Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end noise

I have a 1992 305 RS... Within the first year I got my camaro which was used, there was this grind/metallic, groan.. when you push on the gas usually about 20 RPMS while in gear, if you shift it to neutral in a hurry,the noise would be gone, but it back into gear at 20 rpms it come back. never figured it out.. but everything/everyone/ resource kept leading to the read axle, maybe pinion/ring , etc.. so I just decided last june, take apart the rear axle and re-do it all with help guides, bought all the tools and calibrations.. so when I took it all apart, nothing honestly looked bad.. the gears didnt look worn (even took pictures), at least not like there would be a problem, the bearings didnt look damages but maybe worn from age but just nothing that something was seriously wrong.. even the axle bearings.. so I replaced it all.. ring/pinion, all the bearings in the carrier and the axle bearings at the far ends). all the gears including the spider gears and did everything with all the tools to put it back together. well, it didnt fix the problem. and youd think maybe i did get some backlash right or something but maybe it wasnt the problem to start. the ONLY thing was the left rear driver axle, the spokes (if im saying it right) at the end of the axle that fits into the gears was ate away, not bad enough it couldnt turn the gear but obviously was worn quite a bit. but i dididnt have a new axle and it turned th egear so it was put back in, the right one looked perfect!..

so lately, when I turn the car i think its to the right, in gear or not in gear, you can hear that groan noise from the rear, sounds like driver rear... but when you turn it the other way you dont.. you have to go fast enough at least id say 20 -30 mph to get it to make that noise.. so. could it be that axle? even though it turns the gears, do you think tis so worn its making noise, or is the bearing suddently bad? which the old didnt look bad at all... i dont want to just go buy an axle even though it should be replaced in time.. but any ideas.. appreciate it. thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: rear end noise

Groaning noise when going around a corner = a clutch-type posi that needs additive, most commonly

Try just dumping a bottle of it in there. If of course, it's a posi at all.

If it's not a posi to begin with, then the side gears and carrier are wiped out.

Probably not an axle.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Posi. I had overhauled the entire axle, except the axle shafts. all the bearings were replaces the gears, the ring and pinion and seals, everything. the original noise never went away.. im not sure if it made that noise on the turns back before I overhauled it to be honest.. i just noticed it and wondered but it could have been doing it even before I overhauled it.. ill show pics of how it looks before i overhauled it.. so you can see what type of differential. but this is the old gears in the pic. i didnt take any new pictures or of the axle shaft.. when I had it all apart last June.
Attached Thumbnails rear end noise-20151206_161124.jpg   rear end noise-20151206_161047.jpg  
Old 08-18-2018, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Not a posi. A posi would have clutches and springs visible in the window. Like this:

The carrier is probably trashed where the side gear runs against it. Typical result of a sustained one-wheel-peel. It would be on the left side if it makes the noise going around a right corner. The OWP would have been donuts with the right side first. (steering wheel to the left)

Could be something about the axles with the damaged splines; can't imagine how, but putting damaged parts back in is never a recipe for assured success. Axles aren't too $$$ though, and very easy to change, so you could try that. At least you have 28-spline ones, so you get to buy the better ones as a shot in the dark and don't have to buy garbage 26-spline and hope for the best.

For example https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aly-17126/overview/ Replace em both, and the bearings & seals as well. No guarantees but you clearly need at least one anyway.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 08-18-2018 at 11:30 AM.