Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

Fitech efi swap on 91 camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Fitech efi swap on 91 camaro.

Recently bought a 91 Camaro. It was swapped from the original 305 to a 350. The kid I bought it from put the throttle body from the 305 on instead of swapping it over entirely to the tune port set up. So I was thinking about swapping it to the tune port injection when I ran across this

https://fitechefi.com/product/ultra-ram-sbc-efi/

My question is has it been done before to swap a newer style self learning set up on an older fuel injected vehicle? I mean I would imagine it would be pretty easy. But I was just curious if it has been done and what all I need to get it to work. Tried looking for a thread about it already but couldn't seem to find anything. Any help/suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: L31 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73
Re: Fitech efi swap on 91 camaro.

It's funny - your story basically matches mine. Bought a '91 that had been (poorly) swapped to a 350, gutted it and switched to a FiTech product (the Go Street 400 system) instead of spending twice as much to fix the hacked up TPI setup.

Can't offer much help regarding the Ultra Ram, but the Go Street was easy enough to install and tune. Wiring was pretty minimal, although I spent a lot of time on it because I wanted to do things "right" and keep my harness as clean as possible. Broke all the looms apart, removed a bunch of wiring that was no longer needed, and repinned a few things. Basic tuning is pretty straightforward (started on the second attempt, took about 10 minutes to get an initial tune in place) although I tore the car apart again before I could really dig into the tuning side of things.

You might need to look at a better fuel pump depending on your engine. IIRC the stock pump is juuuuust at the minimum required for the Go Street (again not sure what the requirements are for the Ultra Ram). Also have to worry about fuel lines (I made my own braided lines to run from the hard lines on the body) and finding a spot for the O2 sensor (I'm using Hooker 2055s with an existing bung).

When I last talked to FiTech support about two years ago they were less than helpful. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on forums if you run into issues (although maybe their support has gotten better since then). From what I've seen about 80% of problems stem from bad grounds or improper wiring so you'll want to be comfortable diagnosing that sort of thing.

Feel free to shoot me a DM if you have more questions - again I don't really know the Ultra Ram but maybe I can still help with general questions. Looks like a pretty sweet setup!
Old 08-15-2020, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5

Bovine I tried messaging you but it says I don't have permission. Anyway I do have a question about the 02 sensor. Did you decide to use a new bung or is it not possible to use the stock location?
Old 08-16-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: L31 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73

Weird, not sure why you couldn't send a message (maybe because your account is still new?).

I believe it's possible to use the stock location on the factory exhaust, but since my factory exhaust was pretty badly mangled I didn't bother checking. The O2 sensor is a standard type. If your exhaust has an existing bung it should work. I have Hooker 2055s with a bung located in the collector and they work fine.

FiTech also included a curved plate with a bung attached - the idea being that you could cut a hole in your existing exhaust and either weld or clamp that plate over the hole. I'm guessing that's for applications which were never equipped with an O2 sensor. a