DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

ostrich issues...still

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 s10 blazer
Engine: build 4.3
Transmission: t56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 4.56's
ostrich issues...still

ok i posted this in the moates forum and havent gotten much feedback. hopefully you guys can help me figure out whats going on

Originally Posted by tippmann243
im haivng a problem with my ostrich running only in limp mode.

im working on an 89 blazer with a 4.3/t56 combo running a 7747 ecu

ive got two good friends that have ostriches and i called them and we went over everything step by step on the phone since i couldnt get it to work. just wanted to verify my steps and make sure im doing everything correctly

hooking up the ostrich the computer recognizes it and it says connected in tuner pro.

i then open a stock bin and xdf that is saved to my computers hard drive.
i have even tried multiple bins and xdf files. if i save the stock bin again it will update the check sum and tell me that with a small yellow box.

i then go to tools and upload current bin to emulator and i get a green box that says upload success.

then i click on the blue chip button that enables emulation.

but when i try and start the truck all i get is a rapidly flashing cel and a 2k idle that smells pig rich. ive checked my cables and everything is connected correctly. even thought maybe i wasnt getting a good connection and soldered in an adapter chip into the 7747 and still get the same results.

ive gone oever everything a hundred times and im still getting limp mode.

any advice, input, constructive criticism?

thanks
-mark
this is driving me nuts. truck hardly runs on a stock 8062 ecu. i would like to get this issue solved so i can at least drive it a bit more before it gets put away for the winter
Old 08-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Re: ostrich issues...still

Have you set the jumpers correct inside the ostrich?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM

yes, they are set correctly
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

The first step you should take is to read the stock bin from the original chip that was in your truck, or find a trustworthy copy of it on the Internet (ftp.diy-efi.org is a great place to look). Once you have that, without modifying it, upload it to the Ostrich using TunerPro and the proper XDF. Again, without modifying it, start the engine and ensrue it runs properly.

If it does no run properly, the something else is the matter and we need to go down a different path.

If it does run properly, we can move on to uploading changes (which will almost certainly involve disabling the checksum). We can cross that bridge when we get to it, too. Start with the first paragraph.

M
Old 08-21-2007, 12:41 PM

i have tried multiple bins and xdf files to no avail.

i found 5 differnt bins for the 4.3 i tired all those with the standard 42 xdf and i still get limp mode.

then i read about the 7747mine xdf file. tried that will all my bins and nothing.

after that i called my buddies and had them file transfer me the files they are using to run their 350's. granted its not right but the the motor should still technically run on a 350 bin. the files i got from my buddies that worked on their blazers will not run my truck.

every time i try a file i have not changed anything yet. i wanted to make sure the file would run the vehicle before i started tweaking stuff.

-mark
Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: GTA -89
Engine: Blown 415"
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt

Try to shut down Tunerpro and restart it, it helps for me.

My problem and a friends too is I can emulate and upload bins and it works perfect, then if I shut down the car and try to restart it I get a SES light and the only thing that helps is to restart tunerpro and upload the bin again. This is with ostrich, works perfect with xtronics device....

/N.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by gta324

My problem and a friends too is I can emulate and upload bins and it works perfect, then if I shut down the car and try to restart it I get a SES light and the only thing that helps is to restart tunerpro and upload the bin again. This is with ostrich, works perfect with xtronics device....

/N.
Ahhh, the Romulator?

I've unfortunately been hearing a lotta bad about the ostrich (not raggin).
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 AM

tried that, it dosent change anything.

still havent heard back from craig either. thats the most frustrating part
Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 AM

If ya wanna drive an hour and a half to my house you can borrow my 2.0 and see if that changes anything, or maybe find someone more local.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by gta324

/N.
What you describe is almost certainly a mismatched checksum. You need to disable the checksum when making changes. If you don't the next time the ECM is powered up and the checksum routine is run, the mismatch will cause the ECM to go into LHM. With either a matched or disabled checksum, this will not occur.
----------
Originally Posted by 1badz71tahoe
Ahhh, the Romulator?

I've unfortunately been hearing a lotta bad about the ostrich (not raggin).
You almost certainly have that backwards.

