Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Read something interesting on edelbrock tonight>>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read something interesting on edelbrock tonight>>>

I was thumbing through a recent mail order cataloge..when I came across an add for an edelbrock.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Edelbrock:
On a small block Chevy engine Edelbrocks EPS 800 carb out performs the closest competetor by 22 horsepower abd 26 ft-lbs of torque </font>

What kinda crack are they smoking.

First of all, even the people that run and love thier Edelbrocks know full well that they place pretty much dead last in any real dyno test. They like them for other reasons....ie gas mileage, reliablity, whatever, and think it's a worth while trade off.

Secondly, thats a fairly whopping margin to find between any 2 similar cfm carbs. Just who exactly is thier "closest competition"!?! a 2bbl Stromberg?!? A Q jet with the secondaries rusted closed perhaps?

I also found it interesting to note, that in all of Holley descriptions, there is not a single mention of outpowering anybody, not even on thier top of the line Dominators.

Some talk the talk....and some just walk the walk

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports

[This message has been edited by Jester (edited December 09, 2001).]
Old 12-10-2001, 12:30 AM

I'll hold on to my 1407 until after winter.But after that I'm thinking speed demon all the way.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Such claims usually compare performance between two carbs installed "out of the box" without any tuning.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Sport Coupé
Engine: 305-4v
Transmission: 700R4 and TransGo2
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Apeiron:
Such claims usually compare performance between two carbs installed "out of the box" without any tuning.</font>
Hey, the cat in the hat is back! How is the XP running?
Old 12-10-2001, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2001 Camaro SS
Engine: Almighty LS1
Transmission: T56
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Havoc:
I'll hold on to my 1407 until after winter.But after that I'm thinking speed demon all the way.</font>
doing the same thing

Old 12-11-2001, 01:11 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy
Ok I dont know of any street driven SBC's that need 800 CFM. Do you? Its just garbage. Sure a person can produce 25 more hp if the have an engine built for the carb. . I'll stick with a holley that according to edelbrock produces less power thank you very much.
SSC
Old 12-11-2001, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SSC:
Ok I dont know of any street driven SBC's that need 800 CFM. Do you?</font>
This is pretty off the subject, but you'd be surprised. For some reason people don't seem to realize just how hungry some motors are. The (cidxrpm)/3456 equation is NOT the be and end all of engine needs.

For example. I read an article awhile back on a small block build up and dyno test. It was a pretty hot engine granted (dynoed in the mid 400s IIRC), but it was still just 350cid and streetable. They ended up going with a 850 because the dyno showed a significant gain over a 750..both Holley DP's.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 12-11-2001, 06:37 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jester:
This is pretty off the subject, but you'd be surprised. For some reason people don't seem to realize just how hungry some motors are. The (cidxrpm)/3456 equation is NOT the be and end all of engine needs.

For example. I read an article awhile back on a small block build up and dyno test. It was a pretty hot engine granted (dynoed in the mid 400s IIRC), but it was still just 350cid and streetable. They ended up going with a 850 because the dyno showed a significant gain over a 750..both Holley DP's.
</font>
I knew the calculation was off but that much. What was the estimated VE of that engine with the 850? I just cant see a SBC needing that much carb. Makes me mad that theres not enough air up here to run a larger carb, even jetted down.
Oh well I'll stop bugging.
SSC