into this problem. Also, if your budget allows, go ceramic coated as it keeps a bit more of the heat on the inside the headers, and out of the engine bay as well.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM

I’m going long tube headers
I have a full 3” magnaflow exhaust system with butterfly valve. Control

I wanna get a tips miniram next after the heads then get a cam what can do you think would work best with the stock engine so far

later down the road I’m thinking I’ll get aluminum heads but not sure about brand
are there any good reliable ones that make decent horsepower

and as a side not would all the mods work if I make my engine a 383?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:26 PM

If I get the tpis mini ram would I need to get new runners

also what are runners if I may ask
I see edlebrock as a good choice on some of these forums
but i don’t know if I would need em if I get a new intake
do they connect to the intake ? ...
ill have someone to explain it to me
google washt much help without pictures
Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM

The TPI has a seperate plenum, runners, and base manifold. The miniram is all one piece. The physical difference in design is what gives each their own characteristics. The TPI has very long runners. At low RPMs, these runners help speed up the air, which in turn helps low RPM torque. Those same runners however just can't flow enough air in the higher RPM ranges to make high peak horsepower. The miniram is the exact opposite. Overall flow is great, making big horsepower numbers, but at lower RPMs the air slows down and it can hurt low RPM torque. Think about putting your thumb over a garden hose. With your thumb the flow slows down but speeds up. WIthout your thumb the flow increases, but slows down. Same principle, but with air. Like Dyno Don said, the engine is an air pump. Essentially the entire engine is built around that principle.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:55 PM

With regard to your 383 question...

The engine will operate best if all the parts work together. The 383 is obviously 33 cubic inches bigger than your 350. It wants more air. A set of heads that flowed great on a 350, might just barely flow enough air for a 383. Your cam that opened the valves long enough to get the air in, and exhaust out of your 350 may not be able to open them far enough, or long enough to get air in and out of a 383. Will they work? Yes. They will bolt on and the engine will run. But think of all the parts as a system, because they are. It's a team. It's like the sports analogy about All Star teams. Tons of superstars, but they don't work together as a team. You have to pick your parts to work together.

A 383 wants a lot of air. The Miniram FLOWS a lot of air. These are a good match. You want a cam and heads that will do the same. ....and it's likely they will NOT work well on a 350. And they'll cost a lot more than $2000. ....and keep in mind that big price tags are on the fun parts, heads, cam, intake, etc. etc., but the ancillary costs will kill ya. Nuts and bolts, gaskets, wires, fluids, sealants, ZIP TIES, LOL.....and the list goes on and on.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:16 PM

Is there an intake manifold that is good for both torque and high rpm and will also have clearance under a trans am hood ?

And as for all the other posts I guesss I have a lot of thinking I need to decide before I start to buy things and regret it
it’ll be a fun project
Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Banned

Trinity,

You will never find an intake manifold that has great low end torque and high rpm horsepower. That’s like being able to have your cake and eat it too. The physics behind air flow and how and where power is made will never let you have the whole spectrum. The exceptions to those rules come with 10s of thousands of dollars between turbochargers or superchargers and LOTS of engine work and huge dollar price tag parts. Can it be done, yes. Look at the cars in the NHRA that are doing the quarter mile in 6 or less seconds. Are they reliable, not likely. Generally and engine setup only has 1 of those more so than the other. TPI is a torque monster which is great for street driving, but it gets killed too early at the top end without help and a lot of engine work. There are ways to improve TPI horsepower and torque numbers but everything comes at a cost and depends on what the owner wants to do. All of us can throw out parts and combinations that will raise horsepower and/or torque but it comes down to what are you wanting to do with the car? If you want to cruise and street race, work a little more on the torque as that is what gets you off the line faster. If you’re going to be hitting the drag strip more, focus more on finding ways to raise your higher rpm horsepower. It’s all in what you want to do and want to spend.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:45 PM

That was a very good description

I would like it to be for more cursing and driving around having some fun and some giddy up so that means more torque from what it sounds like
I like the “pushed back into the seat feeling “
Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Yes, the torque (along with horsepower) will push you into the back of the seat. So, you might sacrifice a little high end rpm range horsepower but you will get more power off the line with more torque. Kind of like a Diesel engine in a truck and all of the semi’s gearing is centered around being able to pull huge amounts of weight from a dead standstill because of how much torque it has. For that matter, look at a pickup trucks horsepower and torque ratings and compare 1 with a gas engine to 1 with a diesel. The diesels will have higher torque ratings than the gas engine pickups. They’re made and geared for pulling things, so the engines are built for more torque.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Banned

Here’s an example of another on going recent discussion that the guy is asking similar questions as you: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...fast-tips.html