Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Help with my manual transmission please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 305 carbureted 4barrel V8
Transmission: T5
Help with my manual transmission please

Obviously, I am new to this forum. I am also new to third gen camaros. I have driven a few in the past, but never owned one until I found one in amazing condition for 1200 bucks. The only problem it has is the transmission. It is a 1987 305 4barrel carbed engine with a manual transmission. The transmission does first gear ok and does fourth and fifth extremely quiet, but second and third gear are very loud and jump after second or third is initially engaged. Also, when I downshift into second or third to slow down before a stop, the car lurches. The previous owner said the tranny has been loud and lurched on downshifts for the three years that he has owned it and it hasnt gotten any worse. I can live with the loud tranny, and I can live with shifting into nuetral instead of engine braking, but it would be nice if I didnt have to. My question is "does anybody have these issues/ know how to fix them?" The previous owner also gave me a spare tranny that he said worked fine when he pulled it out of another third gen. My second question would be "if there isn't any way to fix the tranny, how hard would it be to install the spare?" I do have mechanical experience, but have never changed a transmission. I have done a clutch in a 93 blazer, but never any actual tranny work. Any help and information would be appreciated. Thanks Guys. And yes, I did search before posting but to no avail.

Last edited by sidewok; 05-08-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro
Engine: 355 chevy
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 disc brakes
Re: Help with my manual transmission please

just unbolt your driveshaft and the 4 bolts that go to your bell housing and drop the cross memeber and should slide back and out, easier to do on jack stands high up
Old 05-08-2010, 07:21 AM

sounds easy enough. For some reason I thought there was alot more to it. I've got plenty of stands, but should I keep a floor jack around to lower the tranny and raise the replacement? I was able to carry the replacement into the house without a problem, but i am not sure if it will be as easy trying to bench press a tranny. lol.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 IROC / 69 Firebird convertible
Engine: 5.0 / 350
Transmission: t-5 / WC t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 / 3.08

Deffinetly use a floor jack or better yet a trans. jack . If you use a floor jack, try to secure the tranny to the jack somehow so that it can't roll off. Other than that if you have changed a clutch you can change a transmission. I would not trust a transmission making the noise you have.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Yea. I don't trust it either. I wouldn't have purchased the car without the spare tranny being included. Thanks for the tip. I will see if I can fab a bracket to attatch to my floor jack to keep the tranny from landing on my head.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM

he t5 is'nt heavy, put the jack under it after you get 1st two trans crossmember bolts out, you can hang away from the trans when you let it down with the floor jack. Then you can drag it out front under the car.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find using a jack under a t5 to be more of a hassle. It's light enough to bench press. Besided it's not going to fall out as soon as you remove the trans to bellhousing bolts.

Pull the shifter, drivshaft, crossmember, torque arm bracket and speedometer cable. It's a good idea to pull the distributor cap too, for when the motor tilts down. After that pull the 4 bolts holding the trans to the bellhousing. You will need to slide it back 8 inches or so to get the input shaft clear of everything. I've driven one of mine into the garage, swapped transmissions and driven out in less than 2 hours. Real simple. Don't forget to drain the fluid too...that stuff spreads fast.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 PM

i read somewhere that i am supposed to mark a spot on the drivetrain with a marker and on the tranny too? is this necessary seeing as though the same tranny isn't going back in? I mean, does the drivetrain plug back in only one way or is there a certain way to do it to avoid problems?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

No markings necessary, and take your time when you go to stab the new trans, it can be frustrating.

Also-
Don't back down through the gears to stop, just go to neutral. Its hard on the clutch.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Car: 84 Monte
Engine: 355 Chevy HSR
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Ford 9"

yeah, had my ol' T5 out over 7 times because of different problems. Definitely light enough to just lift up there. My trans never made the noise you're talking about though. Put in the spare. With a jack and hand tools I have had a removal/install done in less than 3 hours. However, I have gotten very good at dropping my trans
Old 05-09-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by bradley23150
No markings necessary, and take your time when you go to stab the new trans, it can be frustrating.

Also-
Don't back down through the gears to stop, just go to neutral. Its hard on the clutch.
You dont engine brake? that was one of the first things I was taught when I learned to drive stick 8 years ago, the double clutch downshift. clutch, neutral, rev, clutch, downshift. But I guess if it is hard on my clutch, I would rather be replacing pads and shoes than a master slave and throwout bearing. Thanks for all the help guys, you have all been very informative. I think I will tackle the job tomorrow, weather permitting.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 IROC / 69 Firebird convertible
Engine: 5.0 / 350
Transmission: t-5 / WC t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 / 3.08

What is the fun of driving a manual if you can't down shift to slow down. If it really is hard on a clutch mine would have been toast 15 years ago. It would be hard on the syncronizers if anything. Maybe that's why my third gear syncro is acting up.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 5.0l tbi
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: whatever the stock one are 3.08 :-p

whatever you do dont put gear oil in one of these trans'. i had a mechanic do that, because the rear seal was leaking, and it wrecked the trans now its getting a rebuild. supposedly when im done with the rebuild its gonna be able to handle about 500 hp. we'll have to see about that. t5 isnt as bad as everyone says. i was able to carry mine into my basement alone, so its not heavy.

heres a good question i want to see if any one can help me with. i heard that the gear sets from the ford WC t5's are the same as the chevy ones. is that true? if it is that would be great.

also does anyone know how to check the actual gear teeth, the ones the syncro slide on to, the little ones not the drive teeth. mine look worn but it cant really tell. im probably gonna replace them anyway but i wanted to check. i guess same question about the bearings
Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 5.0l tbi
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: whatever the stock one are 3.08 :-p

btw sidewok, i had that problem with mine if your concerned about it do a complete syncro rebuild. not just the one that is not working proper. the car probably has lots of mile and manual trans' in 3rd gens usually dont live easy lives. mine worked fine when i got it then second gear started to go, then one day third gear grinded then never went back to normal and it didnt like to shift into 3rd, then first started jumping out of gear. then i had to pull it and now the car is just sitting. sad. so what im getting at is spend the extra money on a full rebuild not just what ever the transmission shop guy says is needed for "fix" it. you will be much happier with the car. i love 3rd gens and i feel that its one of greatest handling cars you can get with out refinancing your house, i dont care what anyone says.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by jmoney91
btw sidewok, i had that problem with mine if your concerned about it do a complete syncro rebuild. not just the one that is not working proper. the car probably has lots of mile and manual trans' in 3rd gens usually dont live easy lives. mine worked fine when i got it then second gear started to go, then one day third gear grinded then never went back to normal and it didnt like to shift into 3rd, then first started jumping out of gear. then i had to pull it and now the car is just sitting. sad. so what im getting at is spend the extra money on a full rebuild not just what ever the transmission shop guy says is needed for "fix" it. you will be much happier with the car. i love 3rd gens and i feel that its one of greatest handling cars you can get with out refinancing your house, i dont care what anyone says.
I was actually given a full spare tranny, so I think what I am going to do is replace it with the spare and then take the current one in for a rebuild when I get the extra cash just in case the other one starts acting up to.