DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

TBI -> MAF -> SD -- Doesn't like any tuning, send help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: TBI -> MAF -> SD -- Doesn't like any tuning, send help!

Edit... nevermind
Old 06-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 RS / '17 FiST
Engine: Internal cumbustion
Transmission: 1 with a fun pedal and 1 without
Axle/Gears: 4th gen ss

Hey all, I was absent the last few days due to my computer crashing. I finally got some new parts in yesterday and seem to be back up and running. I'm going to try to do a little tuning if the weather holds out this evening. I got my Moates adapter so I can finally read the oem memcal once and for and see what it says... which I'm mostly just doing to know more than anything useful at this point.

Will report back.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 RS / '17 FiST
Engine: Internal cumbustion
Transmission: 1 with a fun pedal and 1 without
Axle/Gears: 4th gen ss

Alright, so in between the rain showers this weekend I had about an hour to drive around and tinker with the car. Per a suggestion from TunedPerformance I am actually tuning with Closed Loop disabled at the moment. I can't figure out why, but in CL it is pulling fuel constantly. My wideband will show it idling from 13.5-14:1 in OL but as soon as it goes CL it will creep up to ~19:1 and based on how crappy the car feels I believe the gauge. When I disabled closed loop the car warmed up and idled fairly nicely and I was even able to drive around with reasonably safe AFRs. I made a couple of coarse adjustments but for the most part the VE tables are still factory AUJP.

In comes the interesting twist... It took about 10 seconds for me to realize how difficult tuning is going to be trying to watch my A pillar mounted gauge and my laptop in the passenger seat while driving and being able to make some form of intelligent corrections based on what I was seeing. TunedPerformance brought me up to speed on the possibility of pinning my wideband into the ECM in order to datalog it, effectively solving my problem.

I read a few threads and the wiring seems very simple (pin the 5v signal output wire to F14) but I was getting rather confused with all of the different opinions regarding the TP setup to get the WB reading. This should probably become its own thread but since the best info I found was from Ultm8Z and he is already here I figured I would post here first.

@ ULTM8Z directly -- can I PM you directly about the files you used? I'll be honest, I stole your ZIP file from another thread of your bin/adx/xdf to look at the differences. It looked like you got it working so perhaps you could save me some headaches?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah go ahead and PM me. No problem.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Blade09
My wideband will show it idling from 13.5-14:1 in OL but as soon as it goes CL it will creep up to ~19:1 and based on how crappy the car feels I believe the gauge. When I disabled closed loop the car warmed up and idled fairly nicely and I was even able to drive around with reasonably safe AFRs.
A silicone poisoned NB O2 sensor will do exactly that. Report rich to the point the the fuel trims remove so much fuel the engine will cut out. BTDT.

Recall that the fuel trims follow the O2 sensor signal. Double check the O2 window values in the BIN. If they have been substantially decreased, that too can cause problems.

RBob.