Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Need help with turn signal flasher

Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Firebird SE
Engine: 2.8 L
Transmission: Automatic
Need help with turn signal flasher

I have a 1984 Firebird. The turn signals all light and I've replaced some of the bulbs, but they only blink with the hazards, not the turn signal. I went to the convenience center in the car and noticed there was NO flasher module. I got an OEM from the local Pontiac dealer, put it in, but the signals still don't blink. They come on, but don't blink.
Could I be LUCKY enough to have gotten a bad flasher? Is there a way to test the flasher to see if it is faulty.
PLEASE HELP!

Chris
Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Car: 1987 Buick WE4 Regal
Engine: 3.8L IC Turbo
Transmission: 200 4R Auto O/D
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Need help with turn signal flasher

Should have two flashers. One for turn signals, other for emergency flashers.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1989IROC-Z5.7L
Should have two flashers. One for turn signals, other for emergency flashers.
Yes. I had only one, for the emergency flashers. I bought an OEM for the turn signal flashers. But the turn signals are not blinking, just a steady on. Doesn't matter what side, both do the same thing.

Chris
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Sounds like you replaced the "emergency" flasher, not the "turn signal" flasher. Same style flashers/same parts numbers.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM

Sounds like you replaced the "emergency" flasher, not the "turn signal" flasher. Same style flashers/same parts numbers.
No, I have the diagram to the convenience center and the turn signal flasher is the can on the left. Besides, the emergency flashers ARE working, and there was NO can on the left, just two slits where the turn signal flasher can should have been. AND they are NOT the same part number:

Turn signal flasher - 10041073
Emergency Hazards flasher - 6450089

(I have the original GM parts and illustration catalog)
Chris
Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 PM

There are two flashers. One is in the fuse block (emergency), the other is by the steering column (turn signal).
Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by corlando52
AND they are NOT the same part number:

Turn signal flasher - 10041073
Emergency Hazards flasher - 6450089

(I have the original GM parts and illustration catalog)
Chris
One is standard duty, the other is heavy duty if I remember correctly.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:59 PM

There are two flashers. One is in the fuse block (emergency), the other is by the steering column (turn signal).
Not in an '84 Firebird. There are 2 flasher, both in the convenience center, which is above the radio and to the driver's side. It's tucked away and you need to bring it down to access it. It has an Audio Center that is blue and is for the alarm system. Behind that are 2 rectangular relays, and behind them, 2 round "cans" that are the flashers. The left is the turn signal flasher, the right is the Hazards.
Now, I just need to know if there is a way to check a flasher...12 Volts to one of the legs, then the other leg to a contact on a bulb, then back to ground? Does that work?

Chris
Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM

That should work. Sorry for not being much help!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 PM

At least you tried. Thanks!

Chris
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 AM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28, 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0L TBI., 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto TH200C, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, ones that rotate!

Chris

You have the test circuit correct. 12 Volts into the power side, test lamp to ground on the other side. If the test lamp flashes, the turn signal flasher works correctly.

In the Camaros, the hazard flasher was mounted in the continence center, and the turn signal flasher was mounted in a C clamp just above the continence center, on the steering wheel side. For grins, just check there and see if there is a flasher module mounted there also. If there is one there, remove and replace it and try the lights again. I have a Camaro, so I could be off base here. Usually when all four corners light up and don't flash the flasher is bad.

Maybe you got a bad flasher from the parts store.

I will have to post some other thins to test tomorrow. I have to think about it a bit. You might want to explore around the base of the steering column. You should find a connector and the Turn/Hazard switch there.

Dave
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Dave,
Thanks! I checked above the convenience center and it's an empty cavity. Also, nothing around the steering column. I have the entire interior out of the car, except for the dash, so I have a pretty clear shot at almost everything.
I'll try testing the flasher with an extra bulb I have from the car and see if it works. Any way to tell which is the + and which is the - side of the flasher?

Chris

Originally Posted by 82CrossFire Z28
Chris

You have the test circuit correct. 12 Volts into the power side, test lamp to ground on the other side. If the test lamp flashes, the turn signal flasher works correctly.

