Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Replace all things brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans am
Engine: carberated L83
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342
Replace all things brakes?

So, my father posted this, https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...-trans-am.html recently, so refer to that for the story behind it. I'll be making another account so we don't have to share this one for long.

Sorry for posting this as it's probably been answered before, but I've been searching(with the search function) for the past 30+ mins. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or..

Well, anyway, it runs and drives but has virtually no braking. So I think it would be best to replace everything? Pads, rotors, calipers in the front and shoes, wheel cylinders and brake drums in the rear. And a new master cylinder and new lines.

My real question is, for a daily driver is all autozone stuff high enough quality? Duralast gold ceramic pads and just duralast everything else. It's easier, they carry it all and they're less than 5 mins away, but I want to get good enough stuff while spending the least I can.(And getting it here pretty quick. It's kinda difficult for me to order) Everything in the cart, it's going to be $240 without the lines.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:53 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Replace all things brakes?

you will probably be fine. I've installed several sets of the reman calipers and hoses with no issues.

some will recommend a name brand rotor, but I've had no problems with the AZ rotors that I've installed, although I've used wagner and bendix in the past. check with the guys at AZ, at one time I was told the more expensive rotor was the same piece, the warranty period was the only difference. include new bearings and a good alignment and you'll stress the rotor less.

MCs can be hit or miss. When bench bleeding it look for evidence of brake fluid seeping out the rear, I've had one do that to me (but that's out of maybe half a dozen that I've installed-and it probably didn't come from AZ).

All in all, the white box parts are probably of the same general quality everywhere, and the part in the box today could be different from the part that was in the box last year.

stage your purchases wisely and you can take advantage of the $20 reward, maybe twice.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by naf
you will probably be fine. I've installed several sets of the reman calipers and hoses with no issues.

some will recommend a name brand rotor, but I've had no problems with the AZ rotors that I've installed, although I've used wagner and bendix in the past. check with the guys at AZ, at one time I was told the more expensive rotor was the same piece, the warranty period was the only difference. include new bearings and a good alignment and you'll stress the rotor less.

MCs can be hit or miss. When bench bleeding it look for evidence of brake fluid seeping out the rear, I've had one do that to me (but that's out of maybe half a dozen that I've installed-and it probably didn't come from AZ).

All in all, the white box parts are probably of the same general quality everywhere, and the part in the box today could be different from the part that was in the box last year.

stage your purchases wisely and you can take advantage of the $20 reward, maybe twice.
Thanks!!!

So here's my list, it should work?

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...52559_0_19661/ (1)

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...0_205733_4825/ (2)

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t..._793929_29534/ (1)

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...3_977303_2362/ (1)

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...5_977303_5913/ (1)

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...834_3559_3547/ (2)

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...915_2558_4119/ (1)

Sorry for all the trouble.. I want to be sure, especially on brakes.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

you need to add the flexible lines for the front calipers and the bearing sets for each front rotor.

I wouldn't replace the MC unless it is failing.

you can 'pre fill' the calipers before install to save some time bleeding. DO NOT let the MC run dry.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by naf
you need to add the flexible lines for the front calipers and the bearing sets for each front rotor.

I wouldn't replace the MC unless it is failing.

you can 'pre fill' the calipers before install to save some time bleeding. DO NOT let the MC run dry.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what lines but I'll figure it out.

The reservoir is almost completely empty and what's in it is black gunk, so I thought it time.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Son and John, Welcome to the site! I went through this back in April. I wanted to freshen up and replace everything you mentioned on a 85 TA. I just ordered things from Rock Auto, Advance Auto and the Tire Rack. I spent around $1200, BUT the car sat before me for quite a few years. Everything on it worked, but after 30 years it was time.

"The reservoir is almost completely empty and what's in it is black gunk" On this statement, since it's almost dry, I personally would take it off, which is easy enough and bench bleed it. It will save you in the long run. When you go to bleed the system, you'll have clean fluid everywhere. Just keep bleeding till you get nice fresh fluid from the caliper.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Son and John, Welcome to the site! I went through this back in April. I wanted to freshen up and replace everything you mentioned on a 85 TA. I just ordered things from Rock Auto, Advance Auto and the Tire Rack. I spent around $1200, BUT the car sat before me for quite a few years. Everything on it worked, but after 30 years it was time.

"The reservoir is almost completely empty and what's in it is black gunk" On this statement, since it's almost dry, I personally would take it off, which is easy enough and bench bleed it. It will save you in the long run. When you go to bleed the system, you'll have clean fluid everywhere. Just keep bleeding till you get nice fresh fluid from the caliper.

Good luck!
Thanks!!!!

Yeah, it needs a lot. But over the next 2 years or so we should be able to get it. New wheels, tires, exhaust,(This one's rusted pretty bad and coming off. When I first saw the car, I thought it was single exhaust because the other side was rusted off!) headers if I'm already getting an exhaust, a new interior, and so much more..

Although our neighbor owns a body shop, and knows people. Already got me two front tires with actually pretty good tread for free so I could move it. He can get me a new windshield for $130, installed. And he said he'll get me a great deal on really nice tires when it's time. Not to mention he'll give me a close to free paint job(I'd pay him enough though), and he'll pull the dents!

I'm not going to lie, I don't know what you mean about "bleeding" it, but my father will and that's what this is about. I'm learning.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Cool. Bench bleed the Master Cylinder and then once installed back on the car, bleed the entire brake system of air.

Use the search button above and look around. You'll find topics and threads containing info on how to do darn near anything.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Three major chain auto parts stores are close to me and one is Napa Auto Parts = https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...brake-job.html

AutoZone can give you a list showing who "actually" makes the parts they sell.
Heres part of one page
=

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 12-15-2015 at 11:39 PM.