Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Shifter doesn`t work.. .Stuck in 1st!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip
Shifter doesn`t work.. .Stuck in 1st!

Here's the story: 700R4 Auto rebuilt 500 miles ago, new shifter+TV cables, and grommets and clips and etc.

Today I park car in a flat parking lot (thankfully) and i put it in 'P' to park. It doesn,t go all the way into park for some reason so i figure I'll just push harder.. It finally sorta engages the tranny into park BUT the shifter is NOT locked in park! So I wiggle it a bit and what just happens? It goes into REVERSE! At this point I figure I can either turn off the car while in neutral and tow, or I can try to play with it a bit more to get it into park and then think about what to do next. Guess what... I put it down to Neutral, then try to bring it back up, but no more reverse OR park.. At this point i'm effin pissed so I bring it all the way down to '1' and now the tranny is stuck in first gear!!

What I think it is, is the shifter cable is not even connected to the tranny anymore because I can freely press down the shifter button and move it all the way from 'P' to '1' without any resistance at all, it moves freely and doesn't engage anything in the tranny. I took off the shifter plate and everything looked good from there except that rubber grommet was all mangled up and moving around freely in there.. (weird since it was new.. maybe not installed properly?) But I don't think that's the problem here.. I'm going tomorrow at the garage to see underneath if the shifter cable is still even attached to the tranny.. If not, and the cable is not broken, is there a way to adjust this cable and put it back on properly so this doesn't happen again?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Shifter doesn`t work.. .Stuck in 1st!

Soounds like broken shifter cable. You can shift it by hand, under the driver side door - have someone with you, have them put a leg over the center console and hold the brake for you TIGHT to the floor, then reach under there and move the shift lever into a drive gear, climb in, get YOU foot on the brake, let them have their leg back, then drive home easily. That will save a tow bill. Then remove center console and replace the shifter cable.

Might have to wiggle shifter into park position to crank car - neutral safety switch relies on shifter, not cable.

It's not that hard really - I had to do it once to my car - cable broke at the grocery store 15 miles from home, and I was alone - I was just barely tall enough to keep my foot on the brake while I reached under and shifted the transmission lever into drive - but I waited until there were no cars in front of me and I got lucky I DO NOT recommend trying it by yourself.

Shifter cable is pretty easy install - the rubber seal around it is the biggest PITA, hard to get into place. Most auto parts shops should have in stock, or have next day delivery of shifter cable... However I think I broke my second one a few months later - it was an Autozone or Advance part - and the 3rd one I got a dealer - cost a pretty penny in comparison but that was 4+ years ago with no problems since - sometimes it pays to deal with stealership.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

I tried to find it from underneath the car but i've never done it before so I didn't really know where to reach under there (I barely fit under there). I started the car a few times to move it and turn the wheel and it jumped every time cuz it was stuck in drive lol..

I brought it to the garage this morning and found that, yes, the shifter cable broke at the end where the cable connects to the clip. I tried ordering the part from Hawks but they are going to take awhile they said because they took last week off... DO you know of any other place I could get this piece from online overnighted? Also, yes I would rather pay for a dealership part but all dealerships said they do not have the part or cannot find it... Do you know if the Hawks shifter cable is good quality?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Try Napa or Carquest if you have in your area. Both carry good quality parts.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

I called a local Napa.. They have a jobber part that comes out to 75$ with tax..The guy said the manufacturer is "Bolcam" or "Volcam" or something like that.. Not sure.. It's not GM that's for sure... Anyone know if Hawks sells a GM shifter or a jobber part? (tried calling, their lines are busy).
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got mine at auto zone it was instock
Old 07-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Napa parts I trust alot more than autozone, grab the NAPA part and call it a day.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Done. It's fixed. BUT that rubber grommet that seals it from the outside doesn't seem to fit properly.. It was the one that came with the shifter.. Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Got it from Napa by the way thanks for the suggestion! They had it in stock.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Cable installed... Shifts ALOT smoother now... BUT here's the thing... It still has trouble shifting into park... I have to try to put i in park a few times before it clicks into park and won't into reverse randomly or just by lightly flicking the shifter... Once it is locked in park it won't move, but I worry because I park on a slanted driveway (I back in, not frontwards, but still) and now I am putting my handbrake on and putting blocks under the back tires as to not roll into the garage door lol..

Any ideas why a new shifter cable (aftermarket, NOT GM) will not go into park right away like a normal camaro does?