In the Camaros, the hazard flasher was mounted in the continence center, and the turn signal flasher was mounted in a C clamp just above the continence center, on the steering wheel side. For grins, just check there and see if there is a flasher module mounted there also. If there is one there, remove and replace it and try the lights again. I have a Camaro, so I could be off base here. Usually when all four corners light up and don't flash the flasher is bad.

Maybe you got a bad flasher from the parts store.

I will have to post some other thins to test tomorrow. I have to think about it a bit. You might want to explore around the base of the steering column. You should find a connector and the Turn/Hazard switch there.

Dave
Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 AM

Dave,
Thanks! I checked above the convenience center and it's an empty cavity. Also, nothing around the steering column. I have the entire interior out of the car, except for the dash, so I have a pretty clear shot at almost everything.
I'll try testing the flasher with an extra bulb I have from the car and see if it works. Any way to tell which is the + and which is the - side of the flasher?
Chris

Base on a few pictures of aftermarket flashers, both terminals of the flasher should be marked. Look at the base of the flasher. Do you see an X next to one terminal and an L next to the other? If so, the X is the side that goes to the fuse and the L is the side that goes to the lights. If not can you post a few pictures. It should be marked, either on the top, sides or bottom.

Sorry, I don't have quick access to mine. I would have to remove the trim panel and pull the flasher.

Next, I was incorrect as to where the turn signal/hazard switch was. It is actually mounted in the steering column, where the flasher button and turn signal stalk are.

However, based on the Camaro wiring, you should find a connector near the base of the column. Take a look at this thread...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...lp-please.html

In message #5, the second picture shows the base of the steering column. The WHITE connector under the column, connect to wires running up the column is for the wiper controls. The BLACK connector to the right of it is the connector for the turn signal/hazard lights and connections to the flashers for both circuits. You can see a bunch of wires from this connector turning up the steering column, under the wiper wires. That part of the circuit goes to the turn signal/hazard switch. The other side of the connector has a PPL (purple) and a BRN (brown) wire that go to the flashers. PPL goes to the turn siganl flasher and BRN goes to the hazard flasher. All the other wires on that side of the connector go to the front and rear lights.

Also take a look at message #16. There is a wiring diagram for both flasher circuits. This diagram does not show teh internal connections for the turn siganl/hazard switch nor the BLACK connector referenced above. Note however that the poster's car is an 88 Firebird. The turn signal and hazard flasher wiring also looks the same as the diagram in my 82 Camaro Service manual. Note also in the wiring diagram where tremianl L is on the turn signal switch, the load or light side of the flasher.

In the Haynes Manual, it offers the following advice

"If the thur signals fail on one side only and the flasher unit cannot be heard, a faulty bulb is indicated. If the flasher unit can be heard, a short in the wiring is indicated."

"If the turn signal fails on both sides, the problem may be due to a blown fuse, faulty flasher unit or switch, or a borken or loose connection"

You might also want to search the web for turn signal flasher operation. You will find a few links that have a good explination. Note that you have an electromechanical flasher, not a newer electronic one.

Now, I wonder if you can restate what you think the problem is and what symptoms you noted, given the follwoing:

1. If your turn siganl flasher was originally missing, how the turn lights come on? With reference to the wiring diagram above, if the flasher is removed from the circuit, there is no power source for the lights.

2. After you put the new flasher in, what turn lights actually came on? All as in all four corners of the car? Or all is in the front turn/park lamp and fron side marker, and the rear turn lamp for the side you were trying to signal?

The only way all four corners shoud be on in these cars is if one side of the turn signal switch is borken such that its contact is always closed. But if the turn signal swich is borken this way, the flasher lights on that side of teh car will always be on when the ignition is on.

So I am a bit confused as your original description of the problem does not match with my understanding of how the circuts work based on the wiring diagram.

