Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.
View Poll Results: September COTM
motobooks
13.84%
ev305tpi
5.66%
Scottmoyer
11.32%
Chazman
18.24%
Drjewalton
9.43%
1985blacktransam
1.89%
PUMA1552
1.89%
Russelcronk
6.92%
Joel
11.95%
Tkerniroc
18.87%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

September COTM **Voting**

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: September COTM **Voting**

Originally Posted by carattini
How do I get people to vote for mine?
On this one, you can't buddy.

There was a previous thread where the cars were nominated.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by drjewalton

It's too bad we all aren't within closer proximity...we could put on one hell of a display at a car show/cruise!

Now, that would be something.....
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI L98 350
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt Posi Disc 3.73s

Your car has to be nominated for the theme of car of the month by another member on thirdgen.org. Then if it passes nominations, it goes to voting.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Hey! where are the people that should be voting for my car? I do not see them!!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Hey! where are the people that should be voting for my car? I do not see them!!!!

Looks like they're voting for Tkern, Scott.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by chazman
Looks like they're voting for Tkern, Scott.
LOL, this is a close race.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM

Maybe for some, but not for all. It's all good though. I look at these competitions similarly to "good" car shows. I do not like winning a trophy at a show because the sponsors created so many classes that everybody wins their class. I like the shows that are people's choice or have fewer classifications. That allows for more competition. If I win a show with 15 others in my class, that's more satisfying than winning a class of 2 cars. What I see here with this voting is "People's Choice". And the people are speaking!

There are some very nice cars here and I'd love to go head to head at a national show with these cars any day.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Maybe for some, but not for all. It's all good though. I look at these competitions similarly to "good" car shows. I do not like winning a trophy at a show because the sponsors created so many classes that everybody wins their class. I like the shows that are people's choice or have fewer classifications. That allows for more competition. If I win a show with 15 others in my class, that's more satisfying than winning a class of 2 cars. What I see here with this voting is "People's Choice". And the people are speaking!

There are some very nice cars here and I'd love to go head to head at a national show with these cars any day.
To be honest, I'd rather be judged by knowledgeable, impartial judges, who really know their stuff, rather than people's choice.

I've been to so many shows which are "people's choice" and you can literally hear folks making their deals in the open. "I'll vote for you, if you vote for me." Or, "Bob says he'd buy me a drink if he wins, so I'll vote for him". That sort of thing. I see it all of the time.

With that said, this month's COTM, contains some of the nicest 3rd gens in the country. Certainly as good as any.

Like I said earlier, if there were ever to be a 3rd gen in a Concour D'Elegance - and one day there certainly will be - I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be one of the 10 cars here.

Last edited by chazman; 08-28-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM

To be honest, I'd rather be judged by knowledgeable, impartial judges, who really know their stuff, rather than people's choice.

I've been to so many shows which are "people's choice" and you can literally hear folks making their deals in the open. "I'll vote for you, if you vote for me." Or, "Bob says he'd buy me a drink if he wins, so I'll vote for him". That sort of thing. I see it all of the time.

With that said, this month's COTM, contains some of the nicest 3rd gens in the country. Certainly as good as any.

Like I said earlier, if there were ever to be a 3rd gen in a Concour D'Elegance - and one day there certainly will be - I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be one of the 10 cars here.
I agree about the show thing. That happens at every show I've ever been to. Only got a second place win in 2 years, but the compliments alone are enough to keep me going back and showing off her beauty. It has always bugged me that the third gen has always had a bad rep in the car collecting community. People always just seem to glance at it and walk away, but its the true car enthusiast to appreciate how much work it really takes to make a car beautiful. Third gen or not. All of the cars here are amazing, and it has been a pleasure chatting with you guys and I hope one day we can all meet up and show off the true beauty that is the third gen Camaro and Firebird!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 92 & 91 Z28 1LEs, 87 IROC-Z, 90 ZR1
Engine: L98, LT5
Transmission: 700R4, 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.42, 3.73, 3.27

I agree The vette crew has NCCC judging, it's as good as any judged show I have been to, would be cool to get that level of judging at a Camaro / firebird show.

I go to Carlisle for the vette show most every year, though I have been to the GM nationals once and was disappointed in the turnout. However, it might be a great place for us all to take our cars and promote it a bit to get the attendance up. The vette show last weekend was fully packed both Friday and Sat.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ev305tpi
I agree The vette crew has NCCC judging, it's as good as any judged show I have been to, would be cool to get that level of judging at a Camaro / firebird show.

