Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

i want a smooth ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 camaro iroc-z
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: auto
i want a smooth ride

hey, i was just wondering what will give me a really smooth ride, i have a 89' camaro iroc and its pretty bumpy going.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: i want a smooth ride

Originally Posted by 89IrockerZ
hey, i was just wondering what will give me a really smooth ride, i have a 89' camaro iroc and its pretty bumpy going.
Welcome to TGO.

That's pretty much the nature of the beast. You might swap in new struts/shocks and replace all rubber bushings, but even then....

JamesC
Old 08-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 89IrockerZ

Thanks
*Monroe sensatrac shocks

*Lots of chassis bracing-(i.e.- Subframe connectors, wonderbar, STB 3pt, roll bar hoop- any weight you can add to the chassis to brace it and make it heavier.More sprung weight)

*Install Dynamat sound deadening material to damper chassis vibration and add weight.

*Lightweight wheels and tires-Large sidewalls (less unsprung weight)

*Lighter weight swaybars

*Replace all factory rubber bushings

The car will ride like a Cadillac!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird - 1998 Z28
Engine: 2.8 - LS1

...Or just buy a Cadillac.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 PM

Car: 1985 Z28 + 1991 RS convertable
Engine: 350 TPI w/aluminum heads
Transmission: R700 w/ a shift kit

Originally Posted by Vetruck
*Monroe sensatrac shocks

*Lots of chassis bracing-(i.e.- Subframe connectors, wonderbar, STB 3pt, roll bar hoop- any weight you can add to the chassis to brace it and make it heavier.More sprung weight)

*Install Dynamat sound deadening material to damper chassis vibration and add weight.

*Lighter weight swaybars

Not True!!! Ihave done lots of these and still have a rough ride..I also own a Cadillac...They would never ride the same!
Best advice..the car is supposed to ride that way, if you want a smooth ride..get a different car!
Camaros are for Real Men!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Car: 1992 rs 355 TBI **swapped**
Engine: 80 Ford Fiesta GHIA dual carb
Transmission: 72 Cutlass S 350/350 3.42
Axle/Gears: s10 tq converter/stock rear gear

i dunno, kinda always saw these as grand touring cars, plenty of room for stuff, decent handling, long legs, decent mpg.... i kinda like a smooth ride too.

but stock these cars arent bad... does urs just need some new stuff?
I run sfc's and koni stock replacement soft as hell shocks on stock rs springs on stock rims running yoko avs intermediate tires, feels nice on the freeway
Old 09-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by Vetruck
*Monroe sensatrac shocks

*Lighter weight swaybars

I've heard conflicting things here... i was set on eventually getting some SFC's but after reading some things on here, I'm not so sure anymore. But I've heard on hear that installing SFC's greatly increases the handling, but creates a much rougher ride. I've also heard that a 3pt STB isn't much better than a 2pt. So whats the word?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 AM

3rd genx have very heavy suspension parts- What does this mean? Well, combined with a lught weight very flimsy unibody chassis, the end result is very low ride ratio when factoring sprung to unspeung weight ratos. A high ratio will ride better as the low ratio unsprung weight will not 'unsettle' the heavier sprung weight of the chassis. ....aka- rides like a cadillac.

To the guy above that said I was wrong becasue he did most of them and he also owns a Cadillac and it would never ride like one? Your first problem is you did most of them, not all of them. and I would like to see picutres of the "most of them" you claim you did.

Did you completely strip the interior and dynomat everything? I highly doubt it- I DID

Did you replace every single busshing on the car with new factory rubber bushings? I highly doubt you did

Do you have Monroe sensitrac shocks and struts?

Did you brace all of the unibody chassis and then check it for flex or major chassis fatigue or even worse...rust and weakness as a result? These chassis are flimsy. Perimeter stitched SFC's "and further creative bracing" will stiffen the chassis as well as eliminate all creaks and flexing- Note; some cars may just need stitch welded SFC's, others may be so bad as to might need a cage put into it for ffront and rear unibody support and boxing.

Based on how much suppot is added to stiffen the chassis will depend on how much further you will need to add 'sprung weight' get get your ride ratio UP.

THEN- you will need 75 series tires like the comparible 80's Cadillacs with simular geometry suspension engineering rode on (older technology suspension points and leverage) You can't run on 50 series 7-8" wide wheels and tires, scrap those and go to 5.5-6" wide 15" wheels and 205-75-15 tires.

IT WILL RIDE LIKE A CADILLAC

Dean
Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Caddy's ride like a boat - floats over the road - no handling at all - meant for a comfy ride across the open highway. I guess some like this, but these cars were never intended to ride like a Caddy - they were meant to be driven as a sports car, redlight to redlight, parking lot donuts, runnin' from the law - thus Smokie & The Bandit.

I spent a ton of cash to get a stiff ride out of my car, a sports car, a road racer more on the canyon carving side of handling - and I love it.

Polyurathane, Eibachs, and Bilsteins all the way!

But I'm sure doing the above will allow you to kick the seat back, light up a doobie, and float on down the road. Sounds like you're looking for more of a Monte Carlo or Cutlass Supreme ride, which were both nice rides as well, just different.

Good Luck in your endeavors!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

The Berlinetta was the luxury version of the Camaro. It included softer springs, no rear sway bar, heavier rubber backing on the carpeting etc.

IMO a Caddie rides more smoothly because of it's weight and soft suspension. I would try softer springs, decent front and rear sway bars and shocks like the Sensa-tracs. I might even opt out of the SFC's since the body flex helps absorb some of the road noise which is why I think the Burly's lack some of the bracing. You could also add weight with things like dynomat, GM delux carpeting, seats or whatever to get the type of thing you're looking for. But I would sell what you have and get a Berlinetta/LT instead since that's what these were made for.

Difference in carpeting, both original GM:
Name:  CleanBurlynewoldcarpetwithcorrec-5.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  96.7 KB

Really thick rubber backing. I'd doubt you'll find this aftermarket anywhere.