V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

3 Problems with the car... can someone tell me whats going on here

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Problems with the car... can someone tell me whats going on here

here it goes

1. whenever i start it in the morning ..when the car
is cold and i turn teh car left or right(when backing out)
there is like a loud pop comming from somewher e
in the front ???
(Could that be the subframe?? or is it some
steering or suspension)
this happens pretty often..(i have no problems in high
speed turns though)

2. driving at real slow speeds and turning i hear
the pop again but its not as loud....

3. when driving in a straight line and going WOT
shifting from 1-2 gear it feels like someone
hit me with a hammer from under the floorboard???
(more like the whole tranny jumps...)
is this just the mount doing it ???

someone please help me out here..im going crazy
with these problems...
Old 09-28-2002, 10:36 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
#3 is tranny mount, and possibly motor mounts up front if its been doing it a while.

That could "maybe" cause the 1 and 2 also

get a energy suspension poly mount
Old 09-28-2002, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Know what it is?
Try idler arm tapping hitting the tranny lines as it swings it arch of motion.
I have same problem.
I also need replace my front steering linkage (120K miles, it's time)
Other is tranny mount.
I am going Poly unit this time.
I went cheap $7 rubber last time.
Lasted almost three years.
Motor mount, only if drowned in oil & gasoline, it's whole life
Old 09-29-2002, 01:53 AM
Banned

Check out the frame behind the steering box real well for cracks. This is a very common problem in all third gen camaros. The irocs added a wonderbar or steering brace to help prevent this from cracking because of stronger turning forces.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Dale
#3 is tranny mount, and possibly motor mounts up front if its been doing it a while.

That could "maybe" cause the 1 and 2 also

get a energy suspension poly mount
yeah i got a ES mount...its going in very soon...what i was wondering about #3 was that one of the mechanics here told me it could also be another mount that exists just before the driveshaft begins...(the tranny mount is just below the ciggarette lighter in our car....)what could this Other mount be??? is there one such mount...

afrikangoodtime...how do i check the
frame...any ideas..should i lift the car and check it ?? or what exactly should i do???

and i found one more thing today...on the passenger side when i hold the tire and ask someone to turn the wheel ..there seems to be some play...could this mean something...
KED could that be the idler arm???
Old 09-30-2002, 07:23 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
Yea, that could be the arm that goes next to the driveshaft. I hear they make poly versions of mounts for them too.

On my car, the tranny mount was assembled wrong, and flopping. It was basically just laying on the crossmember. So make sure the flat plate is between the two rubber bushings. I know your like right now, but you will see what I'm talking about when you get under your car.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
That's the torque arm (coming off the axle), and if you replace that torque arm bushing with the ES polyurethane one, you'll notice a big improvement in handling! I did mine when I dropped my trans out; and it even made the car feel more secure in a straight line! One problem though; you might need to lower the tailshaft of the trans to get the bushing in. Not a big deal, but one bolt is so long that it's "hugged" by the driveshaft tunnel. So you'd just remove the trans x-member and lower the trans down a bit. But it's definately worth it, and the bushing is only $25!

To check the trans mount, slide under the car, and try to push the back of the transmission up to the sky. If you can push that trans at all, then your mount is busted. (The whole trans/engine assembly will pivot on the front motor mounts, so you don't need to be a strong man to do this test.) A mount that's solid will not let you budge that trans at all.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

and i found one more thing today...on the passenger side when i hold the tire and ask someone to turn the wheel ..there seems to be some play...could this mean something...
KED could that be the idler arm???

Idler is the arm hanging down passenger side, just hanging down, Idle, NOT steering box making it do something (which is pitman arm).
Have over 100K miles?
Replace steering linkage, too.
I am.
I'm at 120-130K. I need it.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
I'll be reading up on this one... I don't have problem #2, but I used to have #3, and still have #1... I figured it was just something to do with the steering and the body maybe...the popping sounds really flimsy metallic. Like popping sheet metal...but kinda nastier. I was told probably the steering box also. I don't really care..I need an entire steering overhaul, considering I have MASSIVE play in the wheel and it's misaligned. I have to hold the wheel to the left on a level road to stay straight, and it will move about...1/16th of a complete turn before the car reacts at all. Thing is, when my buddy turns the wheel under that amount, I see the steering arms and components moving, but it doesn't translate out to the wheels. This is what's holding me back from saying 'the hell with it' and going to the local Autocross course.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Banned

#1 Ball joint- tie rod end. Maybe the S/F prob. But if the S/F was cracked, every time the car's weight shifted, it would make a noise. The reasoning only happens in the morning, overnight it gets setteled into a spot, then it gets moved, hense the "pop" noise. While driving the joint will be under constant motion and have a constant force applied, not giving a louder "pop".
#2 look at 1
#3 trans mount. IF IT WAS the torque/trac arm, every time you hit the gas it would come up and hit the floor, NOT just the 1-2 shift. Meaning it's a trans mount gone bad.