I go to Carlisle for the vette show most every year, though I have been to the GM nationals once and was disappointed in the turnout. However, it might be a great place for us all to take our cars and promote it a bit to get the attendance up. The vette show last weekend was fully packed both Friday and Sat.
I was at GM nationals this year in Carlisle, good turn out for 5th gens...3rd gens there were a total of maybe 15-20 cars, 8 of which were in the stock class with me. Wish there would have been more, but I go there every year cuz it's 30 mins from my house. This year they did the participant judging and it was like the niche groups voting for each other instead of actual judges like years past. I hope they don't do that next year...wasn't what I thought they were doing. Oh well, it was a fun weekend anyway. A few of the pics I posted were from Carlisle like the one of my car beside my dads 69 Z/28 RS.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ev305tpi

No doubt, the Corvette guys have their stuff together. We need, like a Bloomington Gold for F-cars. You know what? Scratch that. We need a Bloomington Gold for 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds. That way we won't have to deal with the hordes of tastelessly modified 5th gens which always show up.

Last edited by chazman; 08-28-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are all beautiful. This is my favorite though, the blue 84 Z28 with it's original paint job.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

Don't ask people to vote for you. Let the pictures speak for you.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by khulsebus
Don't ask people to vote for you. Let the pictures speak for you.
He isn't in the COTM voting. He posted pictures of his car in this thread and Brandon deleted them. He wanted to know how he gets his car voted for, which we already told him.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will not let me vote but mines in for chazman
Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by taso
it will not let me vote but mines in for chazman
That's because you haven't hit your 30 day membership mark yet.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: LO3 305 tbi
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3gen housing zexel torsen posi 3.42

voted on the beautiful TTA
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FireTurdWS626
voted on the beautiful TTA
Luis' TTA gets nicer by the day!

Last edited by chazman; 08-31-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

drjewalton - You've got my vote!! Of course, I'm a bit biased I'll admit!!

Beautiful car, especially considering how much older it is than some of the other nominees....which are also awesome BTW.

Do me a favor though...ditch the "305 190 HP" decal on the air cleaner...it just doesn't belong on the car at all...

If mine were in that good of shape when I got it, it would remain factory original like yours! Again, nice ride buddy!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:56 PM

I do have one question about the integrity of the voting here. How is it possible that we have a 1986 and a 1987 blue IROC-Z, one with 5k miles and looks absolutely mint and the other has 50k miles, non original battery, cracked outer window felts, steering wheel cover, no hood insulation, discolored interior fabrics, etc and the higher mileage car gets 3x the votes of the 5x mile car? I thought this months voting was supposed to be to represent the best STOCK restored or original survivor cars. I just thought that there were other cars in this category that deserve the top prize for being the best. Who did the voting here? Clearly chazman, ev305tpi, or djewalton represent the STOCK original or restored much better.

No offense to tkerniroc. He has a nice car, but again, if the vote is for a blue IROC-Z, why would his beat out the 5k mile original?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM

I do have one question about the integrity of the voting here. How is it possible that we have a 1986 and a 1987 blue IROC-Z, one with 5k miles and looks absolutely mint and the other has 50k miles, non original battery, cracked outer window felts, steering wheel cover, no hood insulation, discolored interior fabrics, etc and the higher mileage car gets 3x the votes of the 5x mile car? I thought this months voting was supposed to be to represent the best STOCK restored or original survivor cars. I just thought that there were other cars in this category that deserve the top prize for being the best. Who did the voting here? Clearly chazman, ev305tpi, or djewalton represent the STOCK original or restored much better.

No offense to tkerniroc. He has a nice car, but again, if the vote is for a blue IROC-Z, why would his beat out the 5k mile original?
Wow...thanks...I was shocked I won too, but it's clearly people's opinion on who they vote for. I know my car isn't "perfect" but it's a barn find, and clearly not in "perfect" shape. It's come a long way from what it was and I restored it to my liking as much as I can a little at a time. I have 3 kids that take up most of my time and extra money, and yeah thanks for pointing out the little things that make my car look a little less perfect than yours. The interior of the car is mostly original, and I don't want to change it for that reason. The only thing that isn't original in there is the headliner. I don't mind my faded plastics, or cracked window felts at this point. It's things that I can fix later on. My car is a restored car with a little more progress to go. It's not a 5k trailer queen, but it's people's opinion on who they vote for. I'm not trying to come off as an ahole, but we all know how many of the third gens have been beaten to death, and this one, I saved. Maybe not to your liking, but apparently other people do like it.

