DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Craig Moates -- question regarding use of your code

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
Craig Moates -- question regarding use of your code

I downloaded and tried to use version 845 of your software today.. with no luck. (Due to the cable I made.. you can't just rig something onto the end of an AutoXRay cable apparently.)

For my career, I write data accquisition software for industrial production machines. I'd like to write a Windows-based program for data logging, complete with graphs, Excel export, etc.. most of which I've written modules for at work already. Would you object to me using your ECM data files? Also your communication code as a base for a DLL?

Would anyone else be interested in something like this? I could take input on which feature people would think to be most useful.

I like writing software without needing to work with all the specialized compilers at work, plus.. I just love doing things for my car and anyone else with a thirdgen.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Sure, no problem. Just don't sell it, you know. I think everything's clear, it was written from scratch.

For the interface, you might try one of the schematics I have listed. I find the Max233 to be my personal favorite.

You might want to check with some folks that have done pretty good on the Windows thing already, might get even more leg up. Andy Whittaker's FreeScan, WinALDL, the list goes on a little bit. There's a couple nice progs out there.

For my code, the primary objective was to make something that would be small and compact, with very low CPU overhead. It's starting to get a bit fat, and what the heck, the laptops are speeding up on the <$100 market these days. Might be time for some bloating...

One thing I would love to see is a migration of the code to the Palm. I just haven't had the time to tool around more than getting a Palm C compiler working with the VirtualPalm and that was about it. The old Palm3's can be had for a song nowadays, and that would be a nice compact little deal. Not much for memory, but it could do some logging.

What kind of equipment at work? At my work, we do Petrochemical Process Research, every manner of sensor, controller, analyzer, etc all tied together. Most of the big stuff ties in to our central Honeywell TDC3000, but we have a lot of bench-scale stuff too, many run off the FIX32 system. I have limitless respect for the folks that can make the A/D interface stuff as robust as they do!

-Craig
Old 03-11-2002, 09:25 PM

I would be really interested in getting a windows version up and running. I have been dreaming of one since craigs original program came out like a year or so ago. Unfortanately as of right now it's a little over my head.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

I wouldn't sell it. Selling hobby software only benefits a select few, I'd rather help as much of the thirdgen community as possible.

I'm going to buy a cable from AKM most likely, once I sell my AutoXRay to pay for the cable.

We work with Galil motion control, Opto22 I/O, Eurotherm temperature controllers, Advanced Energy power supplies, and custom X-Ray reflectrometry software primarily, with a few odd devices on exam tables and such. Our company produces thin-film photovoltaics for the military and aerospace industry. I'm currently writing some code for "master" control and operator interface over a Molybdenum PVD chamber... after that it's surface profiling software. I have such a long list of projects. =/

Once I get the AKM cable connected and working with Moates' software, I'll whip up some communication DLLs for Windows, and go from there. I'll try to keep it as Windows-portable as possible, so that maybe it'll port over to WinCE easily for the handhelds that use it.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
Ohhh... Sounds very nice!!!
Old 03-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Why not make it Java based so that I can do wireless transmits to my desktop and send it over the web so a real tuner can watch the data. I could throw a video camera in the car too. Where would this get me.......no where. Why not devote your energy into something more useful like writing a routine to do ALDL mode 4.
Yeah, Windows if fine, but I don't see the benefits. Maybe I am just too stupid and just like my old DOS software. Please explain the benefits a Windows version would provide.
Thanks,
J
Old 03-12-2002, 10:30 AM

I would be interested. I use freescan and winaldl, and they are both windows based. I really want something to log blm's (I think both of these will do it, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet). I have downloaded Craig's software and haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

junkcltr - Windows has native libraries (or libraries to help code your own) for graphing, printing, and other data storage. I remember back in the DOS days it was a huge pain in the rear if you wanted a hi-res graph. With Windows I can code graphing, and printing of those graphs and data very easily.

And since I already have base code to do graphs and printing, writing a Windows version would be quick for me. The main reason I'm even starting this project is so I can visually graph data as I drive, print that graph and data out, and store the graph data later. By storing the graph data, I can do direct comparisons between data sets, so I can compare the effect of engine mods.

For the quick and dirty, especially on older laptops, Craig's software is great. But I really want extensive graphing ability, and the comparison ability. Maybe I just like pictures.

I8AStang - The very first thing I'm going to try to log (to test communication and logging ability) is BLM/cell/Integrator. I have a hard time on my AutoXRay watching what cell I'm in, then having to page back over to see the BLM. I'd rather just drive, and have the computer graph my BLMs, showing what cell I was in, so I can look at the data while I'm standing still. My BLMs are wildly off right now from cell to cell.. so to fix this I need to log it first.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Graphing, printing, etc. That sounds good. Be careful not to use any commercial libraries that can't be given away. Printing is usually a pain unless you use classes. What kinds of math functions are planning on including.....xcorr, fft, diff???
The student version of Matlab is pretty cheap. Octave for Linux (just like Matlab) is free. You might want to check it out.
Good luck. I am sure it will be very useful.
Thanks,
J
Old 03-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

What programming language do you plan on using?
J