Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Driven to despair - 700R4/TC whining (video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Driven to despair - 700R4/TC whining (video)

Hi guys,

I think the torque converter on my 700R4 may be toast, or on the way out. Rather than try and describe the problem I shot some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9wNM-3f9W4

Background is this...a year and a half ago the engine in my IROC died. Through 2010 we went through the motions of finding another engine, doing a few light mods, and refitting it.

As soon as I started driving the car afterwards I noticed a whining noise coming from around the torque converter/trans and it was slipping going through the gears. There was black goo and metal shavings in the trans sump so I shipped the car off to have the trans rebuilt. Picked the car up last week and lo and behold - the noise is still there!

Can anyone shed any light on this? The guy who rebuilt the trans said it may be the stator or bearings within the TC...which sadly means pulling the trans out yet again.

Any advice would really be appreciated
Old 01-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Driven to despair - 700R4/TC whining (video)

when my T/C blew it's thrust bearing,the T/C generated
a large amount of aluminum shavings from the stator
rubbing the "turbine"element-no funny noises were
ever noticed,i noticed a problem when tranny started
slipping in 1st gear due to low oil pressure;tranny was
plugged with shavings from the converter
BTW,AFAIK,stock converters use a nylon thrust washer
instead of the needle roller bearing used on aftermarket
modified converters.
I am not sure what that squeal is that continues for a
few seconds after the engine stops...
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info! That's kind of reassuring because I'm not 100% sure it's the TC, that's just where the sound seems to be coming from.

In this case the noise and the trans failure aren't necessarily related...after we fitted the engine we didn't reset the TV cable, it was probably near where it needed to be but not quite right

After months of work and much money spent I'm itching to take the car out but am concerned this noise relates to something serious.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM

I hope you replaced the torque converter before runnin that rebuilt tranny. Always, always replace the t/c with a new one on a fresh rebuild. There is no way to get all that dirty fluid out of the old one and you dont wanna run that threw the new one. A tranny flush wont get it out either
Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 AM

I've never heard that you have to replace the TC on each rebuild - though I'm not saying you are wrong.

I had to have the trans rebuilt some years back and at that time I did flush the TC...I'm confident we got 99.9% if not all the bad fluid out of it because it took a long time and I almost threw my back out doing it!

This noise doesn't sound like a common problem...looks like I'll have to get the car in the air and listen a bit closer.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 T.P.I V-8
Transmission: M5
Axle/Gears: 372's

Any update???? Mine makes the EXact noise just doesnt continue like that when you shut it off. Im very interested to see if you have found anything out.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 02 camaro
Any update???? Mine makes the EXact noise just doesnt continue like that when you shut it off. Im very interested to see if you have found anything out.
I haven't solved the problem yet but I've narrowed it down. I've been busy with other stuff and I haven't done anything more to the car in the best part of a year!

I disconnected the torque converter from the flex plate and lo and behold the noise was just the same. So it's something to do with the motor.

I took it to a friend's shop and we got the noise to stop by spraying brake cleaner somewhere around where the flex plate teeth run through the starter - though not necessarily in that exact place. Sadly the noise had returned by the time I'd driven to the edge of town

Right now I'm thinking it's a vacuum leak...
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner/2.77 Ratio

I know this is an old thread but has anyone come up with a solution yet? I have the exact same noise...

Nvrmind... it was a vacuum issue. I had a leak on my pcv system and I needed to get home so I switched the top and bottom hoses on the throttle body cause it was the only way to get home. Didn't realize that it would cause that cause it didn't start until like 10 minutes of driving. I just thought I broke something.

Last edited by G3NIROCZ; 08-20-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by IROC-UK
Hi guys,

I think the torque converter on my 700R4 may be toast, or on the way out. Rather than try and describe the problem I shot some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9wNM-3f9W4

Background is this...a year and a half ago the engine in my IROC died. Through 2010 we went through the motions of finding another engine, doing a few light mods, and refitting it.

As soon as I started driving the car afterwards I noticed a whining noise coming from around the torque converter/trans and it was slipping going through the gears. There was black goo and metal shavings in the trans sump so I shipped the car off to have the trans rebuilt. Picked the car up last week and lo and behold - the noise is still there!

Can anyone shed any light on this? The guy who rebuilt the trans said it may be the stator or bearings within the TC...which sadly means pulling the trans out yet again.

Any advice would really be appreciated
I know this thread is old but my car us doing the same thing as OP was a solution ever found?