Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1999 dodge intrepid wont turn over someone help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 camaro/ '89 gmc s15 lower'd.
Engine: 305tbi 5.0 & 4.3v6 soon to be 350.
Transmission: 5spd manual/camaro.. auto/s15
1999 dodge intrepid wont turn over someone help please

i know it's not a camaro but if anyone can help it would be appreciated... a few weeks ago me and my boy were putting a system in his car (nothing great just some good bass/amp and some voice) it was running fine when parked to put the system in and now wont start... car is a 1999 dodge intrepid so i mean it's a problem that needs to be fixed as the cars sitting useless. i've done countless systems in my own and other peoples cars over the years and i've never seen this happen so it has me confused... all wiring was done correctly so it makes no sense..

it will not start, it will not turn over, it just clicks (you know the sound... kind of like a dieing battery or starter) obviously we thought it was the starter so we replaced it but still no luck, all fuses are good... it just clicks..... lights are all very bright so we assume it isn't the battery, we also gave it a charge just for the hell of it. no luck..

we just parked the car and began running wires, hooking up speakers/amps etc which for both of us is stuff we've been doing for a while and we're not pros to say but we know what we're doing... i correctly wired up the head unit, properly grounded, all wiring shrink tubed. wired and grounded amp correctly, put power wire to amp on the + bolt in fuse relay box under the hood. the system is not the problem, it's hooked up and working fine, but theres no point in having a system in a car that doesn't go anywhere..
so long story short, the car wont turn over it just clicks, new starter/ charged batt still no luck, what is it?

while i know everything is hooked up correctly as it's working fine and putting out the right number but just for the hell of it could a problem in the deck or speaker wiring cause this? can anyone give me an idea of what the problem could be? its a nice car and my boy is about to junk the f-ing thing he's discusted lol so i came on here to see if anyone can figure this out before having to take it to a shop.

later,
-Mike
Old 08-11-2006, 07:15 AM

are you getting any fuel at all? disconnect the fuel lines and see if u are getting any fuel. If you are use the trouble code check method by turning your switch on and off 2 times and leave it in the the on position, do this without starting the car.. your check engine light should blink a few times and it should then read out a code
Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 AM

Car: '88 camaro/ '89 gmc s15 lower'd.
Engine: 305tbi 5.0 & 4.3v6 soon to be 350.
Transmission: 5spd manual/camaro.. auto/s15
Originally Posted by 305 black ghost
are you getting any fuel at all? disconnect the fuel lines and see if u are getting any fuel. If you are use the trouble code check method by turning your switch on and off 2 times and leave it in the the on position, do this without starting the car.. your check engine light should blink a few times and it should then read out a code

hey thanks for the reply,, well i didnt check if its getting any fuel because i didnt think it was a fuel related problem but i will check it out... although its not even attempting to turn over it just clicks when you turn the key. like a car does with a bad starter or dieing battery so i thought for sure with a new starter and charged batt it would of fixed it so now i'm confused.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
obviously everything was not connected right if it worked before you installed the stereo. Ever thought of disconnecting all the stereo stuff then trying to crank the car? If you wired up subs and capacitors then your batter may be too inferior.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Car: 1986 Z28 Camaro
Could have also grounded it badly. I know that we did some work to my friend's Mustang and the cable ended up shorting out due to not being grounded. All the lights worked perfectly, as did the stereo.. but if you tried to turn it over, it wouldnt do it at all just "click click click".
Old 08-11-2006, 12:08 PM

Car: 1984 15th Anv. T/A
Engine: HO 5.0
Transmission: TH700r4
Axle/Gears: not sure yet!
i dunno if it would be the right year of vehicle or not, but i do know that some newer vehicles,, well most of the newer vehicles now a day do, they have a security device located in the head unit of the vehicle.. it controls many different things in the car.. even airbad deployment and so on, i would suggest taking out the aftermarket head unit, and putting the stock one back in and seeing if it will turn over then... you might have to get a bypass wiring harness that allows you to keep the stock radion in the vehicle to sill operate vital electronics.. and have an aftermarket system aswell.. just a thought.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10
You could always try jumping it to rule out the battery.. sounds like a battery or a bad connection somewhere.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
As you may remember from reading the Posting Rules, this site is intended as a forum for ThirdGen GM F-Body cars.

I appreciate your problem. You might try signing up and logging in at:

Automotive Forums .com Car Chat - Powered by vBulletin

There are forums specific to your vehicle and platform, and Moderators and Advisors there who are quite capable of pointing you in the right direction.

Thank you for your understanding.