Dave
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM

WOW, Dave, thanks for that great response and trying so diligently to help me.
1-Good question! I have asked this myself. Doesn't taking the flasher out open the circuit? How can the bulbs light if the flasher is missing? I don' understand it either.
2-The correct lights come on when you put on the directionals...stalk up and the right side two tail lights and right side front signal light come on steady, stalk down and the left two tail lights and left side front signal light come on steady. And it doesn't matter if I have the flasher in or not.
So you see, except for the fact that it doesn't matter if I have the flasher in or not, the car behaves correctly, except the signals don't blink. But the hazards do.
This tells us that the wiring and switches are all ok. The only thing I can think of is:
1-Short in the convenience center closing the circuit where the flasher goes or
2-There is another flasher somewhere else that isn't working...but why is there an empty space in the convenience center?
3-As a safety measure, if there is no flasher, the circuit is closed until the spades of the flasher are put in. The prongs open the circuit into the flasher.

Chris
Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave!
I FIXED IT! Here's what you said a couple of days ago...
"In the Camaros, the hazard flasher was mounted in the continence center, and the turn signal flasher was mounted in a C clamp just above the continence center, on the steering wheel side. For grins, just check there and see if there is a flasher module mounted there also. If there is one there, remove and replace it and try the lights again."

So, today, a bright and sunny day, I went digging and YUP!!!! Right where you said, in a C clamp, right under the tach, was the turn signal flasher!!! Why is there a place for it in the convenience center? I don't know! But, I replaced the flasher with the new one and, sure enough, the signals blink!!! YAY! What a pain!
At least now I can continue to put in my new carpet, panels, and put my car back together. Still have to re-upholster the seats, but that's another day.
Thanks again, sincerely, for all your help. You went above and beyond with your research and I really, really appreciate it.
Chris
Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 AM

Chris

It is good news to hear that you poked around in all the wiring above and in the dash and found the turn signal flasher.

Now it sounds as if you have a bit of work to finish up the interior. Good luck with that work.

GM may have used that convenience center in several different car models, complete with different wiring harnesses. So it could be that in a different GM car the turn signal flasher was mounted in the convenience center.

Dave
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 AM

Well, I was almost correct. Emergency flasher was in the "convenience center" and the turn signal flasher was by the column.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 82CrossFire Z28
Chris

It is good news to hear that you poked around in all the wiring above and in the dash and found the turn signal flasher.

Now it sounds as if you have a bit of work to finish up the interior. Good luck with that work.

GM may have used that convenience center in several different car models, complete with different wiring harnesses. So it could be that in a different GM car the turn signal flasher was mounted in the convenience center.

Dave

Yes, I'm changing my ugly grey painted black interior to the medium doeskin, so lots of work ahead of me. Thanks again for all your help.

Chris
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 AM

Well, I was almost correct. Emergency flasher was in the "convenience center" and the turn signal flasher was by the column.
Well, I wouldn't say by the steering column, as mine was closer to the radio, but, yes, you were correct about there being two places for the hazards and the turning signals flashers. They ARE different part numbers, though. Thank you.

Funny how it's not in ANY repair manual...

Chris
Old 01-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Car: 82 Camaro Z/28
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: TH350

Thanks guys for this post. I have an 82 Camaro Z-28 and mine was on a clip above the convenience center on the steering column. I would never of found it if it were not for you guys. Pulled it out of the clip and could pull the wire down a little so I could get a hold on the plug, put in new flasher and they work once again. Thanks so much!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: G92

Anyone has a pic of the flasher module location for camaro?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: Auto

i hate bugging you guys but ive got an 88 camaro 2.8 coupe. the only problem its got is my hazards work inside and out but the turn signals dont. they dont light up or flash in or outta the car but the hazards do. the fuses are good anyone help please...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Have You Tried RAID ?

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position.

Using a test light
(the type for testing for voltage, not a continuity tester) to probe the purple wire going to the steering column connector.

(It’s the larger of the connectors located on the right side of the steering column.)

If there’s power there, turn the blinker to the left position, then probe the
LIGHT blue wire at the same connector.

Is there power there?

Happy Racing!

I’ll Bump You Once To Move You Over, Next Time I’ll Spin You

Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cebas(13)
i hate bugging you guys but ive got an 88 camaro 2.8 coupe. the only problem its got is my hazards work inside and out but the turn signals dont. they dont light up or flash in or outta the car but the hazards do. the fuses are good anyone help please...
Hi! Sounds like same problem I had with my 84 Bird. Re-read this thread from the top. Hope it helps.

