V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

2.8l vacuum line passenger side intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.8l vacuum line passenger side intake

Ok so I have been working on my 89 firebird. It ran well when I parked it.... In 2013. Now that I'm working on it again I discovered a vac line missing that I'm pretty sure was there when I parked it. The vac line goes to the rear of the intake manifold on the passenger side.

It has what appears to be a t connector on it that goes to the brake booster I believe.

But where does the other end go.

I have a vac line schematic but it just isn't making sense to me atm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 2.8l vacuum line passenger side intake

The photo is from 88 2.8 Firebird. The missing vacuum line on this goes to a tee that splits off. One side of the T has a small plastic tube that goes into the wiring harness and into the car for the heater control. The other side of the T goes to the cruise control vacuum canister. You should be able to cap it off until the car is running correctly and deal with it later.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mark RWC
The photo is from 88 2.8 Firebird. The missing vacuum line on this goes to a tee that splits off. One side of the T has a small plastic tube that goes into the wiring harness and into the car for the heater control. The other side of the T goes to the cruise control vacuum canister. You should be able to cap it off until the car is running correctly and deal with it later.
Thank you. now it makes sense. The car has received a new fuel pump, alternator, battery, and belt. She tried hard to run but it just didn't happen today. The few seconds it done run it sounded great, but it kinda acts like it's getting gas sometimes and Sometimes not. I'm thinking a fuel filter will probably be in order.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:45 PM

If the car sat for a long time the gas may be bad especially gas with ethanol mixed in at the pump. Gas with ethanol can go bad in 3 months.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:40 PM

The fuel is fresh, I had to drop the tank and replace the pump. The tank set out in the rain so I drained the water, got the wife to clean the inside of tank with a towel, installed the pump and put in fresh gas.

Residual water in the tank maybe?
Old 04-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 663 Likes on 473 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Nic Lewis
. It ran well when I parked it.... In 2013.
Seeing this statement , that the car sat 7 years with the old fuel in it , I would bet that your injectors are clogged with what all old gasoline turns into eventually , , , , , ,

Dinosaur boogers !

Want your car to run ? hit up Southbay fuel injectors (A TGO sponsor) for a fresh set and your car will run again .

PS I have no affiliation with Southbay other than having bought a set from him for OrangeBird , who runs like a new car with them .

Last edited by OrangeBird; 04-12-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-13-2020, 12:05 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Seeing this statement , that the car sat 7 years with the old fuel in it , I would bet that your injectors are clogged with what all old gasoline turns into eventually , , , , , ,

Dinosaur boogers !

Want your car to run ? hit up Southbay fuel injectors (A TGO sponsor) for a fresh set and your car will run again .

PS I have no affiliation with Southbay other than having bought a set from him for OrangeBird , who runs like a new car with them .
We should have mentioned to everyone....we are up and running. Fully operational however closed to the public except for drop offs. So we are still taking orders and shipping. If you need help with anything
you can call us in the shop. We'll be more than happy to help you. 516-442-4707
Old 04-16-2020, 03:12 PM

Your other post says car will not start. Get a can of starting fluid. Spray into the intake and see if the engine starts. Does it starts and then stalls with starting fluid? If it starts and stalls it is likely the engine is not getting fuel.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:33 PM

IT LIVES. Thank you everyone for the replies y'all were Correct it wasn't getting fuel. After it ran on the starter for a few mins I got to examining some wires around the fender. The fuel pump relay was jacked around at the plug. A new relay and relay plug did the trick.

Not bad for a 7+ year setup.

The only problem I saw from this test start is I have to hold the accelerator slightly to start and occasionally to keep her running. Throttle body sensor maybe?

Also a cable, I think for the tranny was attached to the top of the throttle body but the clip dry rotted and now it's unattached lol. Can I just buy a clip or do I need a New cable.

I plan on sea foaming a vac line next week.

Thank you all this forum has been very helpful.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:34 PM

I figured it out. Kickdown cable. Has to be replaced