DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

first time tuning am I on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: mostly anything with a bowtie
Engine: all chevy
Transmission: yep still there
first time tuning am I on the right track?

I have been trying to get my engine dialed in for the last couple of months. I was wondering if someone could look at what I have done so far and maybe give me some pointers? I seem to be chasing my VE tables around. It has gotten better since I went back to the stock injectors and added pressure. I recently added 100 to my injector offset Vs battery voltage that helped a little bit more.

the issues I am having is:

1. I cannot get my wideband 0-5v to read right on pin b16 tried setting different conversion formulas and still not reading what my gauge is reading. When the wire is pluged into the autoprom it reads about .3 high compare to what the gauge reads. if I unhook it completly they are still picking up something is this just noise? is this why it is reading high and how do I get rid of it?

2. Timing? the timeing table I am using I copied out of a bin for a 2000 4.3 s10 with a manual transmission. Is this a good start? the machine shop said I needed to bring my timing in earlier and that with the compression I wouldn't need as much, but this thing is kind of a gutless wonder. I am not logging any knock when I use DM to log. I just (like 5min ago) figured out how to get tuner pro to display KR properly. I also just figured out how to add my base timing into the adx for it to display my advance properly (again 5 min ago). is this enough,, should I give it more, or is this too much and I can't here the detonation over the tires and exhaust?

3. I can't seem to get it to operate in CL as the ecu thinks its rich and keeps trying to lean it out when the WB is already reading lean. I recalibrated the WB and still does the same thing. the factory heated O2 was moved with the hedder installation so I think that is where the issue is, but I am now simulating NB from my WB it still does it. I think it has something to do with Rich O2 Voltage Threshold vs Airflow, Lean O2 Voltage Threshold vs Airflow, and Mean Rich/Lean O2 Voltage Threshold vs Airflow. I tried to make a history table to maybe get an average O2 voltage reading and they are all over the place.

4. AE it seems like any slight flux in throttle will cause AE to kick in. is this normal? I think this could be scewing some of my data since I don't know how to filter out AE and DE.

I have a 93 s10 with 2001 block and heads
TBI 4.3 with a built 4l60e
16168625 with $E6 mask
Moates Auto prom
Tuner Pro RT
stock 4.3 injectors @ 15psi FP
Comp cam 266hr 112 LSA 210/215 duration @ .050
1.52 roller tip rockers
bored .030 over with flat top -5cc pistons for 9.8:1 compression
ported vortec heads
edelbrock 2114 dual plane intake
long tube hedders
2100 stall
4.88 gears with 35" tires.

things disabled in the tune (or I think I disabled),
EGR
DFCO
Cat saver
PE

Attached is my bin I havent datalogged this one yet, well I thought I did but I forgot to hit record. This is my first tuning experiance so I am learning as I go. I have read alot on this forum that has got me this far, but I think I'm to the point of information overload or what applies to my setup and what doesn't. Any assistance or insite would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post I just wanted to make sure I covered everything, hope i didn't leave anything out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
modified_BCFZ.zip (32.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Re: first time tuning am I on the right track?

here is a datalog I did on my way to my night job from the tune posted above.
Attached Files
modified_BCFZ_log.zip (135.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 1990 GTA/1989 Iroc
Engine: L98/383
Transmission: 700r4/t56 magnum
Axle/Gears: 9"

What xdf are you using? If you want to attach the zip for it I'll take a look and see if I could help.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM

I have attached a zip file with my the xdf, adx, and another datalog. thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Attached Files
morefiles.zip (234.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this issue is common. that is using a WB for feedback to ECU. I believe there are threads that address the fix. May be the grounding needs to that of ECU ground?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM

yeah I read some of those, but I get readings even when the WB is not hooked up to the ecu or autoprom. they read almost as much as they are off. I need to fix my homemade datalink cable, so I can take the autoprom out of the equation and see what I get. does anyone know what conversion/calculation I should use to get a accurate number on b16 for the WB?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Ok, found my issue with the WB the wire tap I put on the ground at the ecu worked loose.
While working on my VE table this valley keeps comming back. I will smooth it out and poof its back again after logging. what could be causing this?

