V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Possibly performance mods to my 3.1L

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: No F-Body right now
Possibly performance mods to my 3.1L

edit: Heh, sorry about the typo in the title. I meant "Possible"

Hey guys, new here. I've just recently got a 91 Camaro RS, see here:
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs29/f/20...y_MyMirror.jpg

History on the vehicle:
I'm the 3rd owner, just got it 1 1/2 months ago.
3.1L V6, 94K miles, rebuild at 77K (by previous owner's friend, ALL new internals)
700R-4 trans, rebuild around same time as engine, about 77K miles.
I believe there's been no crashes.

Now, after I give the engine a nice tune up I plan on give it a little more *****. I previously had a 92 Beretta GT with the same 3.1L engine, and being 300lbs lighter than the Camaro it seemed stronger, I can tell the extra weight is holding this 3.1 back a bit.

With cars 95 and older being exempt from emissions in my state, I'd like to get everything off that is adding weight and hindering performance. I know the cat is a power robber, and it'll be going.
With that said, I would like to do straight pipes but I can't seem to find exhaust headers that don't merge into a single pipe.

Q1: Are there any out there available to set up a true straight pipe system? Or would I need to get some custom/customized headers done?
edit: Talking to some people on another forum, it was suggested I could just get the stock headers cut before they join and run those back from there. Sounds like my best (and cheapest!) bet.

Now, a camshaft seems like a relatively cheap upgrade that could release some good power. I've seen the list by daves12secv6 in the pinned topic, but...

Q2: Do any of those work in the 3.1L v6? If so which one(s)? If multiple which would yeild the best performance to price ratio?

Q3: How much extra power could I expect from just that? 20hp? more?

Q4
: Any clue on how much it'd cost for a shop to install it? I'll ask my regular mechanic next time I talk to him, but I'd like a general idea.

Q5: Any supporting mods? Like I'm guessing I'd most likely need some strong fuel injectors.

Hope you guys can help!

Last edited by Picolini; 05-30-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1/3100 in progress...Turbo Soon
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Possibly performance mods to my 3.1L

First of all, welcome to the site and nice car.

If you dont have emissions, my advise would be to get the Pasesetter headers (that are coated), high flow cat (helps over stock..and really dosent hurt performance that much), and the Dynomax 2.5in cat-back. True duals and removing the cat really dosent do much on these engines. Now when you get into V8 land...those help more. But with the 3.1L its just putting a lot more money into something that wont really help as much as you think.

Most people say that the 260 grind cam is good. I have one, but havent put it in yet.

As for injectors, there was a post about using different injectors......Might want to look into those.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the reply grimmcs

I'm not looking for more power (although I'd get some with taking the cat out and opening the pipes up a bit, I'm sure) with the exhaust thing, more so sound. I don't need a cat at all, and a whole cat-back set up would cost tons more than some piping into 2 mufflers thrown on.
I'd get some headers, but the cheapest I can find are like $275, and I just can't justify that price currently.

I'm pretty new to engine performance upgrades, haven't done any before. Is it possible to put higher flow injectors on when the system won't utilize it? I would assume so as it'd just go at the pressure needed, not full one the whole time. If I can, any recommendation on injectors for the 3.1 possibly putting out around 200hp, maybe more?

And, could you please link to the 260 grind cam?

Thanks, again!

Last edited by Picolini; 06-01-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

instead of paying 2xx$'s for the cam listed int he sticky
give these guys a call the 260 grind + lifters will run u 100$'s
http://deltacam.com/
the stock valve springs wil work with that cam if u dont plan to rev to high but for 50$'s u can get the correct comp cams valve springs

i have a 260 cam from them and i also had them grind a custom cam for me that im now currently running
Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM

When you say "if I don't plan to rev to high" do you mean there's just no power there? Or it could mess things up (ie, kill the springs)? Because I would of course want to hit the peak rpms in the right situation.

And I'm a bit confused as to what the people in the link will do. Grind down the current cam? Wouldn't that just take away lift causing less performance?

Also, any idea on how much more power you got out of the cam?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Off topic, but 95 and back is emmisions exempt in IL? Sweet.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by JohnC
Off topic, but 95 and back is emmisions exempt in IL? Sweet.
Hahah, yep. I could have sworn I heard that like last year, but when I checked the DMV website it says "Cars 25 years and older." After I read that I asked around and everyone kept saying "95 and older."
Finally, just Friday my mechanic reaffirmed that 95 and older are exempt, and I'm sure he'd know what he's talking about.

I see your in IL, rip the damn cat(s) off!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Originally Posted by Picolini
When you say "if I don't plan to rev to high" do you mean there's just no power there? Or it could mess things up (ie, kill the springs)? Because I would of course want to hit the peak rpms in the right situation.

And I'm a bit confused as to what the people in the link will do. Grind down the current cam? Wouldn't that just take away lift causing less performance?

Also, any idea on how much more power you got out of the cam?
if u dont upgrade the springs u can float the valves at high rpms

the regrinds do not cut down on lift, the base circle is also ground to give more lift

as for cam only power i cant tell u, its a decent upgrade and works well with other mods liek porting the heads and ex systems
Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 PM

Not even a guess within 10hp? Like 30hp or 40hp +/- 10hp? For some where near $200 I would hope it's over 25hp. With supporting mods I'm sure it would the increase would be much larger, and I'd plan on more work as well.

Not to draw your guys attention away from this, but I'm thinking since my Camaro is more reliable than the Beretta, I may rebuild the Beretta as a learning experience and actually do mods like this to that instead. So I've kind of changed this info you guys are giving me towards the Beretta, but it's all the same seeing as how it's the same engine, it's just driving the "wrong" wheels

Imagine a t'charged, cammed, ported, 3.1L in a stripped down Beretta GT (which weighs 2700lbs stock already). Should be quick, huh

Anyways, enough with that.
What do you mean by "float the valves" and the base circle is ground down? Not familiar with these terms, if you could help it'd be great!

edit: Also, any of you with turboed 3.1's have any hp figures? Maybe list your mods as well. Just want to see what the 3.1 is capable of turboed. My guess is with 10psi +/- 2-3psi and the right supporting mods you could get 300hp. Sound right?

Last edited by Picolini; 06-03-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Adding a question