Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car wont start , engine service light

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car wont start , engine service light

i have a 92 camaro rs that stalled while parked in my driveway. That same day it stalled twice on me on my way home I been looking in the forums here to diagnosed the issue my myself . Ive checked the fuel pump and the distrbator which needed to be replaced so i put in a new cap and rotor. The car does turn on but dies about 3 secounds after . I remember the service engine soon light was on and i looked at the tut https://www.thirdgen.org/service-eng...ht-error-codes which im not sure im doing it right. I see the light flashing a making pauses the it will light up pause and light up twice it will keep doing this, now am i waiting for a number to show up or is this light sequence a "12" light..... light,light over and over
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Car wont start , engine service light

the code 12 is a blink pause blink,blink , you never stated what engine you have and post in the appropriate section. Check your basics are you getting spark ? are you getting fuel ? Compression ? Sounds like the ignition could module went out. But you will need to trouble shoot. You may also have a weak fuel pump so you might need to get a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

If the light is only flashing 12 then that's a reference, it just lets you know that the ecm is alive, normally it will blink 12, 3 times then display each code 3 times and follow the codes with 12 3 times again, I would check your base timing and make sure its on point, there is an EST connector that you need to disconnect when you adjust or check your timing, its a little single pin connector about the size of a crayons snapped in two, I believe its a tan wire.

If your timing is good then I would check for spark on all your wires, you can either use the screwdriver method or get a spark tool either way will work.

Also adjust your idle air control and your throttle position sensor, you will need a multimeter along with a t20(I believe) torch screwdriver, if you look on the home page there will be a tech article section, look just iac adjustment and tps reset and it will guide you through the process

Basics are key and be thorough. I've overlooked minor hings and found myself chasing ghosts until I went back to the basics

Does the car take a while to fire when cranking? Check each area completely don't bounce arohnd, id start with your ignition check the fuel system, and then attempt the iac/tps adjustment once you are sure the 2 areas are good then move on to timing last once you have spark and fuel totally checked over

Hope this helps
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 AM

its a 305 tbi
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 AM

this sounds very overwhelming do you have the links
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

It's a very simple process to be honest ill post the links when I get home I'm doing this on my phone so flipping around the web is kind of a pain unless someone else wants to throw them up before me, where are you located? If you can I would get someone local to give you a hand from the boards to show you the ropes of it I do it from habit at this point lol
Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 PM

i live in fort hood texas anyone that can help me i would really appreciate it
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by xavier_pr84
i live in fort hood texas anyone that can help me i would really appreciate it
Austinthirdgen.org sounds right up your alley, Texas based version of this forum, there's quite a few really knowledgable people on thee like Lou and Steven I'm sure someone can lend you a hand
Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM

ok so far gas pump is working distributor cap and rotor replaced i was surfing the web reading looking up now my next step is the fuel pump relay i read that its near the brake cylnder anyway i took a pic of what i think is the fuel pump relay on the left but i noticed that one of the wires were cut and feeds into the radiator fan my question is what relay is this? is it the fuel pump relay,its the one on the left and what is that wire thats cut
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

I can make this really simple for you, turn the key forward and you will hear a whine, if you hear the whine then your pump is working which means the relay is good. go to autozone and rent a fuel pressure gauge, tap it into the line and it should read 12-14 psi I believe, if the pressure is good then fuel is not the problem, your injectors are the exception to this, run the car and look at the spray pattern it should be conical and even, you may have injectors that are clogged or leaky. With tbi you could have bad injectors, a bad diaphragm, a bad fuel filter, or a bad pump. By using the fuel pressure gauge you can knock out the pump and filter in one shot. If the psi is low then you need to check the filter, if its old replace it. If that doesn't solve the issue start liking at the pump. Systematically eliminate issues down the line of the component to make sure its good do not bounce around or you will be stabbing in the dark.