Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

URGENT! help jumping starter solenoid!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 camaro z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.73
URGENT! help jumping starter solenoid!

OK so tomorrow i'm going to look at a 91 z28 l98 that the owner claims needs a starter. I want to try to jump the starter well the solenoid technically, to hear it run so I can trust buying it. problem is im not sure where the starter is or which bolt to connect the starter to. can anyone he help me? pictures would be great>

Last edited by Savage388; 05-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Gta trans am project 1-1/2
Engine: 86 4 bolt main cammed sbc 355 hsr
Transmission: 89 wc bw t5
Axle/Gears: Bw 9 bolt (3.27) pbr 11in
Re: URGENT! help jumping starter solenoid!

A way to jump the solenoid is take a screw driver rest it on the big post an then touch it on the little lead post next to the engine block the starter should crank the motor if not replace the whole starter
Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by soarestransam
A way to jump the solenoid is take a screw driver rest it on the big post an then touch it on the little lead post next to the engine block the starter should crank the motor if not replace the whole starter
Ok Right. there are two smaller posts on the gm starters. one is closer to the bigger post. which one would i send current to?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Only engines with breaker point ignitions used the third, "return" post. It was used to return 12 volts to the ignition coil for starting. While the starter on the 91 may have the third post, it will not be connected to anything. You need to apply power to the post with the single purple wire on it. I don't know however if the screwdriver trick is going to work since clearance is so tight in that area. Of course as on any chevy V8, the starter is at the rear, lower passenger side, corner of the engine. You may need to get a push button remote starter switch from the parts store. It will have alligator clips that you can attach to the posts then push the button to crank the engine.

Remember, if nothing happens, it could just be a dead battery and not the starter.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ASE doc
Only engines with breaker point ignitions used the third, "return" post. It was used to return 12 volts to the ignition coil for starting. While the starter on the 91 may have the third post, it will not be connected to anything. You need to apply power to the post with the single purple wire on it. I don't know however if the screwdriver trick is going to work since clearance is so tight in that area. Of course as on any chevy V8, the starter is at the rear, lower passenger side, corner of the engine. You may need to get a push button remote starter switch from the parts store. It will have alligator clips that you can attach to the posts then push the button to crank the engine.

Remember, if nothing happens, it could just be a dead battery and not the starter.
Ok can i just use a jumper cable from the battery to the post with the purple wire on the solenoid instead? id rather not have to buy a push button starter on something that I'm just checking out.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

a really long screwdriver or prybar will work , a normal sized screwdriver also works but its just harder to get down there. if u have a radio shack nearby go buy 2 aligator clips some wire and a momentary push button.

one wire to each terminal on the switch aligator clip on each end .

crawl under the car hook one terminal to the small terminal near the block the other end goes to either the big starter post or positive battery cable , push the button and the starter should turn over

buying the stuiff from radioshack should only cost u maybe 7 bucks
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by project89
a really long screwdriver or prybar will work , a normal sized screwdriver also works but its just harder to get down there. if u have a radio shack nearby go buy 2 aligator clips some wire and a momentary push button.

one wire to each terminal on the switch aligator clip on each end .

crawl under the car hook one terminal to the small terminal near the block the other end goes to either the big starter post or positive battery cable , push the button and the starter should turn over

buying the stuiff from radioshack should only cost u maybe 7 bucks
I am getting the idea the idea the wire really doesnt have to be really thick. I thought jumper cables were needed as your running a lot of power through them. about what gauge are we talking?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

it dosent have to be very thick. think of it as turning on a relay

basically a relay takes 12volts and only 1 amp to turn on starter soilinoid is the same thing its basically a really big relay for the starter

alls u need is about the same thickness wire u would need for wiring up say a pair of foglights, the wire that runs from the switch to the relay
Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 PM

it dosent have to be very thick. think of it as turning on a relay

basically a relay takes 12volts and only 1 amp to turn on starter soilinoid is the same thing its basically a really big relay for the starter

alls u need is about the same thickness wire u would need for wiring up say a pair of foglights, the wire that runs from the switch to the relay
oh i was thinking of it more like i was bypassing the solenoid altogether and applying power directly to the motor, and that why you have to be careful with the using a screwdriver as the amps could kill you.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