Last edited by Mangus; 08-22-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mangus
Thats what I was thinking. I haven't heard anything bad about the Ostrich or any Moates products for that matter.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"

1) What are you using to interface with the ECU? Are you using a G2 adapter? Do you have the red stripe on the ribbon facing the right way? It's all shown here:
http://www.moates.net/documentation....entation_id=24
http://www.moates.net/documentation....entation_id=10

2) What do you have set in TunerPro RT for the preferences for checksum disable? The box should be checked, and you should have it set to AA at 04.

3) What jumper settings do you have set? Are both jumpers set to the left as they should be? If you're using a G2, then the top one should be to the left and the bottom one to the right.

4) What is the behavior of the SES light? It should come on and blink once when you key the vehicle on, and then go out when the vehicle starts. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

Please feel free to contact me offline and I'll be glad to walk you through whatever is needed to get things working. If there's something wrong with your particular unit, we can of course take care of that ASAP.

Best regards,
Craig
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: GTA -89
Engine: Blown 415"
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt

I can tell you all that Craig has the best support!

If there is a problem or question just ask/email him and he will respond.

/N.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Craig Moates
1) What are you using to interface with the ECU? Are you using a G2 adapter? Do you have the red stripe on the ribbon facing the right way? It's all shown here:
http://www.moates.net/documentation....entation_id=24
http://www.moates.net/documentation....entation_id=10

2) What do you have set in TunerPro RT for the preferences for checksum disable? The box should be checked, and you should have it set to AA at 04.

3) What jumper settings do you have set? Are both jumpers set to the left as they should be? If you're using a G2, then the top one should be to the left and the bottom one to the right.

4) What is the behavior of the SES light? It should come on and blink once when you key the vehicle on, and then go out when the vehicle starts. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

Please feel free to contact me offline and I'll be glad to walk you through whatever is needed to get things working. If there's something wrong with your particular unit, we can of course take care of that ASAP.

Best regards,
Craig
1. i just have a 24 pin chip soldered into my 7747, i then have a another 24pin chip as a "spacer" the 4 prong closest to the red strip on the ribbon cable hang off to the inside of the ecu. red strip also hangs off to the inside.

2. checksum is disabled and i have it set to 08 04. i just recently changed that as it was one of the things me and my buddies were going over to try and get it to work. i think it was AA 04 but i cant rember for sure.

3 both jumpers are set to the left. just opened it up to triple check that.

4 as soon as i turn the key on i get a rapidly flashing cel. the cel continues to flash rapidly the whole time the truck runs.

5 thanks ill try and get ahold of you later today

-mark
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

I haven't received any word on this yet, but you may have to tie the high address lines to pin 26. This has to be done when converting to a 28 pin chip, not sure about the use of an emu/ostrich/otherflightlessbirds, as I would like to veryify this myself, since I'll be dealing with a 7747 equipped truck tonight.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kurt04
If ya wanna drive an hour and a half to my house you can borrow my 2.0 and see if that changes anything, or maybe find someone more local.
thanks for the offer kurt, but my buddies are comming in next weekend. so if this isnt resolved by then im gonna borrow one of theirs and see if i cant get it to work. or have one of them use mine and see if it will run their truck.

let me know when you get back from the sand box, my offer is still good for a ride in the blazer
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
TGO Supporter

1. i just have a 24 pin chip soldered into my 7747, i then have a another 24pin chip as a "spacer" the 4 prong closest to the red strip on the ribbon cable hang off to the inside of the ecu. red strip also hangs off to the inside.

2. checksum is disabled and i have it set to 08 04. i just recently changed that as it was one of the things me and my buddies were going over to try and get it to work. i think it was AA 04 but i cant rember for sure.

3 both jumpers are set to the left. just opened it up to triple check that.

4 as soon as i turn the key on i get a rapidly flashing cel. the cel continues to flash rapidly the whole time the truck runs.

5 thanks ill try and get ahold of you later today

-mark
1) Chip? Or do you mean socket? So you're not using a G2? I think the address lines might indeed need to be tied if you're using a 28-pin chip.

2) offset 04 needs to be set to 0xAA. This could very well be one of your issues

3) As Craig stated, if using a G2, the top should be to the left, bottom to the right.

