TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

89 formula firebird not starting... helppp

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 formula firebird not starting... helppp

Hello i have a 1989 formula firebird 305 v8 automatic that im having an issue with. I drove to the next town over, on my way back it stalled 7 times, started back up everytime. On the 8th time it completely died. I have power to my lights and everything still just no cranking and starting. Most the time it was stalling was when i started to slow down for a stop it would shut off. Got it pushed home. Had my battery and starter checked, battery was bad, and starter solenoid was bad. changed both and still nothing. The security light dont come on (just when you first turn the key like usual it turns on, but right back off) I have not a clue where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: 89 formula firebird not starting... helppp

Did you install the CORRECT solenoid on the starter?

Did you wire it properly?

Is the starter itself defective?

Is the new battery any good? Properly charged?

Are the battery cables still usable? How do you know? Were they tested?

Rule of thumb, usually applicable: If the solenoid doesn't click when you turn the key to "Crank", it's wiring from battery to ignition switch to solenoid; or the ground side. If the solenoid clicks but the starter motor doesn't crank, it's the solenoid, or the starter, or the engine is locked-up.

It's VERY EASY to buy defective crap from China.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:43 AM

Pretty sure it was the right solenoid I had autozone search up the right one for me to buy, but it did end up having one less post in it then my original, batteries fine, if it was anything to do with the starter what would explain it stalling randomly while I was driving and starting back up just fine ?
Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lxfallenxl
Pretty sure it was the right solenoid I had autozone search up the right one for me to buy, but it did end up having one less post in it then my original
The original solenoid had a post with no wires on it? Or the new solenoid doesn't have the wires in the correct place?

batteries fine,
How do you know the battery is fine? How about battery cables?

if it was anything to do with the starter what would explain it stalling randomly while I was driving and starting back up just fine ?
If it started up just fine, why did you need a battery and a starter solenoid?

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Rule of thumb, usually applicable: If the solenoid doesn't click when you turn the key to "Crank", it's wiring from battery to ignition switch to solenoid; or the ground side. If the solenoid clicks but the starter motor doesn't crank, it's the solenoid, or the starter, or the engine is locked-up.
Does the solenoid click?

Originally Posted by Schurkey
It's VERY EASY to buy defective crap from China.
Did you buy Chinese parts?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM

my father was actually the one that put the solenoid on, and wasnt sure about the posts but once it was off there was an extra post that the new solenoid does not have, and the solenoid does not click, no sounds at all, battery has been tested and seems good, battery cables look fine havent taken a volt meter to it as far as i know of, and it WAS starting fine, it ran great, then out of no where one day was when it started stalling then just died and nothing happened when you turned the key thats when i got the solenoid and battery tested and got new ones. and they are not chinese parts
Old 04-28-2015, 01:34 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi Stock
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

Pull your kick panel off drivers side and check your crank relay mine went bad the other day just an idea with out it car had no power to starter you can just jump it to see if it changes anything bridge both end connectors and try to crank the car.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:37 PM

where exactly is the crank relay? i already have the panels off i was looking through the wires the other day lol
Old 04-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Behind the kick panel that has the hood release
Old 04-28-2015, 01:42 PM

alright ill check it out
Old 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM

Looks just like the fuel pump relay
Old 04-28-2015, 02:17 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 Tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Just out of curiosity, because I have had this happen... are you sure it has gas and that the sending unit is functioning properly to make the gauge read right?........
Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

He has a no crank condition which would indicate the starter relay as Poseidon has suggested. The solenoid with the extra post sounds like an older (pre electronic ignition) type that used that extra post to provide power back to the points type distributor through a ballast resistor. The older points type distributors had two wires to power the points, a direct 12 volts when in start to aid in starting and when in run, the power was applied from the second post on the solenoid through a ballast resistor and then to the points. This aided in prolonging the life of the points by dropping the voltage to around 6 to 8 volts which created less arching as the points opened and closed.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigal55
He has a no crank condition which would indicate the starter relay as Poseidon has suggested. The solenoid with the extra post sounds like an older (pre electronic ignition) type that used that extra post to provide power back to the points type distributor through a ballast resistor. The older points type distributors had two wires to power the points, a direct 12 volts when in start to aid in starting and when in run, the power was applied from the second post on the solenoid through a ballast resistor and then to the points. This aided in prolonging the life of the points by dropping the voltage to around 6 to 8 volts which created less arching as the points opened and closed.

Yes. But before he started messing with all the things he replaced when it was stalling on him it was turning over everytime. That sounds like either put of gas or pump dying. I'm talking about the original issue.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 PM

as far as i know of the gauge reads right. I know the gas was low but not empty, even in an instance that it was just about completely out, it should still do something when i turn the key right
Old 04-28-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Put the ignition in the on or run position. Take a long piece of wire of at least 16 ga. Strip one end and wrap it around the small post on the solenoid. Strip the other end and press it to the positive battery terminal. Does the car crank and start? If so, you have a problem with the start circuit. This could be a number of things including your ignition switch, wiring from the switch to your neutral safety switch or from there to the starter relay or from there to the solenoid. Get a meter (vom) and check voltages from the solenoid back through the circuit until you find where you are losing voltage.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM

Yes now you need to fix the no crank issue but I was running on 2 days no sleep and only thinking about the original issue and never specified. Once you get crank again fill it up, if it sputter when low again I'd guess the line in the tank from pump out has cracked.