V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Hole Next to Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro RS
Hole Next to Oil Filter?

Hole Next to Oil Filter?-c2ypkap.jpg

Sorry if I may seem ignorant asking this, but what is the hole there for and should anything be done with it to go for a responsible drive? I've always had it this way, the engine has ran but was never driven with, I'm in the progress of getting it to function again after a major engine failure and the mickeymouse work that was done to it afterwards in an attempt to fix it. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Car: 1985 trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Hole Next to Oil Filter?

If its the hole I'm thinking of its one of two places you can have you're oil pressure sensor. The other place is up by your distributor. So plug one, and use the other of your preference
Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by KBD85
If its the hole I'm thinking of its one of two places you can have you're oil pressure sensor. The other place is up by your distributor. So plug one, and use the other of your preference
Alright, thanks! This really takes my worries away. Best way would be to use a bolt to plug it?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock

I think they are pipe threads, I could be wrong but I would try a pipe plug of the right size first.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

There are two hole on the oil filter housing for the Oil Pressure Switch, take your pick, and use a brass plug for the other. Make sure you use thread tape or some kind of anti-seize on the threads.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
I think they are pipe threads, I could be wrong but I would try a pipe plug of the right size first.
Unfortunately my pipe plugs aren't the right size, I put a rubber plug in there for now but I can absolutely not guarantee myself that it'll stay put for long. The other point is between the distributor cap and the engine itself? The thing I see there is connected to a valve cover.

PS: Thanks for the advice! ;]
Old 04-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Hmh, this hose next to the distributor cap seems to be connected to the throttle body on my spare engine! I have two 2.8l V6's, one extra for parts, but neither of them have the hole next to the oil filter plugged. And by the way, my main engine has that same hole in the throttle body plugged, is this in any way dangerous?
Old 04-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Not sure why that big hole is wide open. Should have a big plug in it. The OPS holes are about 8-9mm in diameter and are threaded. One may or may not be plugged based on the year of the engine and whether it uses one or 2 oil pressure units.

As for the TB situation...

On the 2.8, there is a big plastic pipe assembly that runs from the TB to a fitting on the back of the intake. This pipe is the idle air bypass pipe. You see, the 2.8 throttle body is a rather crappy design in that the idle air isn't directed back through the TB into the intake within itself. It relies on the pipe to carry the air the engine needs at idle to what is actually the PCV port on the back of the intake. If it's plugged at the TB, you will have to adjust the throttle stop screw to get a decent idle, but your idle speed WILL increase as the engine warms up instead of DECREASING.

You can make a replacement idle air bypass pipe out of 2 PVC 12mm plumbing fittings (a T and a 90* elbow) and a couple feet of coolant hose with a couple clamps. You will also need some fuel line hose that will go on the end of the PCV valve in the 2-6 cylinder head. And no, the actual GM idle air pipe is NOT available. Oh, and you will need to be creative as it comes to the vacuum port assignments for the charcoal canister.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
Not sure why that big hole is wide open. Should have a big plug in it. The OPS holes are about 8-9mm in diameter and are threaded. One may or may not be plugged based on the year of the engine and whether it uses one or 2 oil pressure units.

As for the TB situation...

On the 2.8, there is a big plastic pipe assembly that runs from the TB to a fitting on the back of the intake. This pipe is the idle air bypass pipe. You see, the 2.8 throttle body is a rather crappy design in that the idle air isn't directed back through the TB into the intake within itself. It relies on the pipe to carry the air the engine needs at idle to what is actually the PCV port on the back of the intake. If it's plugged at the TB, you will have to adjust the throttle stop screw to get a decent idle, but your idle speed WILL increase as the engine warms up instead of DECREASING.

You can make a replacement idle air bypass pipe out of 2 PVC 12mm plumbing fittings (a T and a 90* elbow) and a couple feet of coolant hose with a couple clamps. You will also need some fuel line hose that will go on the end of the PCV valve in the 2-6 cylinder head. And no, the actual GM idle air pipe is NOT available. Oh, and you will need to be creative as it comes to the vacuum port assignments for the charcoal canister.
Many thanks, man! Super on all of the information, will see what I can do indeed, and if I can perhaps find the derelict sensor somewhere.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

There is no missing sensor. That wide open hole is supposed to be plugged. Your OPS is in the right place with the proper plug above it. Go to a hardware store and pick up a 3/8 NPT tap and pipe plug. Or whatever the equivalent is in metric. Or measure the hole and pick up the proper cup plug. Either way, I would tend to think that oil will come out of that hole in massive quantities, as the engine runs, if it's not plugged.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
There is no missing sensor. That wide open hole is supposed to be plugged. Your OPS is in the right place with the proper plug above it. Go to a hardware store and pick up a 3/8 NPT tap and pipe plug. Or whatever the equivalent is in metric. Or measure the hole and pick up the proper cup plug. Either way, I would tend to think that oil will come out of that hole in massive quantities, as the engine runs, if it's not plugged.
Interestingly enough it didn't spout all over the place as the engine was running, like one would expect, while I can easily scoop out the oil with my fingers though they don't really fit in the thinner part of the hole. But thanks! Will do so on Monday, got a day off then.