Chris
Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: Auto

ah thanks guys i figured it out after rereading this post 3 or 4 times it was the flasher/relay as my dad kept calling it. i replaced it and bam they work.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM

I have a 1984 Firebird. The turn signals all light and I've replaced some of the bulbs, but they only blink with the hazards, not the turn signal. I went to the convenience center in the car and noticed there was NO flasher module. I got an OEM from the local Pontiac dealer, put it in, but the signals still don't blink. They come on, but don't blink.
Could I be LUCKY enough to have gotten a bad flasher? Is there a way to test the flasher to see if it is faulty.
PLEASE HELP!

Chris
How do you access the convenience center? I can't find it! I have an '85 Camaro
Old 03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
A Convenient Truth

The Convenience Center is located behind the knee bolster.

The Convenience Center contains a flasher among other parts help you identify it, and is to the right of the steering column.

Happy Racing!

If You’re Passed By Your Own Tire On The Track, It’s Time For A Pit Stop

Old 04-02-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: 2:77
Re: A Convenient Truth

OK this drove me nuts for a few days. I'm used to the turn signal flasher being on the steering column in a c-clip. I now have THREE third gen camaros and I couldn't find the darn turn signal flasher to save my life. Until now. On my two 87 IROCs and the 88 RS I found it to be just above and toward the center of the car from the convenience center. Essentially right below the tach. Don't mistake it for the hazard signal flasher that is actually in the conv center. So here is a photo annotated as best I could do. In this pic the convenience center is hinged downward. I had to pull out the door chime alarm to get my hand up to access the turn signal flasher.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 firebird TA
Engine: 305 4 bbl carb
Transmission: 5 speed

Hi everyone:
I have an 86 firebird that the turn signal lights don't work, they just stopped.
I replaced the relay (bought 2 so I have a spare) and checked all the fuses, Hazard lights work, brake lights work, tail lights work, parking lights work. green arrows on dash don't light up. ether right or left. but work for hazards.
don't know what to do now any help would be appriciated
Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

There's no relay.

Change the turn signal flasher.

1 post asking the same question everybody else has already asked and answered, is enough.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:12 PM

Make sure you replaced the correct flasher. Mine isn't located where it says it should be in the manuals. Mine is under the tach, attached to the dash with a C clamp. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Already replaced the flasher,
for hazards and turn signals looking at turn signal switch. sny advise in troubleshooting it

thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

With the key On, should be 12V on both of the turn signal flasher's wires. The blue one should stay at 12V when a blinker is turned on and the purple should "blink" about once a second. The purple wire goes to the TS sw harness; the wires going out to the bulbs from the sw are yellow & lt green for the rear lights and lt & dk blue for the front ones, if memory serves. The brake light wire going to the sw is white I think, you can look at the brake light sw to make sure, it's the other one besides the orange.

The TS sw can go bad (anything can of course) but rarely does. I don't think I've ever replaced one for failure in all my years of working with cars, only for damage to the wiring. If the brake lights work it's probably OK. Not hard or $$$ to replace though. Just make sure to pull a string or pull wire up the column when you pull the old harness out, to use to pull the new one back in.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:05 AM

Thanks sofakingdom. I am going to try and get to it later once it cools down.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:40 PM

Ok I have no powe on the purple wire at plug location L with the key on and no power ether side of the flasher (purple or dk blue wires) all fues are good.

how does the switch get power with the key on ? Which pins can I check to see that it is getting power I dont see were it come from on the wire diagram

thanks
Old 08-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

From the ign sw, via the dk blue wire.

You say "fuses are good"; how do you know this? Have you replaced the TS one? Do the backup lights work? (same fuse)

Do the gauges work?
Old 08-25-2018, 02:27 PM

Hey guys I figured it out, turns out no power was flowing through to the purple wire. I traces it back with ohm meter to the fuse box and found it broke off on the back side of the swiched 20amp fuse. Thats why doing a continuity test of the fuse seemed good. Ince I reconnected it to the fuse block turn signals worked.

Thanks everyone for your help all the advice helped me solve this issue.

thanks also sofakingdom you post about power on the wires lead me to the solution

The following users liked this post:
Tidan (02-08-2021)
Old 08-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member