Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

power antenna wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Iroc-Z 28 Camaro
Engine: LSX
Transmission: MN12
Axle/Gears: 3.42
power antenna wiring

ok so i have an 88 iroc with power antenna but its not wired, i looke under the dash an found the relay but icant see ne wires coming out of it, so i went driectly to the antenna and there are 3 wires that are cut green white and grey. i ve searched the other posts for an answer but could only find the is diagram but i dont understand it, so does ne one know how to wire this?
thanks chris
Attached Thumbnails power antenna wiring-ant1.gif  
Old 04-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Re: power antenna wiring

come on guys, some bodys gotta know, ne info is appreciated
Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

Don't understand what you want from someone. Did you find the correct relay or do you want to wire your own stuff to the antenna?

If you want to get the antenna to work the Dk/Grn is always ground. For down you need to send +12v to the white wire and for up you need to send +12v to the gray wire.

I could draw you a schematic with 2 aftermarket relays if you want.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:00 PM

yea soory maybe iwasnt clear on my question, i want to know how to wire it my self with new wires and realy. the way it is rite now wen i apply ground to green and power to grey i believe it goes up but to make it go down the green wire must have power in it and then ground to either gry or white eithter one makes it go down, so i am also wondering maybe there is something wrong with the antenna?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 PM

woops I read the diagram wrong the first time.

When radio on and acc on Gray is Grounded and Dk Green is 12v

When radio is off Dk green is ground and white is 12v

I can draw you up a diagram for 2 relays sometime but it wont be in the next day or 2 so if you can wait I will do it for ya. Prolly do it in a paint document.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 PM

yea that makes alot of sence wen its off is ground, so i would need 2 relays, but then y would there be only one in the car originaly? but anyway if u could draw up a diagram wen u get a chance that would be much appreciated
thanks chris
Old 04-17-2007, 11:18 PM

Cause they have the relay MADE to do that. The regular Bosch relays are not set up to do all that in one housing. It wouldnt be a huge deal. I could even make the relay pack for you and send it to ya for a small fee. I would make the wires coming out of it same colors as the ones in the diagram. Just let me know and tell me how long of wire you would want and I would do it this weekend prolly then send it out and you could have it by next Wed.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:23 PM

thanks for the offer i do appreciate it but the relay in my car is still there so im gonna try an take it out and reuse it but if not i ll try and wire up a realy system with the info u provided, thanks alot that info really helped tho
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Not to be a jerk, but I am not going to do the drawing unless you need it then. If you cant get the other one to work let me know and I will take the time to help you, if you dont NEED it then it will be a real waste of time ya know?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM

well the diagram for the 2 relays would be a HUGE help cuz i dont think i will be able to get the original relay out as i have attempted to before and its in there really good, so if it wouldnt be to much trouble a 2 relay diagram would be a big help if not i ll prolly just spend a couple hrs tryin to pry that bad boy out nd go from there
Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z/28
Engine: LU5 305 CFI
Axle/Gears: J65/G80/G92-3.23

First thing are you sure the antenna works properly?Easiest way to get to the antenna is to take the wheels off and remove the inner fender liner(is you haven't already found this out).You can't locate any of the interior harness?It may be tucked/secured up under the edge of the dash.The antenna harness on my '83 is secured up under the dash.It was disconnected because the antenna stopped working(I've since replaced the antenna).Start with the pink wire off the back of the radio's harness to see if any of the factory harness is there.There could be a similar problem with yours as mine.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM

the antenna works proerly as i have applied power to it and it does operatiate fine, its just the wiring harness was removed all im left with is 3 wires coming out of it which are in the fender well and the realy that i can particaly see so i need to know how to re wire this up using the 3 wires coming out of the antenna
Old 04-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z/28
Engine: LU5 305 CFI
Axle/Gears: J65/G80/G92-3.23

That's great the antenna works good.On the harness what you may try is going to a salvage yard and looking for mid '80s full and mid size GM vehicles with a power antenna.They use basically the same harness as the Camaro plus they are longer.This way you could rewire yours without adding another relay.

The wiring from the antenna can be rerun back thru the same body grommet the antenna cable runs thru(if you haven't already done this).
Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 AM

you know wut thats a good idea im gonna see if i can get one of those tomorrow from paradise alley , jeez i dunno y that didnt hit me lol thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 04:22 PM

I have an 88 IROC and am familar with the wiring for the power antenna. The relay that you're referring to is actually very simple to remove, it just appears to be difficult. It appears to have two screws holding it when actually it is hooked to a prong. They're about 20 dollars new or you can use one from any Camaro or Firebird that had a power antenna. The three wires that you are referring to goes to the relay but only two actualy lead from it and only one is then hooked to the car stereo. If you need more help, feel free to email me at Ryas2kidz@aol.com
Old 04-23-2007, 09:19 PM

hey thanks 4 the help man, im gonna take that relay out this week and re wire it
Old 02-27-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Z28 / 1984
Engine: 5L
Transmission: Auto

Thanks for this OLD thread, but it helped me a lot !!!
Just i don'd find where is the relay, and what Part Number if mine is dead ?
(actually i don't have 12V post contact working, so my radio is on 12V permanent, and antenna wire not yet connected, so i can't test yet if it's goof or not !)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcjredline
Cause they have the relay MADE to do that. The regular Bosch relays are not set up to do all that in one housing. It wouldnt be a huge deal. I could even make the relay pack for you and send it to ya for a small fee. I would make the wires coming out of it same colors as the ones in the diagram. Just let me know and tell me how long of wire you would want and I would do it this weekend prolly then send it out and you could have it by next Wed.
Like to convert my 90 bird from mast antenna to power antenna. I have the correct antenna for the conversion. The wiring is correct. But I do not have an existing relay in the dash. Also, how do I wire to the radio from the relay?
Any help would be appreciated. If you could help me get this power antenna up an running I certainly would compensate you for it.
Old 03-20-2022, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by dcjredline
Don't understand what you want from someone. Did you find the correct relay or do you want to wire your own stuff to the antenna?

