Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 305 TBI
Overheating

After replacing headgaskets, im havin some real overheating issues. I don't know if maybe the wire for engine temp sensor is just reading hot or if the engine is actually overheating (see picture). I say that because the new heads were installed on other sides (old ones cracked) and they made a wire to reach the temp sensor on that side and with the aftermarket headers i wanna say its just making it read hotter than it is. It has brand new coolant sensor, new thermostat, new radiator cap, hooker headers, radiator is maybe 6 months old, new water pump, air dam underneath is removed. Any help or ideas to look at would be helpful! Also while getting the picture of wire attached to sensor, i saw thermostat gasket, figured i'd isk for thoughts on it, and ask what is the third wire in 3rd picture for.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 firebird convertible
Engine: 305 tbi v8
Re: Overheating

Reinstall the air dam. And that connector and wire is cooked. Start with that, then let us know?
The following 4 users liked this post by goliath88:
IROC-IT (08-25-2020), punkmaster98 (08-25-2020), T.L. (08-17-2020), Tony V (09-20-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 305 TBI

Originally Posted by goliath88
Reinstall the air dam. And that connector and wire is cooked. Start with that, then let us know?
Literally just saw this, i did not get any notifications and will try it and let you know
Old 08-25-2020, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

That single-pin wire in your hand is for either the fan switch or the knock sensor.

If the wire is dark green w/ white stripe, it's for the fan switch. Which since it's in your hand and not plugged into the switch, might have some bearing on an "overheating" problem.

Put the temp gauge sending unit back in the head it belongs in (driver's side), and put the fan switch back in the head it belongs in (pass side) and plug it back in.

The thermostat gasket looks like a typical paper gasket, which of course never really completely seals. They usually end up with an accumulation of dried antifreeze substance like that. I screwed up one time back in the 90s and put Dex-Cool in my motor... every single paper gasket in the motor that sealed coolant - head, thermostat, water pump, WP cover, intake - had a frosting of pink-orange fuzz like that after just a week or so. Not much you can do about yours though, except coat the inner edge of the gasket with sealant, so that it can't wick through the paper as easily.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

That connector in your hand in the third pic is either the second fan switch or the knock sensor. The knock sensor mounts into the passenger side block drain. The fan switch is up higher on the head if I recall correctly. The first pic is the temperature gauge sensor. That should be on the driver's side but I would think it doesn't matter if it is on the passengers side as the coolant flows the same through the heads.

You should tell is more about the over heating. While idling? Do the fans come on? Etc.

Also, I highly recommend one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-2...%2C250&sr=8-14

It lets me know what the temperature of the coolant is that is re-entering the engine, after it has been cooled. Great sanity check.

Last edited by Tootie Pang; 08-25-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

That connector may be either the fan switch or the knock sensor. Their connector looks the same.

If the wire is dark green with a white stripe, it's the fan switch. Not having a switch would prevent the fan from coming on under some set of circumstances or other.

Best thing to do if that's the fan switch wire, is put the temp gauge sending unit back in the head it belongs in (driver's side) and then put the fan switch back where it belongs and plug the wire into it.

If that connector is for the knock sensor, your Check Engine light should be on, and you should have a code for a knock sensor problem. If your Check Engine light comes on normally with the key on and engine not running (i.e. if the bulb works), then goes out when the engine is started, it's probably not the knock sensor.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

You could be correct, in fact the blue might indicate it is the fan switch. My knock sensor connector was all white.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Yup, connectors are the same, the color of the wire will tell. When he posts that we'll know for sure. I don't think the connector color is relevant at all.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird Formula
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 3.42s, Torsen diff.

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
The thermostat gasket looks like a typical paper gasket, which of course never really completely seals. They usually end up with an accumulation of dried antifreeze substance like that. I screwed up one time back in the 90s and put Dex-Cool in my motor... every single paper gasket in the motor that sealed coolant - head, thermostat, water pump, WP cover, intake - had a frosting of pink-orange fuzz like that after just a week or so. Not much you can do about yours though, except coat the inner edge of the gasket with sealant, so that it can't wick through the paper as easily.
Or, better yet: DO NOT USE PAPER GASKETS TO SEAL COOLANT.

Just clean the surfaces to the bare metal, and use black silicone. Thermostat housing, water pump, anything that sees coolant.

While I'm on the subject of gaskets, don't use cork gaskets.

Paper and cork gaskets are 1920's technology, and they have no place on modern cars.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Mr. Gasket makes a really nice silicone thermostat housing gasket that's excellent in my experience.

GD
The following users liked this post:
WildCard600 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 194 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
Or, better yet: DO NOT USE PAPER GASKETS TO SEAL COOLANT.

Just clean the surfaces to the bare metal, and use black silicone. Thermostat housing, water pump, anything that sees coolant.

While I'm on the subject of gaskets, don't use cork gaskets.

Paper and cork gaskets are 1920's technology, and they have no place on modern cars.
I use blue, but yeah no gasket on the thermostat housing... just clean the metal and an 1/16" layer of silicone before mating the housing to the manifold. Excess squeezes out and i trim it off after it cures.