the
onlyway to bypass the osilinoid would be to use a jumper cable ir a big screw driver

to bypoass the soiliniod go from the big battery lug on the soiliniod to the metal stud sticking out of the starter as seen in this picture

u can also go directly from the battery positive to the stud on the starter as well, but if using anykind of wire deffintaly use jumpercables or very heavy duty wire something like 6-8 gauge wiring that u would use to wire up a high powered subwoffer amplifier

the stud the guys fingers are on is were the battery cable conects the big stud directly below it is the one u want to apply power to

chances are its not the soiliniod thats bad the brushes in the starter are prolly shot, before u try jumping anything hti the key and see if u hear a click, if u do crawl under the car with a hammer and smack the starter near the back of it a few times.it should knock the brushes around so they make contact again, it dosent always work u have a 50/50 shot of it allowing the starter to work again though
Attached Thumbnails URGENT! help jumping starter solenoid!-148_0312_hot_09_z.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM

thank you thats what i was looking for. the stud you connect to usually has a purple wire coming from it correct? i just want to have everything correct so a can get this right the first time and i have no visuals to go by. I have a feeling the solenoid is bad in this guys car and i want to just bypass is completely to hear it run. I know nothing about the car and will find out tomorrow
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Car: 91 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:73

if you have a tpi there should be a purple wire running along the intake in the conduit. years ago i skinned a portion of my insulation, just enough to expose the copper. clamped on a clip on the positive terminal your starter should already be grounded. with or with out your ignition key forward you should be able to energize the starter directly from under the hood. this is not the most direct way to jumper the starter but it will by pass a large amount of resistance.

use caution and work at your own risk!

does anyone see anything wrong with this method? the ive jumpered my car about 100 times with this method and eventually changed the starter. i was so broke 8 years ago, lol.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

to bypoass the soiliniod go from the big battery lug on the soiliniod to the metal stud sticking out of the starter
Originally Posted by Savage388
thats what i was looking for.
I have a feeling the solenoid is bad in this guys car and i want to just bypass is completely to hear it run.
Bypasses the starter fine but all it does is make starter spin.
Solenoid does 2 jobs ; supplies power to the starter and connects pinion gear to the flywheel
Starter will not crank the engine over unless the solenoid ( which you bypassed ) throws the pinion gear out to engage the flywheel
which is why you were told to wire to the small stud on the solenoid

Last edited by vetteoz; 05-18-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Gta trans am project 1-1/2
Engine: 86 4 bolt main cammed sbc 355 hsr
Transmission: 89 wc bw t5
Axle/Gears: Bw 9 bolt (3.27) pbr 11in

Another way u can do it is hook a wire to 12 volts in the fuse box run the wire to the purple wire on the nuetral switch either on the shifter if auto or on the clutch pedal if standard this is also a way u could test the starter/solenoid
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Bypasses the starter fine but all it does is make starter spin.
Solenoid does 2 jobs ; supplies power to the starter and connects pinion gear to the flywheel
Starter will not crank the engine over unless the solenoid ( which you bypassed ) throws the pinion gear out to engage the flywheel
which is why you were told to wire to the small stud on the solenoid
So the small stud is the one to the right in the picture with the piece of metal on it? Buy of the solenoid is bad what's applying power to it gonna do?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Yes, applying power to the motor itself will only cause the motor to spin. The solenoid has to activate in order for the starter drive to engage the flywheel.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by Savage388
? Buy of the solenoid is bad what's applying power to it gonna do?
Nothing
If the solenoid is bad there is no way of bypassing it to start the engine
Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 PM

update. the car just seems to good to be true. banged on the starter until it cranked slowly but never fired up. super disappointing the car is nice but i think its blown up. the engine light stayed on was on when i turned the key.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Maybe the battery is dead. If the engine cranks, I would atleast try charging the battery before I gave up on the car. Talk the seller down in price to make up for the time you spend. Why do you think it's blown up? How does the oil look? Is there coolant in the reservoir? What does it look like? This may be a fine car with a few minor repair needs.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

The check engine light will stay on until the engine speed gets high enough to turn it off...

