Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

can i swap out my cc quad jet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i swap out my cc quad jet?

i have a 1985 pontiac transam with the computer controlled rochester quadrajet carburetor, and it has given me nothing but problems. ive had it rebuilt "professionally" twice after buying it "rebuilt" from holley and it still wont run worth a crap. i was wondering if i can put a non-feedback carb on there and somehow bypass the computer and still be able to pass my emissions?

id appreciate some help with this.

thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 03:53 AM

Re: can i swap out my cc quad jet?

also, i have a dead spot at about 2k rpm cruising speeds.

is this the transition to the secondaries or something else?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Where in Canada are you, Toronto or Vancouver?
What kind of testing do they do? visual, or just sniffer?

2k rpm testing sounds like the transition from idle to main. There's a ton of things that could be wrong.

First off, this is a cc qjet, purchased NEW, from HOLLEY ?? mixture solenoid and TPS on it and everything? I didn't know holley made/sold those...

With more car info we can tell you how easily it is to go to non-cc. How about making use of that sidebar eh? main thing - what tranny you got?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: built 355
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: Borg warner 3.08's

Originally Posted by CodiCanada
i have a 1985 pontiac transam with the computer controlled rochester quadrajet carburetor, and it has given me nothing but problems. ive had it rebuilt "professionally" twice after buying it "rebuilt" from holley and it still wont run worth a crap. i was wondering if i can put a non-feedback carb on there and somehow bypass the computer and still be able to pass my emissions?

id appreciate some help with this.

thanks
i have a 85 trans am that i had the same problems with i had 3 different carbs that did not work. I changed to a non cc and my car ran like crap. Found out you have to change the distributor to a mechanical vacuum advance one. After that the car ran good.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Sonix, Holley sells rebuilt carbs, including cc q-jets.

CodiCanada, most likely your problem isn't being caused by the carburetor. However, you didn't say anything about why you got the Holley rebuilt in the first place. So, some more detail there would be helpful.

Also, is the SES light coming on? If so, have you retrieved the trouble codes from the computer?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sonix
Where in Canada are you, Toronto or Vancouver?
What kind of testing do they do? visual, or just sniffer?

2k rpm testing sounds like the transition from idle to main. There's a ton of things that could be wrong.

First off, this is a cc qjet, purchased NEW, from HOLLEY ?? mixture solenoid and TPS on it and everything? I didn't know holley made/sold those...

With more car info we can tell you how easily it is to go to non-cc. How about making use of that sidebar eh? main thing - what tranny you got?
right now im living in arizona, but they do the sniffer test, as well as visual, and also they put my car on a dyno while testing the exhaust fumes.

i bought the carb from my local Checker auto supply and it is rebuilt by holley. im not sure what they did but i was supposed to be like new. apparently they have their heads up their butts because the first and second ones i got from them sucked.

its a stock 305, less than 10,000 miles on rebuild, with a 700r4 tranny nothing special, no mods done to anything
----------
Originally Posted by five7kid
Sonix, Holley sells rebuilt carbs, including cc q-jets.

CodiCanada, most likely your problem isn't being caused by the carburetor. However, you didn't say anything about why you got the Holley rebuilt in the first place. So, some more detail there would be helpful.

Also, is the SES light coming on? If so, have you retrieved the trouble codes from the computer?
i bought a rebuilt carb and sent my original one back as a core because the original carb at wot would bog until i let of about 10% i considered this a major problem, but considering what im dealing with now i wish i still had the original carb.

Last edited by CodiCanada; 10-16-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Car: 1987 Chevy Stepside
Engine: 350 TBI w/ a Cam
Transmission: 3 Speed Stick w/ granny low

Yep any check engine? You need to set things like tps, mixture, fast idle, spring tension on secondary air flaps, and a boat load of other stuff.

I got fed up and ditched the stuff. Theres no way you can pass visual if you switch to a non cc carb and new dizzy and the guy knows what hes looking for.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 PM

When im going highway speeds and i let off a little then engine light comes on, is that the same as the ses? also when my choke has the cable plugged to it the light stays on.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
"SES" = "Service Engine Soon". Sometimes called "Check Engine" light, but I don't think 3rd gens have that.

If the Service Engine Soon light is coming on, it is setting a trouble code in the computer. You need to retrieve that information. How to do that is in the Tech FAQ linked from the thirdgen.org homepage.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:44 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by CodiCanada
i bought a rebuilt carb and sent my original one back as a core because the original carb at wot would bog until i let of about 10% i considered this a major problem, but considering what im dealing with now i wish i still had the original carb.
No kidding, especially if you have an H.O. motor which have specific CCC's. The bog problem is very common on Quadrajets of any year and model and is easily fixed by adjusting the Air Valve (AV) tension.