Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

speakers setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z/28 convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
speakers setups

post pics of the speakers u have in your vert i have a 91 and im trying ot figure out what to put in it including the front rear and subs. i had a kicker 600.1 and 4 jl 10's but that was when i had a hard top im not sure what i wnat to put in my vert
Old 04-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
I have factory spk up front and JBL two ways mounted in the panel behind the doors, replacing a beat Pioneer single.
What I recently inquired about was 5.1 digital surround for the car, I was told by a local stereo dealer he was at a show where a Camaro featured custom center channel speaker for the dash, and the possibilty for door mounted speakers is also there.
Clarion offers a half DIN center speaker and I plan to explore those options, although I, myself, am not a bass-freak. I prefer high end treble with a fair amount of bass, usually north of center
The 5.1 surround option has a LFE channel for bass, true bass, and supports Dolby Digital and DTS.
If you go that route however, head units supporting DVD I'm told require matching brand processor for the decoding.
-Bill
Old 04-09-2004, 03:58 PM

well i was mainly worried about the rear speakers becuase it didnt look as if gm wanted some1 to put speakers in the rear of a convertible
Old 04-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

The dealer was interested in selling I'm sure, but he was stressing the point of timbre matching, which you try to do for home surround as well. In a car environment, I'm not so inclined to think you can get the same sound parameters as a home setting affords. My main concern matching speakers is tonal differences being minor, but ohm ratings being the same, or at least the efficiency of the drivers close so 'balance' and 'fader' remain close to middle settings. I'm going after a digital processor at the moment for the decoding of the head unit, which will be easier to get then the processor, buying at eBay prices. There are some factory sub systems, not sure if employed for drop tops, but the space behind the convert panals seems to allow decent speakers to be used, if low profile. Sound is particular to ones taste, and I do think with a convertible you will be sacrificing your sound options more so then other cars, but luckily those options aren't as limiting as before thanks to car audio buffs.
Bill

Last edited by Bill Speed; 04-10-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:41 PM

does the rear speakers in a convertible suppose to be 6x8's? from what i read thats what it sounds like. i guess ill have to get some pics and show u my car becuase there is no way 6x8's fit in my car i cant explain it so ill get some pics as soon as possible
Old 04-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

I got the processor I need for digital surround, so I'm on my way toward an interesting, unique setup. My panels weren't completely re attached, I admit, as the pull string used to release the cover made a nasty habit of falling down behind them, and I needed to recover easily on those rain-days!
My speakers are round, but JBL, they are better suited to the area then the last pair. Problem is the magnet size and/or shape, they do fit very tight...one area to look at is Car Domain.Com where sound systems are usually modded to most cars featured... Get a feel for options available. I just don't know about factory speakers there as mine were already changed. The dash speakers work well, but they are quite loud and don't balance equally with the JBLs. Right now body and mechanicals are my top list.
An eBay seller showed me how he modded a Delco radio for AUX input, pretty nicely done, but requires a mini-plug cable addition and toggle switch added to faceplate
-Bill
Old 06-15-2004, 10:32 AM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z Convertible
Engine: 1992 5.7 Vette Engine
Transmission: 700R4 Auto. Built
I've installed 5-7 pioneer in the dash for highs. I know they aren't ment for highs but it worked out great. I installed pioneer 6-9 in the panels behind the doors. I'm using those for mids. I then installed a 200watt bazooka in the trunk all the way down in the lowest part. I built a box and install 2 12" xl punches on top of the bazooka. The mids and highs are powered from a 600watt sony amp and the box is powered from a 600watt sony amp. It took a little while to figure out how to get the right sound from a convertible but I think we did pretty good. The first time we showed the car we took home first place in show and first place in audio clarity. Made us feel pretty good.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:59 PM

Location: In my own little world - but they know me well in here
Car: 88 Sport convertible
Engine: 305TBI
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 3.42 rear end
bad@ss89camaro, back somewehat to your initial post, the factory rear speakers were 6.5"

6x9's do not fit very well. Supports put in by ASC tend to prevent them from fitting properly. Massive cutting on your sail panel will not help much . The depth from the sail panle to the outer body shell is not deep enough for a very large magnet.....

the front dash speakers were/are 4x6

Set of pioneers in both of my 88 convertibles tremendously helped the sound........now thinking about some 180 watt sony 6.5" for the back
Old 06-15-2004, 04:13 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z Convertible
Engine: 1992 5.7 Vette Engine
Transmission: 700R4 Auto. Built
The 6-9 I installed fit pretty good. They mounted flush. The magnet is not very deep but fat. These were perfect for vehicles that didn't have alot of room for magnets. I am going to install some 10's in there place. But I will have to modify the panels. The trick is to make sure your rear seat clears them. The only reason I'm installing 10's is because we are installing 5-7 and 6-9 in the back of the front seats. All ideas are good you just have to play with it until you get the sound you are looking for.