Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

transmission shifter cable replacment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock
transmission shifter cable replacment?

how hard is this? from eyeballing it it looks like i just have to unhook it from both ends and pull it through and reverse to install the new one? or is there something special i need to look at or do? my old one had something wear through the plastic and is letting the wire fold on me so i cant go into park, reverse, or drive.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305 5.0L HO
Transmission: TH350
Re: transmission shifter cable replacment?

it installs just as you described.
read any model specific instructions though.
Good luck.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Gta trans am project 1-1/2
Engine: 86 4 bolt main cammed sbc 355 hsr
Transmission: 89 wc bw t5
Axle/Gears: Bw 9 bolt (3.27) pbr 11in

It's very simple all u would have to do is remove the center console to unhook it fro the shifter an unbolt it from the shifter lever an unbolt it from the transmission pan then feed ur new one through an hook it back up
Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Supreme Member

ok thanks you guys!!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

ok, had some problems and had to modify it alittle but it was an aftermarket peice but its in and works alot better, doesnt jerk when i put it in gear as bad now. but HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU PUT THAT RUBBER BACK IN THE HOLE?1?!?!? i fought with that damn thing for over an hour trying to get it to slip in but it wont, any tricks or tips please?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

The grommet on the cable? Aftermarket ones never want to go in, the plastic they use is too hard.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

So what am I suppose to do with it? I can't just leave it in covered, I can see the outside without it installed and it will let in the elements so what do I do?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 PM

Car: '83 Camaro Z28 5.0, '93 Camry 3.0
Engine: 305 V8, V6 DOC
Transmission: 700R4

I agree this is a good question, Beat it senseless I suppose. Although when i replaced the one in my '88 camaro I was able to get it through by ripping a part of it with a screw driver and swearing a couple times.

About a week or two later the cable broke between the shift **** and the hole.... It was brand new and aligned correctly, so I just drove it in drive, the transmission had problems anyways, but I was also able to start it in drive.. A pepsi truck totalled my car about 3 months later anyways, so it didn't matter..
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Car: '83 Camaro Z28 5.0, '93 Camry 3.0
Engine: 305 V8, V6 DOC

AllData did not specify any info on correct adjustments for the cable on the 700R4, but if anyone knows how to do it without it breaking later on, feel free to post it, or if you've done it before without any problems, please post it.

I may be buying a '83 Z28 w/ a 305 H.O with an auto transmission tomorrow. I am not sure if its a 700R4, but anyways the shift cable has to be played with to get it to change into P, R, D, N, 1, 2...
Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 5.0
Engine: 305 Small Block

Can anybody tell me what bolts the gear shift bracket mounts to? I replaced the gear shift cable because the gears didn't line up right on the gear shift. When the car was in park, if you looked at the gear shift, the lever was in front of the P. When I looked at the cable end attached to the transmission, it was all jacked up. So I replaced the cable and the gasket on the Transmission pan as well because it was leaking. Now I when I put everything back together, the cable fit but is so tight that its not releasing the steering column so I can start the car. I contacted the cable manufacturer and they said the cable is not adjustable and is direct replacement for the OEM cable. The only thing I have left to go on is that maybe the cable bracket attached to the transmission pan is not in the right location. But I can't find a diagram or a picture anywhere that tells me where this thing gets mounted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
1984 Camaro Z28 5.0 HO
TH700R4 Transmission
Old 07-15-2020, 11:27 AM

Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 350

I know this is an old post, but I just replaced my shifter cable and have a couple of tips that might help people in the future.

Note: my problem was that the plastic guide under the center console had broken loose - I think this is common. If this happens to you, you can shove it back into the plastic ball and that will allow you to shift gears temporarily (it will pull back out again when you shift from Drive to P-R-N) and get you home.
Removal: The console can be removed by (after unscrewing it from the tunnel) pulling up the hand brake as far as you can, then lifting the back of the console up until it clears the hand brake. Swing the back of the console towards the passenger seat and you should be able to pull it away from the shifter handle without removing the handle (maybe everyone knows this). The shift cable is locked in place, in the passenger compartment, by a hard plastic "bell" with expanding tabs that go into a round hole in the metal shift lever bracket and at the transmission by a plastic cylinder with the same type of expanding tabs. You can use a pipe wrench or vise grips to push the tabs into the plastic body and wiggle the parts free of the metal brackets. The ends of the cable are a ring up top that goes onto the shifter handle and is held on by a cotter pin, and a screw/nut that goes onto the transmission shift tab (10mm, I believe - at least on my car). Easy to remove.

Installation: run the new cable down from the passenger compartment. To make it easier to get the top "bell" plastic piece into the shifter bracket, remove the back 2 screws that hold that bracket to the trans tunnel and loosen the front two screws. This should give about 3/8" play in the bracket and allow you to angle it and get that plastic bell in front of it and lined up with the bracket hole. Next, take vise grips or a large open-jawed wrench and, with one jaw on the front of the bell and the other jaw on the backside of the metal bracket (next to the hole the bell goes into), "pull" the bell into the hole until the locking tabs come through and expand. Down under, run the cable end through the trans bracket and use the vise grips again to pull the plastic cylinder into the bracket until it locks in place as well.

Next, make sure the trans is in Neutral - push the shift tab all the way forward (it should click hard into Park) then bring it back 2 clicks to get it into Neutral. Up top, do the same thing to the shift handle (the cable should be connected to the handle by this point). Back under, the screw on the end of the cable should line up perfectly with the trans shift tab. put a lock washer and the nut on the end (and blue locktight if you want) and carefully and slowly tighten it down until the lock washer is fully compressed. Try not to let it shift out of Neutral.

After all this, it should be perfectly aligned and should shift properly. When you go to start it, though, probably a good idea to have your foot firmly on the brake pedal, just in case.

Hope this helps someone. Took me about an hour to do this yesterday, which was about an hour less than the first time I did it 4 years ago.
The following users liked this post:
55ChevyMan (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 07:16 AM

Car: 55 chevy Belair & 86IROC Z
Engine: 350 in 55 86IROC Z LT1
Transmission: 55 4speed IROC Z4L60e
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 410 in55 and 342 inCamaro

Yes this the the right way to install the shifter cable put in Neutral DO not put in park I tried that the shifter say it in(P) but was in( R) reverse very dangerous it would start in ( R) looked all over the net couldn't find the right instructions all the YouTube video's said nothing about must be in Neutral on trans lever and on the inside shifter plate I found an Old Haynes82-92 Camaro Manual