Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Horn not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Horn not working

I bought the car as is, and its in really great shape with no rust (which is surprising for being a pennslyvania car) but it does have a few issues. One that im mainly concerned about(mostly because I know nothing about it and have no idea on how to go about fixing it) is the horn. I cant pass inspection without it. Under the hood there is an aftermarket horn inside, no idea if they had it working at one time or if never worked at all. so my question is, whats the easiest fix for this? is this common in these cars? And also who could a mechanic fix this? a body shop? a Technician? Could i do it myself? whats it gonna cost me?

anyone got one rigged up to a button the dash rather than the steering wheel? wouldnt mind that if it was easier, and doesnt look like hell.

Thanks anything will help!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 PM

Car: 88 IROC Z/28-under re-construction
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port
Transmission: It's in there....
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg-Warner
Re: Horn not working

Look at it like this. 1 you won't flipped off, and 2 you won't get shot at
Old 02-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Does the car still have the stock steering wheel and horn button?

Is the wiring in your car hacked at all? This will usually complicate trouble shooting.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Does the car still have the stock steering wheel and horn button?

Is the wiring in your car hacked at all? This will usually complicate trouble shooting.
Nothing is hacked, and I have the original steering wheel and horn button.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mjdavis68
Look at it like this. 1 you won't flipped off, and 2 you won't get shot at
Haha true but you missed number 3. I don't pass inspection lol. Its the only reason I'm bothering with it.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

You "always" check the fuse first.
You need a horn, period. Nothing like watching some one slowly backing into you, with out a horn , etc.

Please fill in the rest of your signature including the year of the car. Thank You.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 02-19-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:00 AM

It's a 1991 base model firebird it has the 305 tbi. How would I go about testing the fuse?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Fuses are cheap, don't worry about testing it, just spend a buck and replace it if you think that's it.

Check under the dash near the steering, there's a fusible link/connection/thing there that is wired into the horn (forgive me for not knowing the correct term). You can't miss it though, follow the horn wire from the steering wheel (google to figure out the factory color) and you'll come to the junction. give it a pinch/wiggle/etc and try the horn. Should work. If it doesn't then I'd check the fuse.

Mine has this issue from time to time (stock horn, wiring, etc). I imagine whoever the PO was tried to fix it by replacing the horn itself when it in actuality was just the connection.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Hi,
My horn didn't work either when I got my car. The accessory fuse also covered the dome light, power mirrors or locks.
Luck, Henry, third brake light, etc. which also were not working. I kept blowing every fuse I put in until I learned on here that the culprit is often a short in the lighter socket that keeps any of the other things from working.
Any of these things also not working?
If a replaced fuse pops instantly try disconnecting the lighter socket from the harness in the dash and put in a fresh fuse.
That fixed mine, perhaps it will work for you too
Old 02-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

I think it could actually be the horn switch. They tend to crack from what I understand. Are both of them bad? They are also hard to come by if that is the problem.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

It's best not to guess at what the problem might be and do some basic troubleshooting. The horn circuit is pretty simple.

See the attached pages from the Camaro factory service manual. Firebirds should be wired the same.

Last edited by paulo57509; 02-20-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try to whatve you said about it this weekend when I have some time off work.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 663 Likes on 473 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Something also to consider ;

You mentioned in an earlier post putting a push button somewhere on the dash . I don't know what State you live in , but here in good ol Taxachusetts in order to pass your safety inspection to get your required inspection sticker , all safety devices must function as they did when it left the factory and things like the horn button on the dash are not allowed .

In other words , troubleshoot it correctly as Paulo said , and repair the failed component . The entire system consists of two horns , one relay , one switch (with a spring loaded contact called a slip ring in Paulo's schematic to accomodate turning the wheel) , one fuse , and some wire .

Last edited by OrangeBird; 02-20-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:51 PM

Car: The Car-1990 Camaro RS Coupe
Engine: 5.0 Litre
Transmission: standard
Axle/Gears: single axle 5 speed

Its been a while since I worked on the horn trouble in the car I babysit, but besides checking the fuse (& if it is good) I remember checking the horn itself under the hood. First I checked to see if the wires were connected (because sometimes it can be just a wire loose or disconnected). Then I used a piece of wire to run from the horn (this one had two) under the hood to direct battery power positive. The horn made horn noise.(I don't remember if the ground wires looked good or if I connected a ground wire as well). So knew the horn worked. I gave once over to wiring that I could see from horn till couldn't trace any more.Then I checked the wire coming into the fuse box-good. My wire from fuse box went into the steering column to a horn switch). I ended up pulling fuse for airbag (very important), waiting at least 10 minutes, disconnecting the battery(under the hood), then pulled the steering wheel (borrowed puller from friend otherwise would have borrowed one from O'Reilly auto). (If that ends up being what you need to do, this is a camaro that I babysit so I don't know if it is the same.). On the attachments "steering col remove camaro" don't just pry off the cover when it says to do that & that it might crack. Mine needed the lock plate compressor tool for both parts because there were 2 lock rings instead of one. I hope you don't need to get into the column though.
Attached Thumbnails Horn not working-steering-pic.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
horn trouble.bmp (1.34 MB, 151 views)
File Type: bmp
horn repair.bmp (2.27 MB, 180 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc
steering col remove camaro.doc (4.24 MB, 151 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:00 PM

Also, if you do get to the point that you need to pull the steering wheel to check the horn button or pin with a spring insert, be very careful when removing the airbag, note with a marker where your "clockspring" is facing (like in the attachment), be very careful of the plastic horn ring. I found this one broken & needed to either buy one, or do like I did and use a heated plier held paperclip to slowly, carefully melt a new path to hold the pin and spring in that should lock into the plastic horn ring, in order that when you push on the horn this part can make contact so the horn would blast. I hope this makes sense. Any questions I will do my best to explain.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:07 PM

My post #14. The attachment "files" steering clo. remove camaro & tilt steering cloumn dis. no pics go together. They are done by the person I copied to do my work. I did not do these pictures of any work I did. They were just so helpful to me that I thought they might be to you.