Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

Old SS "Something Old, Something New" Article

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1979 Corvette L82
Engine: Gen1 SBC 350 L82 4 bolt mains 010
Transmission: Monster 4L60e 2wd 1997 PWM capable
Axle/Gears: 355
Old SS "Something Old, Something New" Article

Any chance anyone has a saved link or PDF copy of Part V of the "Something Old, Something New" TPI 355 build from Super Chevy back in 2006?

I've found Part 1, the "Stall Tactic" article, "Part 2" (advertising trash) and some kinda unbelievable dyno numbers in part 4, but they claimed that they were going to send everything off to Swain to get coatings applied and do a final dyno test in Part V and I just can't find it online...

Something Old, Something New TPI 355 from Super Chevy (5 Part Article Series): 420 HP, 490 ft lbs

SBC 355, Vortec Heads, Scroggin-Dickie TPI Vortec base, Accel Runners, stock plenum 6" rod, Accel DFI Gen 7 ECM, Accel Dual Sync Distributor with Sequential injection, Comp custom roller cam, probe pistons -metric ring grooves; Comp Roller 210/220 deg @ 0.050", 114 LSA, 110 installed; 1 3/4" headers, 2.5" flowmaster dual exhaust

Part 1: https://thirdgenfbody.wordpress.com/...-october-2005/

Part Stall Tactic: Worthless: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/060...something-new/

Part 2: Advertising trash: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-machine-work/

Part 4: Finally on the Dyno 416HP, 486 Ft LBS http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/061...i-small-block/

Adam
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Old SS "Something Old, Something New" Article

Worth mentioning it wasn't a Soooper Chevy article, it was GMHTP. Go thru a stack of Super Shove-it magazines you'll never find it.

It gets confusing because in the rush to populate the internet with buzzing busy websites selling advertising clicks, the car rags dumped a ton of old articles online with little concern which title contained an article originally.

Last edited by Drew; 05-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Drew

Worth mentioning it wasn't a Soooper Chevy article, it was GMHTP. Go thru a stack of Super Shove-it magazines you'll never find it.

It gets confusing because in the rush to populate the internet with buzzing busy websites selling advertising clicks, the car rags dumped a ton of old articles online with little concern which title contained an article originally.

Yea thanks for that. They did a TERRIBLE job digitizing articles and series. Even the title completely changes from issue to issue so search engine searches are almost hopeless...

Adam
Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM

Someone digitized Part III here: https://imgur.com/a/FgCPh#0

Still haven't found Part V, though. I'm just never sure with these article series if they even released the final article. This would NOT be the first article series featuring long runner intakes that didn't actually get completed...

https://imgur.com/a/FgCPh#0

Adam
Old 05-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I have a lot of the old GMHTP magazines, I could look for it, but I would need a reminder, my CRS is really bad
Old 05-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Imagine back in the day, no subscription, trying to track down the rest of the series, and they'd skip months, and the store might drop that title or it might sell out before you see it... Had several subscriptions to magazines that you were lucky to see one decent article per issue. Seem to remember GMHTP was 6 issues a year at one point? Super Chevy had a compelling title but from 95-99 it was mostly 'our sponsors gave us a few grand worth of parts to show you, we've got this 69 Nova with every custom billet part we could come up with, and it's painted like a pastel easter-egg nightmare, with all the factory chrome painted body color because who has time to refinish or polish all that chrome'. Those back issues haven't been out of boxes in YEARS. Flipped over to Chevy High Performance, then GM HTP, think even Pontiac High Performance was in my list of subscriptions for a time. I don't miss those days. The internet took over, and was... better? But then you have the finicky nature of PEOPLE and the internet, you start reading something and it gets nuked half way through, or life happens and the guy behind the project moves on to something else, websites go down or go out or shut off their free services (Tripod, Homestead, Angelfire, Photobucket, Cardomain)... **** sucks to be a car guy sometimes.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Almost forgot, I'm still looking for the rest of a series Muscle Car review did in 1988 on a new TPI Formula. Buddy of mine's dad HAD a subscription, and he gave me a stack of magazines with two or three parts of the series. Haven't had any luck in finding the other parts. Really dated now anyway, but I get a kick out of the period tech...
Old 05-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by Drew;6299604[b
]Imagine back in the day, no subscription, trying to track down the rest of the series, and they'd skip months, and the store might drop that title or it might sell out before you see it[/b]... Had several subscriptions to magazines that you were lucky to see one decent article per issue. Seem to remember GMHTP was 6 issues a year at one point? Super Chevy had a compelling title but from 95-99 it was mostly 'our sponsors gave us a few grand worth of parts to show you, we've got this 69 Nova with every custom billet part we could come up with, and it's painted like a pastel easter-egg nightmare, with all the factory chrome painted body color because who has time to refinish or polish all that chrome'. Those back issues haven't been out of boxes in YEARS. Flipped over to Chevy High Performance, then GM HTP, think even Pontiac High Performance was in my list of subscriptions for a time. I don't miss those days. The internet took over, and was... better? But then you have the finicky nature of PEOPLE and the internet, you start reading something and it gets nuked half way through, or life happens and the guy behind the project moves on to something else, websites go down or go out or shut off their free services (Tripod, Homestead, Angelfire, Photobucket, Cardomain)... **** sucks to be a car guy sometimes.
Barbaric times we used to live in. GMHTP was a great mag until Rick whats his last name took over and turned it into GMLS only publication.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by Drew
Imagine back in the day, no subscription, trying to track down the rest of the series, and they'd skip months, and the store might drop that title or it might sell out before you see it... Had several subscriptions to magazines that you were lucky to see one decent article per issue. Seem to remember GMHTP was 6 issues a year at one point? Super Chevy had a compelling title but from 95-99 it was mostly 'our sponsors gave us a few grand worth of parts to show you, we've got this 69 Nova with every custom billet part we could come up with, and it's painted like a pastel easter-egg nightmare, with all the factory chrome painted body color because who has time to refinish or polish all that chrome'. Those back issues haven't been out of boxes in YEARS. Flipped over to Chevy High Performance, then GM HTP, think even Pontiac High Performance was in my list of subscriptions for a time. I don't miss those days. The internet took over, and was... better? But then you have the finicky nature of PEOPLE and the internet, you start reading something and it gets nuked half way through, or life happens and the guy behind the project moves on to something else, websites go down or go out or shut off their free services (Tripod, Homestead, Angelfire, Photobucket, Cardomain)... **** sucks to be a car guy sometimes.
Barbaric times we used to live in. GMHTP was a great mag until Rick whats his last name took over and turned it into GMLS only publication.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I kept a bunch of my old magazines from like mid to late 90's up until about 10 years ago... was going thru them when packing up to move and thought "i don't need these any more, all this stuff is on the interweb now" ...