Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

All of a sudden I got that smell in my nose! ANTIFREEZE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of a sudden I got that smell in my nose! ANTIFREEZE!

I don't know what happened, I was coming to school and maybe like 4 spaces away from my usual space and then I parked and turned my car off and heard this horrible pressure noise under my hood that sounded like a fart! Man I could smell the antifreeze I look at my gage and it read 260*....damn...what the heck went wrong? I mean the overflow canister caught most of the coolant but after that I don't know what happened I had to come into class...during lunch my grandpa picked me up and my car is sitting in the parking lot....could my thermostat have crapped out? I mean around the thermostat housing its all cruddy and looks like antifreeze is seeping out through there...any help would help....AARON
Old 12-09-2002, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Monte Carlo SS...
Engine: T.P.I L98.
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
I would have to say you answered your own question Aaron. Yes it sounds like it is your thermostat, probably siezed. THat is where I would start anyway. You do say it look pretty crappy and is leaking anyway, so yes I would replace the t stat and gasket and see how you make out.
HTH
Keiran
Old 12-09-2002, 10:45 PM

update...

I started my car after school and waited for it to warm up and the temp only went to about 195*....iIwaited in the student parking lot traffic, I drove my friend home which is about 10 minutes away from school then all the way back to my house which is like 15 minutes from his house and the car is running perfect?!?!?! its weird....like they say...its always quietest before the strorm so tomorrow I am chaning my T Stat and gasket.....AARON
Old 12-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Monte Carlo SS...
Engine: T.P.I L98.
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
You may have a air lock in the system too. When you put the new t-stat and gasket in,and put back together, top the coolant up right away. Run the engine with the rad cap off, allow the car to get to complete operating temperature. You will need to add some coolant as you go. Once you fell the car is topped right up, put the rad cap back on but only 1/2 way (to the first stop) take teh car for a good run to allow any air to travel through the system and escape out the rad cap.

HTH
Keiran
Old 12-10-2002, 07:14 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah that sounds weird! all the up to 260 and now it runs fine!
Old 12-11-2002, 09:25 AM

im about to get flamed

I have my car at home, and yesterday I went to the gas station and filled up, well my attention was caught while I saw my temp. gage rise to 260* again!!! AHHHHH I turned my car off and then when it cooled down...I drove home and got home and heard that same noise again...that fart noise.....and it was water pressure building in my overflow catch can...well I thought about the fans...THE FANS!!! I popped my hood, turned the key forward and guess what!!! They weren't on! neither one! I am going today to get the fan relay and low temp switch.....but I don't know where the realy goes or the temp swtich...can someone help me out.....and oh yeah, do you all think this is the problem???? AARON

p.s. when I would turn the car off before all this happened..the fan would keep on turning until it stopped on its own free will.......is that a problem too??
Old 12-11-2002, 10:25 AM

Car: 85Z28
Engine: TPI355,383LT4
Transmission: 700-R4,T-56
My fan doesnt work in my rs this is a really common problem i replaced everything and it still doesnt work but if your car gets hot turn on the ac and the fan automatically turns on thus cooling your car down just turn on the ac whenever it gets hot until you get it fixed.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:36 PM

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: l98
Transmission: 700r4
Arron, did u recently change your plugs and stuff? If so, check on the pass. side between the 6 and 8 plugs. it is possible that you could have knocked off the connector to the fan switch. Worst case is it snapped the head of the switch off and it gives you a good reason to upgrade the switch. Unfortunately if the connector is brok you need to get one of those too. The Hypertech fan switch comes with a new connector, and is like 50 bux from jegs. I got the one that comes on at 176* and off at 188*, works great. Lil tips for the install. Get some antifreeze, water wetter, and dont use teflon tape on the threads.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Guess
Engine: Crazy 8
Transmission: So close to being a manual I can taste it
Another way to check the fan really easily is to let the engine run and when it gets hot enough and the fans are NOT on but SHOULD be, gently, tap the motor with a hammer. If they come on then you should change the fan motor. I would try this before I replaced the relay and fan switch.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:23 AM

91 TPI and 92ZZZ

Thanks for the great advice, thats why I love having this forum around...when I had my S Series on S10Forum.com....they were haters complete and utter haters....here it is all third gen knowledge...I will try both of the suggestions, by checking between the 6&8 plugs and also the fan motor thing....but today the fans seemed to be working fine...weird huh?...AARON
Old 12-12-2002, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
I had a similiar thing happen to me once. I was driving home and temp. was fine but I was doing over 100+ mph... anyways got home in the drive way and I heard a weird noise... then steam came out with sweet smell. I got a pair of gloves and opened hood. Turns out temp gauge went to 160+ as soon as I stopped somehow... must have been climbing barely as I was driving or something. The noise was from the coolant boiling out of my refill tank. Ends up last 2 owners of the car say it has been running hot for awhile like that. I eventually figured out it was missing the air dam off the lower radiator. Bought a new one put it on and it cools fine now.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:07 PM

FIXED

I fixed the fans...the relays shorted out and with some new relays and some wires disconnected its running at about 180*....ahhh this is the life...nice and cool sitting at a stop light....AARON