V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

My water pump is toasty? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My water pump is toasty? HELP!

Your Open Question

Show me another »
What is wrong with my car, i saw a lot of steam under the hood after i turned it off?

Ok I stopped my car and as usual it is hard to start back up, as it is carburated. I noticed a puddle of coolant under my tire. "Thats weird," i thought. Drove away. 15 minutes later, i stopped my car in library parking lot. I heard a "hissssssss" and a CLOUD of steam (wasnt really smoke) came from my driver front tire. I opened the hood.. no leaks in hoses.. it really appeared to be coming from the water pump itself. And yeah, the "overflow tank" had been sucked dry. So, i lost all my coolant. (Car ran like its usual smooth self.)

Im about to refill it with water, the steam went away in about 5 minutes and then i opened my cap. But i need a new Water Pump? Will it lose all the water i put in EVERY time i drive? I need new Water Pump? How much will that cost to have it replaced?

1984 Chevy Camaro 2.8L Auto V6, carburated, 165,000 miles. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: My water pump is toasty? HELP!

Dude, seriously, get a decent tool set and learn to do this stuff yourself. Back in 2004, I paid $240 for a shop to replace my $20 water pump. It's really not that hard. Only reason I went to a shop is because my father paid for it and told me to, otherwise, I'd have done it myself (like I've done twice now).
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip

+1 to that! If you have no knowledge of cars then get a manual and figure out for yourself how to do things. I've had some tech school training, but most of what I know is from diving in and getting dirty or researching.

And no one can diagnose a car over the internet. People can be of help to you, but in the end it's up to you to figure out what's wrong and what to do about it...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Car: 88 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Hey everyone has their strenths and weeknesses. No need to pick on the guy. To me it sounds like possibly the water pump. on the bottom of it theres usually a weep hole that when a seal goes out by the bearings it will leak out of that. if you get a mirror and look at the bottom of the back of the water pump while its installed you can see the hole and usually there will be a coolant trail out of it. if so you need to replace the water pump. its an easy job. any accouple of bolt hold it on and accouple more to get to it if you have a mechanical fan. also need to remove the drive belts.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip

No ones picking on him. I consider this a place to get help with serious questions, not things that you could find very easily in a Haynes manual or a google search. Plus hes not even asking, how do I replace this (which is a rediculous question anyway), he's asking how much will a shop carge to do the work for me? Uhh, I think that question would best be answered by, hmm, i dunno, a shop?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird.
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.27:1 Diskbrakes

Sounds like it overheated, does it have gauges or idiot lights?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: cammed 3.1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

Check your hoses, I was driving my car a few months ago and the heater hose busted and sprayed on the exhaust manifold and there was tons of steam, And I've also had a freeze plug rust through and get coolant on the manifold causing steam. Also I agree with the previous posters it would be a good idea to get you a nice tool set and a shop manual. You would save loads of cash in labor and its not that bad working on these. I'm currently stripping my engine and I've been able to take the whole top half apart with just a few sockets and a screw driver.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Please pardon the words spelling, my keyboard sticks. Thanks 74novaguy, Maverick, K-slice. Just a few things, real fast.. 1) I kow they charge $80 an hour and the pump does cost ~$30 for a new one, so my friend and I will likly spend a day just doing it. That, or a backyard guy. I need to judge my mechanical inclanation. I eel it is the pump, sicne water spurts from behind it in what seems to be a circular fashio.

One thing is for sure, im ot drivign the car until i get it licked one way or the other, so i should be good just getting a new one and changing it out, as it turn, but whines and leaks.

Ive amassed tools for the spark plugs, and focusing on one thing at a time, i would like to say "Thank you" and ill come on again after i get the Water Pump thing done. i was still smarting about th $190 for the ~$50 (?) Fuel Pump (says mine cost $70 with $120 labor) to avoid the highway robbery.

Ok, that should do it for me for a little it, going to go do that and change the oil. Thought someone would know the cost without me asking the shop as im ot able to afford their very high labor prices, epecially repeatedly, but you are right.. ill find out.

Last edited by 84CAMARO28inFL; 03-23-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling, thanks all