Does it run with the stock chip attached to the adapter (with the jumpers set correctly, of course)? Or, even better, does it run with your stock bin burned to a 28 pin chip with the proper offset and the jumpers set to 28-pin?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM

thanks for the offer kurt, but my buddies are comming in next weekend. so if this isnt resolved by then im gonna borrow one of theirs and see if i cant get it to work. or have one of them use mine and see if it will run their truck.

let me know when you get back from the sand box, my offer is still good for a ride in the blazer
Sounds good and good luck. You know I'll definitely wanna ride in the Blazer. Guess you can bring it down when you come to give me a hand putting in the T56.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:35 PM

let me know when your gonna do that. im more then willing to help.

plus i like marking my territory in other peoples neighborhood.

there are two 40' long black marks at the very front of my girlfriends subdivision
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM

let me know when your gonna do that. im more then willing to help.

plus i like marking my territory in other peoples neighborhood.

there are two 40' long black marks at the very front of my girlfriends subdivision
You got it dude!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 PM

I am having the same problem now with a 7747.

Rapidly flashing CEL, this actually started AFTER I changed the checksum disable box.

What I noticed was the settings were at AA at 08, looks like I'll need to change that and try again.

I also couldn't connect the ALDL side of things, set up the com ports, TP RT shows a functioning cable as well. I have the 42 adl, since I can only find one. Any insite into this rapidly flashing CEL would be helpful. I'm going back on Sunday to get this to work, hopefully. My cable is a home made max232 cable, using a 9V battery for power. The Rapidly flashing CEL also occured with the stock chip afterwards (no adaptor). Is it normal for TP RT to detect the cable on two com ports? I have another ALDL cable test program that only detects it on one com port.

*edit* I did get the truck to run on the Ostrich, but no feedback to the ALDL dash, this was before changing the checksum setting.

Last edited by Six_Shooter; 08-24-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
The Rapidly flashing CEL also occured with the stock chip afterwards (no adaptor). Is it normal for TP RT to detect the cable on two com ports? I have another ALDL cable test program that only detects it on one com port.

*edit* I did get the truck to run on the Ostrich, but no feedback to the ALDL dash, this was before changing the checksum setting.
If it occurs with the stock chip, you need to investigate your adapter (or non-adapter) setup. Is the chip in correctly? Etc. Don't be too quick to conclude that the Ostrich is the problem.

I don't know what you mean by TP RT detecting the cable on two com ports. A cable should only take up a single port, and you need to ensure you've got the right port selected in TunerPro.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Have you guys tried replacing the batteries inside the Ostrich?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 PM

no i havent, but if the batteries are bad it should still run while its plugged into my lappy, which it does not
Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM

no i havent, but if the batteries are bad it should still run while its plugged into my lappy, which it does not
With mine I had a simillar issue. It would work fine but if left overnight or longer I would have to reflash the bin. Replaced batterries and it fixed this. I'm not saying your problem is the same but it's like 5 bucks to find out.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM

batteries are not my problem seeing as how i can have all stuff in the truck, ostrich hooked to my lappy load a bin and try and start the truck and it wont work.

since the ostrich is plugged into the lappy it is powered, yet it still dosent work.

edit, i tried new batteries just for the hell of it since im waiting on the rain to stop so i can put my front end back on.

new batteries in and still no dice. old batteries in and still no dice. still only get limp mode.

Last edited by tippmann243; 08-24-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:36 PM
TGO Supporter

Remind me again - does it run correctly with the original chip?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:16 PM

If it occurs with the stock chip, you need to investigate your adapter (or non-adapter) setup. Is the chip in correctly? Etc. Don't be too quick to conclude that the Ostrich is the problem.

I don't know what you mean by TP RT detecting the cable on two com ports. A cable should only take up a single port, and you need to ensure you've got the right port selected in TunerPro.
I wasn't blaming the Ostrich, just looking for some insight into possibilities. I'll be going over the socket on Sunday when I go back out there to try it. I also bought another 24 pin socket, to modify the other ECM, just incase.

When I use the ALDL cable tester in the ALDL set-up, TP RT will verify that there is a cable working and valid on com ports 2 and 3. Another ALDL test program that I found, I think on Moates will only detect the cable on com port 2.
I think I may have been plugged into the wrong terminal on the ALDL connector, and will have to verify this on Sunday. It seems that with these ECMs or rather the donor truck this harness came out of there's two possibilities for the data terminal M or E, I only tried M last night since I didn't think about trying the other, since I was sure that it was M. I also tried a 10K ohm resister between A and B, but again, no change. I check more on Sunday.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 PM

I think most of the issues are newb problems i keep seeing. I've bought a lot from craig and there's no doubt he's top notch. Hence my not raggin comment.

