Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

laugh at me :p

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
laugh at me :p

lol, ok ok... live and learn. I bough the audiobahn 10" AW1000Q speakers, 600w rms. Maybe its my krappy amp or the over amount of air space but so far they really arnt what I expected them to be. Hmm... got them over the type R's because I was impacient and didnt want to wait for shipping. Well they do look nice lol So what I think I'll do is build a fancy box for them and sell it off on ebay then try to come out with more money then I spent. Kinda disapointing and I should listen to ppl more often lol.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
If your using that legacy amp what do you expect? Did you build the boxes for the subs or was the box already built and you just slapped in the subs and expected the subs to adjust to thier new box?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by napalmdemos
If your using that legacy amp what do you expect? Did you build the boxes for the subs or was the box already built and you just slapped in the subs and expected the subs to adjust to thier new box?

Most subs have a switch in the back so that you can set the air space on them to which box you choose...

lol ok yea thats but I did build the box first then buy the speakers because I was impacient and had the cash in my pocket. They now hit pretty hard untill the legacy amp blows a fuse, so the setup with those subs and the box is working but the amp isnt handling to well at 2 ohms.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
Originally posted by redbird_400
Most subs have a switch in the back so that you can set the air space on them to which box you choose...
thats a first
Old 12-06-2003, 12:18 AM

I've only seen that switch on the higher end Infinity subs.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Supreme Member

LMAO!!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:13 AM

you are an idiot, dont tell me to grow up, you are the one asking stupid questions and ignoring what intelligent people, experienced people are telling you.

adam
Old 12-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Originally posted by onebadwagon
you are an idiot, dont tell me to grow up, you are the one asking stupid questions and ignoring what intelligent people, experienced people are telling you.

adam
Did I miss something?
Old 12-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
Originally posted by FyreLance
Did I miss something?
ya know what? I reread this thread 3 times wondering the same thing!
Old 12-06-2003, 11:30 AM

look at his Locked post at the top of the forum.

adam
Old 12-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, that post was locked, for reasons I believe because the information in it has become something other then the topic on audio.

Aside from that topic that I would like to stay away from, to carry on the point of this thread here is the lastest update on the new Audiobahn speakers. Borrowing the picture from sound domain, option 2 is how I had them wired. The amp that I have does say it is 2 ohm stable but keeps blowing its 15A fuse when I wire the speakers like this. I did try option 1 for the wiring but it blew the fuse at a lower volume level, looking at the .5 ohm at the amp, I guess thats understandable.
Attached Thumbnails laugh at me :p-2_2ohm_dvc.gif  
Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM

the amp says that it is two ohm stable, that is in stereo mode, so wire the subs in series and then hook them to the amp in parrallel, bridged, at 4 ohm mono is the best that P.O.S. amp is ever going to do.

hell, if you have a cheap amp, have some fun with it, i used to have a fultron(still do, it is in pieces) that i used to run at 2 ohm mono all the time, just put a bigger fuse in it, and have fun until it melts. the fuse is protecting the amp from an overload circuit, if you put a bigger fuse in it, it will allow the amp to work harder, this will make more power, but will eventually cost the amp its life.

*WARNING*this statement was made from my personal experience, and actions taken because of this statement are the responsibility of the person doing them, and I have no liability for the results. *WARNING*

adam
Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Here is my next question for the audio techs. In the pic below I have the subs wired to option 2, each sub has its own two +&- wire going to the amp. First I tried to run each sub into its own channel, was kinda quiet, then I bridged the wires and that made the bass louder but still blowing a fuse. The thing that gets me is that in this chart at the end of the wire it says 4ohms, yet at the speaker it says 2. Does this mean that you wire it at the amp to 4 ohms and at the speakers its wired to 4 ohms yet all together it is pulling 2 ohms from the amp?

On the box this is what I had tried yesterday. Since it has a wood top and I can get another wood top at any time if I need, I went ahead and cut two 3" port holes into the top of the box. I did try to install some port tubs which were 3" in diameter and a foot long but that seemed to cheapen the bass, so I removed them. The left sub woofer is set into the downfire position and has its polarity reversed. Keeping the pioneer head unit at volume 10 OMG! it makes a huge difference with one of the sub positioned into downfire with the reversed polarity. The box needed to be ported badly reguardless though, I mean you can lift one of the subs up out of the box about two inches and hear louder more clear bass.

