V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

fuel pump- NO POWER. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: :( 3.1
Transmission: 700r4
fuel pump- NO POWER. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

ok, short story of whats wrong, but please read the whole thing, the end is the question....

the problem was... would turn over but no start.. not even igniting the fuel

first, the distributor hold down bolt was too lose and spon (sP) the distributor.. not knowing this it was back firing and running bad so i replaced a the coil and other iteams.. even timing chain,... but then we realized what it was and set the time.. ran good for a day.. then wouldnt crank.. had no idea and i've replaced pretty much every sensor on the car ( ecm, new distributor, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, iac, map, etc. everything.. then one day i tested my fairly new coil and realized it was bad.. so after being upset over not knowing what was wrong and so lost its not even funny.. i realized maybe its my plugs (even tho there new) so i tested them.. BAD so i was happy cause at this point i had no idea what it could be... ok.. this was 2 days ago.. and when i was turning it over testing the plugs i smelt plenty of fuel.. so i know the fuel pump was working... today i changed the plugs and then hooked up the fuel pressure tester... NO PRESSURE.. so.. heres the question

no fuel pressure, but i did the jump on the diognostic port.. no codes.. so i check the relay.. checked the wire diagram in my haynes manual.. the relay gets power, and the oil pressure/ fuel pump switch or w/e on the side of the block has power coming out of the grey wire-- which goes to a inline fuse and to the fuel pump...
i tested power to the grey wire from the sensor.. gets power, but does not get power at the fuel pump...
what is going on??? where is this (inline fuse) i dont have a fuse under the dash..
questions again.. simple

where is this fuse?
why else could my fuel pump not get power after the oil pressure sender?
how can i fix this?
Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1/3100 in progress...Turbo Soon
Transmission: 700r4
Re: fuel pump- NO POWER. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

There are 2/3 relays above/next to the brake booster.
Name:  100_07493.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  51.4 KB
^^^Right where I circled. I believe 1 is the fuel pump relay. Not sure which one...maybe someone can chime in and let you know which.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

The in line fuse for the fuel pump is on the passenger side fender right above the stock air box. It is tucked up in a rubber or plastic boot if I remember correctly. pull out the boot, and should have a regular 20 amp fuse.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 AM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5

Originally Posted by grimmcs
There are 2/3 relays above/next to the brake booster.

^^^Right where I circled. I believe 1 is the fuel pump relay. Not sure which one...maybe someone can chime in and let you know which.
Nice beach buggy LOL
Old 12-27-2008, 01:15 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 l V-6 (from a '90)

Do't know if you fixed your problem or noy but I had a very similar issue. I even had voltage going to the switch that was suposed to actuate it - but I found out that there wasn't enough amperage. I changed the ECM and she started right up.