Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Tranny not wanting to shift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, 98 Z28
Engine: 370 LSx, LS1
Transmission: T56's
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.42
Tranny not wanting to shift?

Hi, I have an 86 Iroc-Z. It has a 305 TPI, 700R4.

Ok, my problem is that it doesn’t seem like it wants to shift. I was testing an aftermarket chip to see what the difference would be. (I know aftermarket chips aren’t the way to go, I’m trying to get in the DIY, but it was cheap and it didn’t hurt to try.) While I was test driving it with the aftermarket chip I gunned it from about 20-25, I looked at my tach and it was climbing to 4500, 5000 and on. So I let off, I wasn’t going very fast and the car didn’t seem like it would/wanted to shift, even though the car was screaming. I didn’t have the car in 3rd, 2nd, or 1st; it was either Drive or Overdrive. I tried it in both gears and it was similar. The car didn’t feel any different than the stock chip so I put the stock one back in and took it for another test drive. It did pretty much the same thing. I’m not certain but I don’t think it does this all the time. One day I’m going to test gunning it from certain speeds and record my observations. This isn’t the first time it’s done this, but I guess it’s gotten worse.

The first time it did this was awhile ago at the track when my dad was driving the car. About 3/4 of the way down the 1/8 mile he said it was pulling to 5500 plus and it didn’t feel like it shifted/wanted to. He had the car in overdrive.

I haven’t experienced what my dad did, because his was during the higher speeds, while mine were in the lower speeds.

Do you have any idea what this could be? I tried searching, but I don’t no what Id be looking for. I’m planning on changing the tranny filter and probably the fluid, do you think that’s a good idea? Or is it something major?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH-350C
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Re: Tranny not wanting to shift?

The ECM has no control over the shifts of a 700R4. The chip will not affect anything to do with the transmission except maybe the lockup.

Check the adjustment of the TV cable. search here or google it, theirs a whole webpage devoted to adjusting the thing!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 84z28350
The ECM has no control over the shifts of a 700R4. The chip will not affect anything to do with the transmission except maybe the lockup.

Check the adjustment of the TV cable. search here or google it, theirs a whole webpage devoted to adjusting the thing!

So TV cable could be the cause? I knew the chip had nothing to really do with it . I thought it might be something internally. Thanks for your help, I'll go and read up about that.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:24 PM

Car: 1986 iroc z
Engine: vortec 383
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 moser 12 bolt true trac

governor most likely.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:16 AM

I just got done adjusting the TV cable, and took it out for a test drive. It may have helped a bit, but during the drive I had to let off then it would shift, so I think it’s the governor like rjt76 said. Correct me if I’m wrong but the governor controls WOT shifts?

I'll be searching how to replace the governor, but if anyone has a good link for a step by step or something, please don’t hesitate to post.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Im going to be inspecting the governor, but first I want to make sure how to do this the right way.

Pop off the cap covering the governor.
Pull it out and clean with carb cleaner, and inspect the gear.

To install it I:
Check to see that the o ring is on the gov cover
Smear a thin layer of rtv on th o ring only
Put blue lock tite on the flanged edge that presses into the gov bore.
Tap ONLY on the edge(rim) of the cover.

Now when Im inspecting it what should I look for? And when testing the governor I press against the weights and look for the valve to move?
Has anyone had any problems getting the governor back in?

I got all of this from some of Floor guy's previous posts.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 406 CI
Transmission: Pete K 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:55

When inspecting the governor, hold the unit with the gear facing the sky and squeeze the weights in and out. The valve in the center should move up and down smoothly. Total movement of the valve is only .025-.035 or so.
If you are lucky, you will have a stripped governor gear.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Car: 1986 iroc z
Engine: vortec 383
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 moser 12 bolt true trac

is the tranny recently rebuilt? If this tranny was rebuilt or not has it ever shifted at the correct rpm with the current engine? The governor has springs. Are any missing or broken? jack up the drivers side rear up high and block it up. get under there and pry off the cover. you will loose some fluid but not much. yes getting the cover back on will be sort of difficult. unfortunately if you have some governor tuning to do you will be in and out from under that car alot untill you get the hang of how it all works. I will gladly help you with questions. I spent the better part of a week tuning mine to shift 5800-6000 wide open and have a good spread between part throttle shifts, which by the way the springs control. weights control wide open shifts but if a spring is broken it will not shift wide open I have personally seen this.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by rjt76
is the tranny recently rebuilt? If this tranny was rebuilt or not has it ever shifted at the correct rpm with the current engine? The governor has springs. Are any missing or broken? jack up the drivers side rear up high and block it up. get under there and pry off the cover. you will loose some fluid but not much. yes getting the cover back on will be sort of difficult. unfortunately if you have some governor tuning to do you will be in and out from under that car alot untill you get the hang of how it all works. I will gladly help you with questions. I spent the better part of a week tuning mine to shift 5800-6000 wide open and have a good spread between part throttle shifts, which by the way the springs control. weights control wide open shifts but if a spring is broken it will not shift wide open I have personally seen this.
The tranny was never rebuilt or anything like that. To my knowledge the tranny always shifted when it was suppose to under wot. The first time this problem started to occur was when we went to the track (stories in the first post).

I have been neglecting to do this for a while, because I wanted to see how difficult it was first. My brother found that his governor gear was broken almost in half, so I was able to watch and learn from his experience.

I was thinking instead of taking the governor out now, I could order this replacement governor and just swap them out, with minimal down time? I have a couple of questions though; this replacement governor, is it everything I need? To the right it says "Accessories/Related Items"; will I need any of these, the bushing, bearing or springs? Here’s the link

What would be the best wot shifting points for my car? I have read that people put a corvette governor in? I have heard that they have a 5200 or 5800 shift point. Which is it?

Last edited by Rich92 RS; 04-26-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

First, make sure that the TV cable is adjusted correctly. The TV cable should be tight at WOT, no play or with a 1/16" play at the maximum, try it tight at first. See what happens, a WOT 1-2 shift should occur. If this fixes the 1-2 shift, and not the 2-3 shift at WOT, then you have 2-3 shifting issues. This could be the 3-4 clutches have too much clearance, they could be starting to glaze, etc. Did it ever make a WOT 2-3 shift?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
First, make sure that the TV cable is adjusted correctly. The TV cable should be tight at WOT, no play or with a 1/16" play at the maximum, try it tight at first. See what happens, a WOT 1-2 shift should occur. If this fixes the 1-2 shift, and not the 2-3 shift at WOT, then you have 2-3 shifting issues. This could be the 3-4 clutches have too much clearance, they could be starting to glaze, etc. Did it ever make a WOT 2-3 shift?
I have adjusted the TV cable, and nothing changed. The tranny use to be fine, shifted perfectly and everything under WOT. I will adjust the TV cable tomorrow morning and test the WOT 1-2 shift again just to be sure.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Ok I tested the 1-2 shift a couple days ago and it didn’t shift until I let off. I tried again today, and the tranny just doesn’t want to shift under WOT. I figure my tach may be off a little, so I kept in it until 5500 rpm's and it still wouldn’t shift.

What is the shifting points under WOT? Would I be better off just buying a replacement governor from this link?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:30 PM

UPDATE:

My car shifts at WOT, but it shifts at 6000 RPM's . So I just have to recalibrate the governor, or should I buy a stock replacement one? Can anyone tell me the stock shifting points under WOT?