Last edited by TkernIROC1986; 09-02-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1979 Malibu
Engine: Blown LSx
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: 9"/wavetrac/35's/3.70

Originally Posted by TkernIROC1986
Wow...thanks...I was shocked I won too, but it's clearly people's opinion on who they vote for. I know my car isn't "perfect" but it's a barn find, and clearly not in "perfect" shape. It's come a long way from what it was and I restored it to my liking as much as I can a little at a time. I have 3 kids that take up most of my time and extra money, and yeah thanks for pointing out the little things that make my car look a little less perfect than yours. The interior of the car is mostly original, and I don't want to change it for that reason. The only thing that isn't original in there is the headliner. I don't mind my faded plastics, or cracked window felts at this point. It's things that I can fix later on. My car is a restored car with a little more progress to go. It's not a 5k trailer queen, but it's people's opinion on who they vote for. I'm not trying to come off as an ahole, but we all know how many of the third gens have been beaten to death, and this one, I saved. Maybe not to your liking, but apparently other people do like it.
Maybe has something to do with the fact that you didnt just go out and buy a pristine low miler. You have put time and effort into returning it as close to showroom condition as your time/budget will allow. Thats why you got my vote.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Again, I'm not trying to dog your car. It was just a question regarding stock/restored original with two very similar cars. Please don't think my thoughts are because I didn't win. I am no where close to winning this, so if you were even remotely considered to be disqualified for any reason, it wouldn't benefit me at all. The fact that my car falls number 5 of 10 means that I have an average car. That's fine. It was just a question of what people used as a criteria when voting that gave you so many votes in comparison to some of the other cars that are near mint for this months guidelines.

Congratulations for winning. You do have a nice car. I don't know the previous condition so I don't know how far it may have come for what is seen now. That was why the question came up. Take this question and think of it as an innocent request, not an angry question of why. I am just wondering what people used to vote for your car in comparison to the others.

Trying to keep a car in nice condition is hard. I've had my car almost 14 years and have had to repair/replace many items. Trying to keep it looking all original is not an easy task, so buying a low miler isn't always the best way to go either. Many of the same parts need to be replaced on a low mile car as the high mile cars. I've probably replaced parts on my car that people with 3x the miles still haven't had to replace.

I reread my earlier post and it can easily be read that I was complaining. That was not the intent. It was all light-hearted. No malice or ill content. I apologize if it came out that way.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1986Z28OWNER
Maybe has something to do with the fact that you didnt just go out and buy a pristine low miler. You have put time and effort into returning it as close to showroom condition as your time/budget will allow. Thats why you got my vote.

Well......don't underestimate the work and effort involved with keeping a car mint and factory fresh for a quarter of a century.

Just sayin'
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1956 Chevrolet 210
Engine: Chevy 305 V8
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.42

"Do me a favor though...ditch the "305 190 HP" decal on the air cleaner...it just doesn't belong on the car at all..."

Confuzed1-
Already done...I agree with your statement. Thanks for the compliments!

Congrats to the winner! I'm very appreciative to be nominated for the COTM. It's always great to see and compete with very nice camaros and firebirds.

Would be even better to have a central place we could all road trip to to compare and admire each others cars in person!

Last edited by drjewalton; 09-02-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by drjewalton
"Do me a favor though...ditch the "305 190 HP" decal on the air cleaner...it just doesn't belong on the car at all..."

Already done...I agree with your statement.
Now....your car is perfect!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 AM

I understand, and yeah it sound a little different in my head. Chazman and I were neck in neck the whole time during voting. His car is absolutely amazing! I know my car isn't nearly as perfect has his DX3 stripe delete, but I know I have poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into my car. The first half of this year I couldn't even drive it because I had to disassemble the engine all the way down to the intake to fix a coolant leak, finally got that fixed, and I had a vacuum leak, got that fixed and then the alternator took a crap along with the battery. This car is a blast to drive and I enjoy all the compliments I get from the people who appreciate how much work it takes to either keep a car pristine or restore or a car to its former glory. Thankfully I had a low miles car to work with. Thanks to those who nominated me, and those of you that voted for me. It is greatly appreciated, and I'm glad you like what I'm doing with the car.