Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

manual to power top

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: auto
manual to power top

i don't know if it's possible because i don't know how the power tops work. personally i don't think it would be worth the time and money, but is it even remotely possible to fab something up to make it work?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Not that it's going to help but I've wanted to figure this out since I got my car. any possible way to rig up the motors/noids from a power top car like a *gasp*mustang or something?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi
I don't think it would be easy at all. I thought about it and not sure about finding motors that lift the back half of the top, another to lift the tonneau, another to lower the back half, then fold the top down completely. Do 4th gens have a tonneau cover that works like ours??
Old 04-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
CAN it be done?

yes... i think i figured out a method too...

is it pratical, or worth doing? probly not.

my idea is pretty simple...

a linar actuator opens the tonnu cover.
a modified linkage hydralicly moves the front part out... like a conventional power top..

but because the back has to flip up, im thinking a cable system for that... where the motor is mounted in the car and a cable snaking up the B pillar area mounts to the rear top bar that doesnt move and connects to the rear base of the top.... when the motor pulls the cable in, the rear of the top raises. once raised the linar actuator can lower the top,
the pin will fall in as its not stopped by the clip... once its in then a noid will pop back to its rest position, locking the top in.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:45 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
Is it possible... YES... is it going to be easy/cheap to do... not in a million years. You would need a bunch motors, and a motor controller, as well as the time/money/ability to fabricate the mounting points. If you think that the whole, up then down is a problem, it's not. Just look at other convertible cars with automatic tops and hard taneau covers, or if you wanna see something really cool, take a look at some hard top convertibles like the new caddy XLR. Those things go up, down, left right, and sideways.
So to answer your question, it is possible, but it would take a good deal of work to get done
Old 04-05-2004, 10:52 PM

Car: 89 IROCZ vert
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T5
I have thought about this for a little while. The Saab 9 series convertibles have a automatic roof which seems retract in a similar fashion to our manual roof.

If may be worth a look.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:59 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z Convertable
Engine: 350 Cam, Heads, Heders...etc.
Transmission: 700-r4 "Raptor"
I have seen a 87 cadillac... allante that seems to have the exact same top as ours, maybe with a few differences... and it is fully automatic... it would be worth looking into.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:12 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1988 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Also, the new AUDI convertible have a top very much like ours.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:04 PM

Car: '90 RS Vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700-R4
NO Thanks!

It is an intrigueing idea. If you can imagine it it can be done - if you spend enough money.

My camaro was the first vehicle I ever owned with power windows. I've always considered them just something else to tear up and I think the same applies to a powered top.

An interesting story...

I was on a second date with a very attractive female - Blonde, Blue, big and small in the appropriate places. We had gone to the theatre to see a movie and I parked in a place where I could be assured that if I got dinged it would only be on one side. There was an empty space on the passenger side and in the very next space was a fairly new Musdang convertible. The owner was sitting in his car listening to the radio I guess. I noticed him eyeing my date as she climbed out of the car and I started putting up the top. This was before I found the problem with my switch so I was having to filip the back seat up and pull the loops to get the tonneau up - you know the routine.

Well, the guy in the Musdang (no I'm not mispelling it!) said to my date "That looks like a lot of work." To which I replied "it's not too bad." He said " when I put up my top all I do is press this little button." My date replied " Yeah, but yours isn't a classic..."

Speedy
Old 11-09-2004, 04:46 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1988 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
GOOD STORY!! She sounds like a keeper.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
Speaking of Cadillac... A 1984 or '85 Eldo is factory electric top and hooks somewhat akward from the Firebirds, but it's real glass, real tough and real classy looking! I plan to just buy the drop top Eldo down the line and drop a bigger engine into it. Then the fun of altering the digital electric circuits and rigging up new manual ones begins. The small back end allow one to get around the Firebird if you're tall enough, but it still is a b*tch