>Next wiring step I'm going to try is to wire the +&+ of one sub to each other, then the -&- to that sub together and lead that wire to the amp, for the other sub I will do the same. At that point I will try to give them seperate channels and if that doesnt sound good I'll bridge it, but I have a feeling the fuse is going to blow. All I'm trying to do here is to get this amp to work with my subs and not to blow a fuse, after I get that taken care of I'm going to do some more work on my box to correct the air space issue. That will be easy because I'm working with fiberglass here, I can simply seperate a space for the subs, but still have to decide on shared space or seperate.

>Any non rude tips or coments on how I'm trying the wiring or box setup?
Attached Thumbnails laugh at me :p-1_2ohm_dvc.gif  
Old 12-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
find out what kind of box the manufacturer recomends and how much internal volume the sub needs. Go to homedepot and get a sheet of mdf and make a box with the correct volume. Stop cuttin holes and moving the sub around. Dont put a bigger fuse in the pos amp. Wire it so its stable and save up for a real amp. Damn this thread sounds like a ******* soundoff comp.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

>sealed box volume: 0.4-.95 cubic feet
>ported box volume: 1.632 cubic feet

two speakers in the same box I would assume would be 3.264, with the one speaker taking up volume in the box, I do belive I'm a little over the recomended cubic air space. Temperarly untill I can get my hands on some more fiberglass or mdf I can place an object in the box to fill up airspace and test out the sound differences. ******* or what ever you want to call it, its just trial and error working with what I have currently on my hands.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:36 PM

are your subs Dual 4 ohm, or dual 2 ohm?

where in dallas are you? i want to see this car.

adam
Old 12-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

The Audiobahn site says Dual 4ohm and under opperation it says 2 ohm or 8 ohm.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:43 PM

do you understand electricity?

if you have two four ohm voice coils, and you wire them in series, they will have the resistance of 8 ohms, however if you wire them in parrallel then they will have the resistance of 2 ohms.

so if you wire each sub parrallel, and then hook each sub to one of the channels on your amp, that is as good as it will sound.

adam
Old 12-06-2003, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by onebadwagon
do you understand electricity?

adam

Listen dude, I'm only going to say this once more to clear up something about your posts. I find your replies to allot of my posts rude and belligerent. I'm asking you kindly not to reply to any of my posts, I'm not asking for your help because you just can’t resist to attach a rude comment and try to put me down from the equipment that I have bought or the methods that I have used to set them up. No I'm not going to tell you where I live or any of that other junk. So once again, I'm asking you not to reply to any of my posts. I can find just as much help from the others who won’t judge a person on the type of audio equipment or the ways they hook them up. This is fair game if you ask me, you don’t reply to me and I won’t reply to you, let’s just settle it at that ok?

If you would, please click this link and review the rules set by the Administrator that you are clearly violating, give some mature though to them and know that people do come here for help and to give help, not criticism, when I want to be criticized, I'll ask for it and trust people to have good manner about it.

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/ann...p?s=&forumid=9
Old 12-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
the short answer: a sub's ohm rating does not change at all. a 4 ohm sub is a 4 ohm sub. what you're probably confusing is the wiring options. depending how you wire up that dual voice coil sub, the amp will either see it as 2 ohms (parallel coils) or 8 ohms (series coils)
Old 12-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by CAMp3RO
the short answer: a sub's ohm rating does not change at all. a 4 ohm sub is a 4 ohm sub. what you're probably confusing is the wiring options. depending how you wire up that dual voice coil sub, the amp will either see it as 2 ohms (parallel coils) or 8 ohms (series coils)

Thank you for the mature answer, it really cleared some stuff up.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 PM

this is what i posted,
if you have two four ohm voice coils, and you wire them in series, they will have the resistance of 8 ohms, however if you wire them in parrallel then they will have the resistance of 2 ohms.

that seams to sum up the same CAMp3RO said,

my question was honest on that last one, it was just a question.

im not judging you, i dont give a damn who you are or where you live, my point was, that you keep posting questions about quality of items, and then you post about your system, and then when people say something about it, you just get mad and call them immature, because they didnt treat your ego as a fragile little flower.

if i insulted your intelligence, then, i apologize. however for the most part my answers have been both truthful, and knowledgable, and yet you disregard them, along with that of a few other people, who are only offering you helpful advice, just so you can continue asking the same question.

i wont bother you again with my "immature, childlike and hurtful criticism"

BTW, Grow a sack.

adam