- B
Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 AM
TGO Supporter

I wasn't blaming the Ostrich, just looking for some insight into possibilities. I'll be going over the socket on Sunday when I go back out there to try it. I also bought another 24 pin socket, to modify the other ECM, just incase.

When I use the ALDL cable tester in the ALDL set-up, TP RT will verify that there is a cable working and valid on com ports 2 and 3. Another ALDL test program that I found, I think on Moates will only detect the cable on com port 2.
I think I may have been plugged into the wrong terminal on the ALDL connector, and will have to verify this on Sunday. It seems that with these ECMs or rather the donor truck this harness came out of there's two possibilities for the data terminal M or E, I only tried M last night since I didn't think about trying the other, since I was sure that it was M. I also tried a 10K ohm resister between A and B, but again, no change. I check more on Sunday.
Tie E and M together to make it easier and avoid the need to worry which pin might have the signal. Most likely they're already tied together on the vehicle side.

10K is only needed for 1227165 ECMs.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM

Remind me again - does it run correctly with the original chip?
runs as good as can be expected with a modded motor and a stock tune

im going to the junkyard to get a stock ecu today. just cuz i need a spare, and to see if another ecu changes anything
Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 PM

Tie E and M together to make it easier and avoid the need to worry which pin might have the signal. Most likely they're already tied together on the vehicle side.

10K is only needed for 1227165 ECMs.

Let us know how it goes!
Any insight into the reason TP RT sees the cable on two com ports, while ALDL test V200 only detects it on one com port?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
TGO Supporter

Any insight into the reason TP RT sees the cable on two com ports, while ALDL test V200 only detects it on one com port?
None. I've never heard of it before, short of having two physical serial devices on both ports.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 AM

Could it be picking up, the Ostrich as well as the ALDL cable? I don't recall if I tried the test with the Ostrich disconnected or not.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Could it be picking up, the Ostrich as well as the ALDL cable? I don't recall if I tried the test with the Ostrich disconnected or not.
It shouldn't. The ALDL test sends a specific set of bytes to the interface and expects the exact same bytes back. The Ostrich wouldn't do that (it would return '?').
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Well, I was able to connect through the ALDL tonight, had to use pin E. No biggy.

The Ostrich isn't working though, stock PROM, and it runs fine, swap Ostrich in place and that dredded rapidly flashing CEL.

I tried uploading with checksum disabled, with it enabled, changing Prom ID to what I was reading through the ALDL on the stock PROM, emulating on and off (still not sure exactly what that means, but I bet I'll find out when I get the Ostrich to work), I tried the switches in all different settings, and no changes at all.

I'll be contacting Craig to see if he has any other ideas.

Just an observation while I had the ALDL connected is that it would only show with the stock PROM, since it seems that you need a proper bin enabled for datalogging to occur. This makes sense, but not really something I had thought about before hand.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Six,

Get with me offline, craig@moates.net and I'll be glad to walk you through step by step for the setup if you like. If something's wrong with your Ostrich, we obviously need to get you taken care of in that regard as well.

-Craig
Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Six,

Get with me offline, craig@moates.net and I'll be glad to walk you through step by step for the setup if you like. If something's wrong with your Ostrich, we obviously need to get you taken care of in that regard as well.

-Craig
E-mail sent.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Well, I was able to connect through the ALDL tonight, had to use pin E. No biggy.

The Ostrich isn't working though, stock PROM, and it runs fine, swap Ostrich in place and that dredded rapidly flashing CEL.

I tried uploading with checksum disabled, with it enabled, changing Prom ID to what I was reading through the ALDL on the stock PROM, emulating on and off (still not sure exactly what that means, but I bet I'll find out when I get the Ostrich to work), I tried the switches in all different settings, and no changes at all.

I'll be contacting Craig to see if he has any other ideas.

Just an observation while I had the ALDL connected is that it would only show with the stock PROM, since it seems that you need a proper bin enabled for datalogging to occur. This makes sense, but not really something I had thought about before hand.
A note about the flashing SES light. This is a function of the software, so it is running something from the Ostrich. What the software is doing at key-on is to calculate the checksum and comparing it against the one in the BIN. If they don't match the code loops around in a different path, turning the SES light on then back off making it flash.