BUT if it were the torque arm, the outter clamshell part is only 12 and change, again I know this from experiance. I had a bolt come out and this happened.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:36 PM

Number 3 is definitly the trans mount i had that problem for a while as well. #1 could range from a whole bunch of thins in the fron suspension
Old 09-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
The idler arms are a "wear item" on our 3rd gens... meaning, they just wear out over time, even if you keep your suspension lubed up. The center link might also be bad, and the rag joint could be shot. The rag joint is between the steering wheel shaft and the steering box. I hear that a direct replacement isn't available anymore, but guys on the suspension/chassis board have been able to adapt new rag joints from other vehicles to fit. But check that spot for a crack in the frame... only fix is to have it welded shut, and possibly braced from the back, so it doesn't happen again.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:11 PM

ok i changed the mount today with the ES one..

#3 seems to have been solved..the tranny doesnt
jump anymore...

but i needed to take the crossmember thing off
the car and use a dremel to make the lower mounting
hole slightly larger...teh bolt was bigger than the hole..

i found one more thign when the car was up
the rear end ..each side of the axle moves in and out
along the tires...by a few mm's

is that play acceptable.??? or is some sort of
C clip / bolt inside the differential is loose???
Old 10-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 89camaroRSV6
ok i changed the mount today with the ES one..

#3 seems to have been solved..the tranny doesnt
jump anymore...

but i needed to take the crossmember thing off
the car and use a dremel to make the lower mounting
hole slightly larger...teh bolt was bigger than the hole..

i found one more thign when the car was up
the rear end ..each side of the axle moves in and out
along the tires...by a few mm's

is that play acceptable.??? or is some sort of
C clip / bolt inside the differential is loose???
Even brand new they move in and out (Left side to right side of car)

Its when they move up and down or front to rear is when the axle bearing are shot.

As for cracks in the frame-- look closely behind the steering box for cracks. this will cause popping noises. Look for the topside and jack the car up and look underneath as well.

Last edited by AFrikanGoodTime; 10-01-2002 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by AFrikanGoodTime
Even brand new they move in and out (Left side to right side of car)

Its when they move up and down or front to rear is when the axle bearing are shot.

As for cracks in the frame-- look closely behind the steering box for cracks. this will cause popping noises. Look for the topside and jack the car up and look underneath as well.
lol even brand new....i was worried there cos
i dont want the whole axle shooting out when i take
a fast corner

i looked at the frame...no cracks...its clean

slight rust here and there but no rust...
Old 10-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys should try riding in my car , heh . I have a bad pitman arm , bearings that need to be replaced , so i get all the vibration through the steering wheel , (like bad ) my back shocks are shot to hell , my tires need balancing and I need to get two new tires .and my back brakes need to be worked on . As for right now , im not to worried about that

Car has been running REAL good for a month now !!!! You guys know how long I went with continous problems .

It'ts round 2 . One week later after Isidore , We are off of school again for Hurricane Lili . This storm is a whole different ballgame .Its VERY dangerous . Winds are 150 mph . Right now , I dont even know if I will have a car fri . I have seven large oak trees in my yard . You guys may not see me for awhile due to damage of home or electricity out . But I'll be back .Ya'll behave yourselves !
Old 10-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Banned

Every one talks about worn steering assemblies or parts. I must say I must be one of the lucky ones. My entire steering linkage is original (Tierod ends, centerlink,pitman, idler arm, etc..) and it is still in solid shape- no signs of any wear or slop at all. Ive owned this car since I think it was '91 and bought from a family member who bought it new. It probably has lasted so long because the first month or so after I bought it I install Iroc V8 sport lowered sport springs in it and at that time some Koni's which has alway limited suspension travel from the stiffness and has most likely prevented alot of wear and movement. I also run synthetic grease and oil in everything I drive.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:45 AM

Thats Like my 1985 Camaro the steering box holding bolt snapped and my steering colum rubs against the belts now, I need to get that fixed but that would involve new threads, a whole new steering system and a decent amount of $

My dads Cavalier has that same steering problem, but he has no clue what it is... It could be the axel...

Also another reason I think it is the axel is the play that you have when you move the wheel ...