DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Toyota EFI (22RE)

Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1956 Willys
Engine: 383 TBI
Transmission: SM465
Toyota EFI (22RE)

Do any of you know much about Toyota EFI. Specifically the EFI systems found on 22RE motors? My DIY EFI stories have rubbed off on one of my coworkers and now he wants to do some data logging on his daily driver (a early 90's model Toyota 2wd PU). He's a big fan of real time systems and in his early years he was writing code for the F-111. I don't know anything about Toyota EFI so I was hoping that you folks could help this guy out.

Last edited by brennanw; 03-19-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member

hate to give you the smack down but the only company that makes anything for that bastard propritary chipped ecm is tomtech.com and itll cost you a fortune. by the time you bought the adapter board you could be running and EDIS with a 749/730 and be using a 3bar hacked bin to go with it.

everything in those toyota ecms is locked up being just entriely wierd. like wierdeer then ford but at least with a ford eec 4 or 5 you can hijack the databuss outboard.

oohhh yyeeaaahhhh.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:25 AM

Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire
Transmission: 700R4
Proprietary, schmopritary. It can be hacked - obviously, someone's done it.

It's ugly though, REALLY ugly. You actually have to desolder the processor, install the daughterboard mentioned above, and then install the processor into a socket on the new daughterboard. Not for the faint of heart.

From what I gathered, they use a serial form of transmitting addresses and data, and all the little daughterboard did, was convert this (via a CPLD or FPGA) into parallel data so it could be placed on a parallel EPROM. I'm not sure if their method was for any particular reason, but it would seem more intelligent to make a daughterboard that was reprogrammable (i.e. Prominator/AutoProm) through a parallel port or serial port and use a serial EPROM/flash device.

I do remember seeing a post somewhere when I did a search on it, that the processor is an 8051 variant..?

Mind you, the stuff I was looking at was for Toyota MR2's, I don't know how much they vary from the pickup ECM's (but I can't imagine much.)

It's all possible of course, but you've got a much longer road ahead of you.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
The more I try to help friends with their electronics on non-GM cars, the more I realize GM is spoiling the crap out of us. I simply wouldn't expect to get the functionality of a GM EFI system out of any other car, because it's seriously unlikely... GM EFI is a DIYer's paradise.. and everything else OEM I've ever run into just sucks in that department.

Desoldering the CPU?! *shudder*
Old 03-19-2004, 05:50 PM

Car: 1956 Willys
Engine: 383 TBI
Transmission: SM465
Thanks guys. This isn't looking very promising. All he wants to do at this point is see if he can log data from the diagnostic port (the ALDL on our systems). There must be some sort of data being pumped to that port, otherwise I can't see much use for having the port.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 355 (fastburn heads, LT4 HOT cam)
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt, 3.27
Originally posted by brennanw
Thanks guys. This isn't looking very promising. All he wants to do at this point is see if he can log data from the diagnostic port (the ALDL on our systems). There must be some sort of data being pumped to that port, otherwise I can't see much use for having the port.
Well, unless it's OBD2 (doesn't sound like it is), I don't think there is any data in the diagnostic connector. There are terminals you can jump for various things, like setting timing, etc... I think you can also use a DVOM to get voltages from various sensors on that port. I don't have the correct discs here, or I would look it up for ya. I'll try to remember to grab them monday.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:46 PM

Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire
Here's an interesting tidbit I found..

http://www.jmross.freeserve.co.uk/page1.html

And another that describes the Techtom unit mentioned above, including pictures. Damn, we GMECM'ers have it EASY by comparison!

http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/techtom/

Last edited by Ken73; 03-19-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Ken73
Damn, we GMECM'ers have it EASY by comparison!

The easy part is all *we've* gotten done. Until folks really pull together, we're just cruising. Public Domain some Source Code, with some corrections/patches, and then you'll really see what *we've* been missing out on.

Once a few tricks to the Japanese stuff is Public Domained, then they'll be on the pare with everyone else. But, from the looks of it, AEM, has about covered things.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by brennanw
most jap cars from the 80's used light to flash codes. they simply didnt want anyone looking inside the box dude. so usually there is no direct aldl of ttyl com setup on the board. as is the case with 0bd0 obd1 honda ecms. chances are that even if you did tap the rx,tx line youd have to recompile code to change the speed on those lines from whatever its at now most likely SB of higher speeds to something like 128k or under.

anyways the GM stuff would easily port over and give your friend the felxibility he needs. even if you do manage to crack the box what you can do inside isnt gonna be like it would with $58.

the other side of the coin is the 8051 variant uses some propritary instruction and handlers for function calls and i can tell you that ive played with DASMing the code but like honda they didnt goto oki they went to philips i belive and then went to magnvox or hitachi. most likely hitachi. but like most other car manufacturers there are some very hard to crack op codes as well as a few custom instructions. look at the mess the guys with the honda have had in rewriting the code to deal with the A5 oki instricution for there 8051 variant to run good.

just things to think about.