Name:  vetable.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  129.0 KB
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Try removing fuel in surrounding RPMs. 2400 and 1600 25-60 MAP.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 PM

thats what I've been doing but it keeps coming back. I'll make a big cut in fuel on those ranges and see what happens. what is really getting me is why it is wanting to add more fuel in the 20kpa ranges. thats why I disabled DFCO and DE but still went to like 20:1 when it hit around 25 kpa on dcel.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

You might be able to lower or smooth the lower rpm VE peak with careful tailoring of AE.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM

I read last night that I should ingnore any cell with less than 50 hits when calculating my new VE, so with that in mind I only used cells with 20+ hits in my calculations and the valley is not as bad now.
I guess the question now is how do I tune the side of the VE table that I hardly ever hit in (20 - 35 kpa)?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM
TGO Supporter

Well if you engine never sees it I guess it is not important. But I would look at graph and smoothen and look back at graph so it looks gradual transition.

More importantly are the ones you dont see unless a 70-100% of throttle. Those you attempt to hit holding a lower gear or find a large incline or both. then smoothen and look at graph as above.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:55 PM

normal driving < 70 - 100% throttle I see between 50 - 90 kpa. No hills here, but I do have 4 low which will get the rpms up but I don't know if the load will be there on the engine to hit the high map areas. when in OD at 55-60 mph i'm seeing 75 - 85 kpa is this normal? it idles at 43 kpa in P/N and 49 in gear, so I figure i'm really only using half the VE table. is this a correct thought?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 PM
TGO Supporter

Well sort of. You have a cam that does not produce much vacuum. yes you are using half the table or 60% or so. You will hit 25 I believe on deacceleration but may not affect your BLM or VE unless you disable DFCO. 90kpa means a restriction or high altitude. I get only 95map at 1200 feet so I guess a restriction
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 PM

well I'm at a whole whopping 14' here on the coast so definately not that. I can't think of what would be causeing a restriction. I did a datalog tonight and exported it to excel. I filtered it to show 80 - 90 kpa and found that i am usually in that range at low rpm's < 1600, 20 - 30 % tps, under 45mph, and in 4th with the TC locked. This has me thinking I need to increase the MPH my TC locks up in 4th. could the TC locking too early or low speed be causing too much of a load?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
TGO Supporter

locking too early. Possibly. I know little on auto trans. Does you tach show lock event? Mine does on my pickup. If you lock it in 2nd of 3 or 3 of 4 what does it show for map?
Map is a 0-5 V sensor. can you see the voltage being linear? Idle 43 kpa is 57 VAC. Can you put a vac gauge on it and get real VAC not ported and then convert 43 VAC to inch of mercury to see on gauge? Will show your sensor is functioning correctly. My MAP failed 2 years ago with 26 years on it. It failed causing car to stay lean so I suspec that was low voltage. No Ce light BTW.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 AM

a couple weeks ago while working on idle VE i noted it wanted alot of fuel at idle and as I gave it more the MAP started to drop, so I tuned it similar to how I setup carbs and tune idle for highest vac reading. I hooked a VAC gauge to manifold vac to see where it was idling at while tuning idle and found it was pulling 17" of vac which is about calculates to about 43 kpa. I do not see an option in the logs for MAP voltage so I might be SOL on logging that one. I do have another MAP sensor I can try to see if there is a difference. as for the TCC i don't have a factory tac only an aftermarket autometer. which is like 200 rpm off. I did some graphing from the log to see if I could pinpoint where I usually see 80-90kpa at cruise. I am thinking it might not be the tcc because I can see in the logs where I was over 80kpa and the TC was not locked but at a higher tps%. below is the graph i made dosen't really tell much. I'm going to keep looking at this log and see if i can graph it out better.
Name:  graph.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
TGO Supporter

No option in TP-RT to show MAP voltage? winALDL I believe does shop all sensor voltages. Free at site.

I dont get it. why is tps moving up down ? I presume you are not moving throttle the same.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM

most of my driving is in traffic with people who don't know how to maintain a steady speed. the dips in TPS% coinside with the MAP so i belive I am moving the throttle that much. I didn't relize I was moving that much though. I don't see my ECU listed in winaldl. I'm sure there is a way to modify the xdf file to monitor the map volts I just need to figure out how.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
TGO Supporter

you can reverse calculate 100 MAP = 5 V 80= 4 V 65= 3.25V 50 = 2.5V MAP sensor is linear
Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM

duh that graph only shows 80-90kpa there are plenty more data points inbetween. I also found an error in my excel spreadsheet that I was using to calculate my new ve table. it was reading input from the wrong cells. time to do more datalogging and see what happens.