If the MaskID has been changed to $AA then the checksum test is bypassed. And the flashing SES should not occur.

RBob.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
A note about the flashing SES light. This is a function of the software, so it is running something from the Ostrich. What the software is doing at key-on is to calculate the checksum and comparing it against the one in the BIN. If they don't match the code loops around in a different path, turning the SES light on then back off making it flash.

If the MaskID has been changed to $AA then the checksum test is bypassed. And the flashing SES should not occur.

RBob.
That location you are refering to is in the "Disable checksum during upload" option and have tried a few values, one being the "04" that is most commonly said as being the correct one. Other 08, 00, 02, all gave the same result.

I also tried the original bin, uploaded to the Ostrich, with diasable checksum during upload turned off, with the same result.

I've replied to Craigs e-mail and am just waiting for a responce.

Last edited by Six_Shooter; 08-27-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

That location you are refering to is in the "Disable checksum during upload" option and have tried a few values, one being the "04" that is most commonly said as being the correct one. Other 08, 00, 02, all gave the same result.

I also tried the original bin, uploaded to the Ostrich, with diasable checksum during upload turned off, with the same result.

I've replied to Craigs e-mail and am just waiting for a responce.
Ack, I just looked at which ECM you are using, the '7747. What I posted about the flashing SES is correct from it being a software function. I err'd in that the section of code that runs at key-on is in on-board ROM, and not in the PROM or Ostrich.

You could take the PROM out and the SES would still flash. In the case of a '165 or '7730 ECM the SES will not flash with the PROM removed. Because all of the code is in the PROM.

Back to the '7747, setting location $04 to $AA will disable the checksum test. The red stripe on the Ostrich ribbon cable goes toward the inside of the ECM. If it isn't that Craig will most centainly get you going.

RBob.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Ack, I just looked at which ECM you are using, the '7747. What I posted about the flashing SES is correct from it being a software function. I err'd in that the section of code that runs at key-on is in on-board ROM, and not in the PROM or Ostrich.

You could take the PROM out and the SES would still flash. In the case of a '165 or '7730 ECM the SES will not flash with the PROM removed. Because all of the code is in the PROM.

Back to the '7747, setting location $04 to $AA will disable the checksum test. The red stripe on the Ostrich ribbon cable goes toward the inside of the ECM. If it isn't that Craig will most centainly get you going.

RBob.
I did not try it without the PROM or Ostruch connected.

Yes the red stripe is towards the other little chip and those 4 pins are also hanging off the end of the adaptor.

Yes, I'm sure Craig will be able to help me out here, at least I'm hoping so.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Six,

-Craig
This man is a stand up guy! He stands behind his products.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
This man is a stand up guy! He stands behind his products.
Yep, talked to him for about 40 minutes tonight on the phone, going through some settings, and checking things over. Discovered there was a problem, or possible problem with the hardware, but when I tested using my buddies emulation cable it worked fine, and then back to my emulation cable it worked fine again. (this was comparing hex code between TP RT and the buffer in my Willems burner program.)

I'll be trying to attach it to the truck again on Thursday and see what happens then.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 PM

Well I was finally able to connect and tune with my Ostrich tonight.

After a few initial issues, such as putting the cable in one pin off, meaning that there were 6 pins hanging off the adaptor instead of 4, where the prom ID checked out, but as expected the truck didn't run very well at all. and then finding one pin of the adaptor not in the DIP socket, it finally connected and the truck ran.

I had issues connecting the ALDL again, which started before I opened WinALDL (tried it as a verification), but then after tuning blindly for a while remembered WinALDL was open, closed it and then TP RT connected and could datalog.

So all is pretty well now.

Was able to get idle fueling down to stoich, still wanders on idle, but I only did about an hour of tuning or so, and being new to it, I think I'm doing pretty decent, with the BLMs being at almost a steady 128, where it was pulling as much fuel as it could last time I had the ALDL connect.

Thanks Craig and Mark, these two products are great.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Supreme Member

Sweet, gotta love it when stuff works!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 AM

Sweet, gotta love it when stuff works!
That's the truth.

I did still have that issue of the Ostrich reading wrong, initially, thorugh my PROM reader, after being connected to the ECM, but that seemed to clear itself up. I'm not questioning it, ok maybe a little, but just as long as it works, that's all that matters.