Keep in mind that this is a 91... It may not start by jumping the solenoid if there is an issue with the anti-theft system (which disables the fuel injection as well as the starter). Charge the battery first and make sure the connections at the battery and starter are tight, but there aren't any guarantees it will fire up if there is a VATS issue.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
The check engine light will stay on until the engine speed gets high enough to turn it off...

Keep in mind that this is a 91... It may not start by jumping the solenoid if there is an issue with the anti-theft system (which disables the fuel injection as well as the starter). Charge the battery first and make sure the connections at the battery and starter are tight, but there aren't any guarantees it will fire up if there is a VATS issue.
its not a vats issue for sure, i checked the security light first thing. i never had to jump the solenoid that wasnt bad it was the starter motor itself.

Originally Posted by ASE doc
Maybe the battery is dead. If the engine cranks, I would atleast try charging the battery before I gave up on the car. Talk the seller down in price to make up for the time you spend. Why do you think it's blown up? How does the oil look? Is there coolant in the reservoir? What does it look like? This may be a fine car with a few minor repair needs.
the battery was dead but he jumped it for a half hour at least of of another car and it barely cranked. ive tried talking him down but hes pretty firm on the price. he knows nothing about the car and that makes me think he neglected maintenance, and the heavy buildup of oil in the head gasket area. I mean who would get rid of a car with a brand new cat back, hood interior, and a complete weatherstripping kit because it needs a 40 dollar starter. i honestly think that he wanted to make the car nice but something happened and he wants to cut his losses without losing money.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT! help jumping starter solenoid!-100_0532.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

That's normal oil build up there, valve cover gaskets seep some as they age.

Slow cranking might just be a starter going belly up. Easy test would be doing a 'draw test' while cranking. If the engine turns relatively easy by hand, but, the starter won't turn it...... might be worth while to throw a starter on it, and then see what happens.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM

well i know it needs a starter for a fact. however the issue is whether it runs and theres not really a way to put a starter on it, because its not mine and the seller doesnt really want to for some reason, i even offered more money if he did so.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

how much is he asking for the car ?
if its in really nice shape and worth what hes asking for id prolly just buy it.if it turns out it needs a motor id prolyl goto the junkyard and swap in a jy shortblock for the time being

would he be willing to let u pull out all 8 plugs and turn the motor over by hand ?
or even drian the oil and look for metalic flakes int he oil to se eif it chewed upa bearing

also if he tried to jump start it and the cables are crap it would make the motor turn over really slow.

do u or a friend have a jumpbox that u could take back to the car to try to use
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM

how much is he asking for the car ?
if its in really nice shape and worth what hes asking for id prolly just buy it.if it turns out it needs a motor id prolyl goto the junkyard and swap in a jy shortblock for the time being

would he be willing to let u pull out all 8 plugs and turn the motor over by hand ?
or even drian the oil and look for metalic flakes int he oil to se eif it chewed upa bearing

also if he tried to jump start it and the cables are crap it would make the motor turn over really slow.

do u or a friend have a jumpbox that u could take back to the car to try to use
he wants 2k and the car is nice but not perfect by any means. i wouldnt mind going back but money is super tight and it cost me $50 in gas to get there the first time(damn chryslers). i doubt hed let me drain the oil or turn it by
hand especially because plugs arent super quick to get on or out. im just going to wait a few weeks until the price gets way low, he gets in fired or i find another one.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 AM

Hey guys i have a 91 camaro 5.0 tbi. My issue is that i just put a motor in it due to a cracked block. When i pluged all electric connections and got her ready to start it. She would not cranck, i checked vats.. starter relay.. fuses..i only have 4.8 volts on purple cable goin to the starter. It only crancks if i jump the starter. I so need help. Thank you
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 AM

Hey guys i have a 91 camaro 5.0 tbi. My issue is that i just put a motor in it due to a cracked block. When i pluged all electric connections and got her ready to start it. She would not cranck, i checked vats.. starter relay.. fuses..i only have 4.8 volts on purple cable goin to the starter. It only crancks if i jump the starter. I so need help. Thank you
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Good day all. Well this was a very good incite into one of my problems with 91 Z28/L98 TPI street strip car, battery is charge but now when i went to start it the other day it seems the alternator just clicks and that's it, no cranking its is fairly new. So i was thinking it maybe the starter. My money pit
Thank eveyone good info from all