If you want to get the antenna to work the Dk/Grn is always ground. For down you need to send +12v to the white wire and for up you need to send +12v to the gray wire.

I could draw you a schematic with 2 aftermarket relays if you want.
Just wanted to point out this wiring is WRONG. If you make Dk/Grn always ground and bench test you will break it because it will always be retracting. See this thread of correct wiring information

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-...r-antenna.html
Old 03-20-2022, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 739 Likes on 565 Posts
Car: Resto-Mod 1987 IROC-Z Clone
Engine: Alky fed L92 Vortec Twin-Turbo 6.8L
Transmission: My own built/ design 4L80M
Axle/Gears: Custom 12 bolt (4.10:1)

Originally Posted by jkrueger
Just wanted to point out this wiring is WRONG. If you make Dk/Grn always ground and bench test you will break it because it will always be retracting. See this thread of correct wiring information

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-...r-antenna.html
You just "Quoted" a Post that is 15 Years old...

Please do not repeat doing so.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok. starting all over. How can I convert a non power antenna to a power antenna?
The following users liked this post:
Mouthpear (01-08-2024)
Old 03-20-2022, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2Formula's
Ok. starting all over. How can I convert a non power antenna to a power antenna?
If I was trying to do this, I would purchase

Amazon Amazon

You need to drill out the top rivet so you can turn the outer mast 180degrees so it works with the Camaro mount.

Then using the information from the other post you would need to do some wiring. The radio will normally have a power antenna out single 12v positive wire. That will give you the power up while the radio is on. The harder one will be to send the 12v power to bring it back down. I am not sure if that is always supplied and could basically run down the battery. Or if it runs for say a minute or two after the car turns off. I assume that is what that whole controller is doing that everyone talks about where the relays plug into.

FWIW as you can see from the amazon link this is the same antenna used in 88 Jeeps Cherokee. So maybe you can find some wiring help from there.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
You just "Quoted" a Post that is 15 Years old...

Please do not repeat doing so.
Even if the information is wrong? This is the top hit on google for wiring on power antenna. I guess we could let the wrong information keep getting spread.
The following users liked this post:
Mouthpear (01-08-2024)
Old 03-21-2022, 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 739 Likes on 565 Posts
Car: Resto-Mod 1987 IROC-Z Clone
Engine: Alky fed L92 Vortec Twin-Turbo 6.8L
Transmission: My own built/ design 4L80M
Axle/Gears: Custom 12 bolt (4.10:1)

This is an enthusiast Forum... (NOT Professional Advice).
70% of the information on this Forum is either Incorrect or purely Opinionated.
Do NOT simple do something because you read it on the NET.

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
This Post is not directed towards any one Person/ Member here.

This is an Enthusiast Message Forum.
It is NOT a Free Diagnosis and Repair Message Forum.

We have Members here from all walks of life.
We have some Members who are actual Experts in some Fields of Automotive Service and Repair...
We have some Members who are actual Experts/ Professionals in the Medical and Legal Fields, as well as many other Fields.
However, we also have some Members that are not Experts in any way, shape, or form that can give Amazing advice...
But lastly, we also have Members here that can not figure-out how to chew gum, or be trusted to screw in a House Hold Light Bulb.

Any advice given here is to be taken with a grain of salt.
DO NOT take somewhat random advice from People whom you do not know, over the Internet.
Any advice followed here, is on the onus of the individual that reads said advice.
Have some common sense here.

None of us signed-up to be Professionals that strictly help others with their Vehicle problems!
We are all here first as Enthusiast, and second as most anything else that we wish... ONLY if we wish...
And none of us are providing "Professional" Automotive Service and Repair Diagnostic-Information... Otherwise there would be a Fee and a Contract for services rendered.

At least here in the USA, there are Liability/ Legal responsibilities to be observed...
None of which would anyone affiliated with "ThirdGen.org" want to enter into agreements over.

Please, please, please... Do not blindly follow any advice, from anyone...
without being in a professional setting, and receiving service or goods from a Professional.
And even then... Do your own research People!

In this day and age, I did not believe that this Topic would have to be spelled out...
Wow was I wrong!
Old 01-08-2024, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2Formula's
Like to convert my 90 bird from mast antenna to power antenna. I have the correct antenna for the conversion. The wiring is correct. But I do not have an existing relay in the dash. Also, how do I wire to the radio from the relay?
Any help would be appreciated. If you could help me get this power antenna up an running I certainly would compensate you for it.

I know this an OLD post but I wanted to ask if this person ever got the answer to what they need. I believe I can help them. But could not find how to contact them privately so here I am trying to get ahold of them. Don't get on my back for trying to help? After all that what forums are for is it not?