Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

A [hopefully] simple brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 H.O.
Engine: L69 305 Cubic Inch
Transmission: T5 5-Speed Manual
A [hopefully] simple brake question

I have a 1984 L69 Z28. It is a factory four wheel disc brakes car, almost entirely stock. The one mod the previous owner did, aside from the aftermarket stereo, is sometime in the late 80's, early 90's he changed the front brakes out to four piston calipers of some type I am unfamiliar with. They are held together with cotter pins and braided metal wire, and have been ground down on one side apparently to fit the stock Z28 wheels back on over them. I am hesitant to even disassemble these without having some sort of replacement on hand in case I cannot find new pads for whatever type of brakes these are.

My question is this, and where the hopefully part comes in, is there any sort of stock Camaro/Firebird/Corvette calipers, rotors and pads that are direct bolt on for these cars that will still fit inside the stock wheels? I'm not trying to do anything fancy here, just have a cruiser for nice days and car meets with reliable stopping power. OEM calipers for these cars were single piston, right? I'm down for putting something a little better on than that, but trying to avoid extreme expense here. If there is something along these lines that is a known direct fit bolt on that I can go to a local parts store and acquire, that would be ideal. Any information, suggestions, recommendations, are welcomed and appreciated.

(Edit: I found out they are racing brakes from a local shop, and I may be able to acquire pads for them there. I am still interested in knowing what brakes are direct fit for these cars anyway, so I can make a note of it if I ever have to change these or cannot locate pads for them)

Last edited by LoneCynic; 06-03-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Found an answer
Old 06-04-2020, 09:46 PM

Re: A [hopefully] simple brake question

The brakes are JFZ four piston calipers, and seems like a decent aftermarket upgrade. I am having trouble finding brake pads for them. Is anyone familiar with these and can suggest where to find pads for them?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

You could probably get a stock set-up on the classifieds here or craigslist for next to nothing almost or upgrade for slightly more.Plenty of forum members selling their old brake set-ups, try going that route if you want ease of replacement parts.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

This is why I always advise against that sort of thing. Not that those "specialty" aftermarket setups are "bad", "not as good as stock", or ANYTHING ELSE of the kind; only, that replacement parts can be a real witch with a capital B to locate when you need them in a hurry.

Consider the LS1 upgrade. Works great, doesn't cost alot, parts are in stock at EVERY corner parts store, because there's so many of em on the road.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:34 AM

Luckily, after much research, I found that Hawk brake pads makes the pads that fit these calipers. I had to special order them, but they came and I got them installed on the car this evening. Just have to do the rears (which are stock brakes) and have her back to full stopping power. I may order another set or two of these brake pads while the part number is still handy (and they are still being made!) and just keep them with the car, so in another ten years or so when the car needs pads again, I'll just have them on hand.

I agree Sofakingdom, not an ideal situation to be in, discontinued manufacturer of an aftermarket brake system, and a royal pain to track down the pads for them. At least I was able to swap pads for this go around.