Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

89 RS Fuel Pump Bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Chevrolet Camaro
Engine: 5.7 Vortec
Transmission: T5 Manual
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen LS1 10 Posi 3.42 Rear Gear
89 RS Fuel Pump Bypass?

Hello everybody! I just got done swapping my 2.8 out for a l31 vortec and have it all running but im having a little problem. my fuel pump will prime but once i start the engine it wont kick on once oil pressure gets up. At first it did work and while running it was a solid 6 psi on the Holley fuel regulator. so i was wondering if someone could help me out with what the easiest way would be to just bypass all the sender and relay so the fuel pump comes on with the ignition. My fuel pump relay is on my driverside firewall and the connector is 5 pins in a straight line. Thanks
Old 02-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 673 Likes on 480 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 89 RS Fuel Pump Bypass?

Originally Posted by 89RSVortec
Hello everybody! I just got done swapping my 2.8 out for a l31 vortec and have it all running but im having a little problem. my fuel pump will prime but once i start the engine it wont kick on once oil pressure gets up. At first it did work and while running it was a solid 6 psi on the Holley fuel regulator. so i was wondering if someone could help me out with what the easiest way would be to just bypass all the sender and relay so the fuel pump comes on with the ignition. My fuel pump relay is on my driverside firewall and the connector is 5 pins in a straight line. Thanks
Hopefully no one will help you create a major potential fire hazard by doing what you ask , fix the car correctly or go buy a freakin Honda ....

Seriously , I hope the above DID sound as mean as I meant it to , there is a really good reason , several actually , why GM didn't go and just wire the fuel pump to be always on with the ignition in the on position , if you like the car and don't want it to become a crispy critter someday your best bet would be to repair the system to it's proper , as designed functionality .
Old 02-24-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Hopefully no one will help you create a major potential fire hazard by doing what you ask , fix the car correctly or go buy a freakin Honda ....

Seriously , I hope the above DID sound as mean as I meant it to , there is a really good reason , several actually , why GM didn't go and just wire the fuel pump to be always on with the ignition in the on position , if you like the car and don't want it to become a crispy critter someday your best bet would be to repair the system to it's proper , as designed functionality .
I really would like to thank you! Your response made me think to trouble shoot this a little more. I double checked my connections and found out that i overlooked the most common thing i should have checked! looked up a wiring diagram and read it over. I saw that the orange wire is a constant 12v and the tan and white stripe wire is straight to the fuel pump. So I unplugged the 3 wire oil pressure sender and took a short wire and stripped both ends and connected one end to the orange wire and one to the tan/white wire and it triggered the oil pump. So i went and picked up a replacement oil pressure sender and it worked.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89RSVortec
I really would like to thank you! Your response made me think to trouble shoot this a little more. I double checked my connections and found out that i overlooked the most common thing i should have checked! looked up a wiring diagram and read it over. I saw that the orange wire is a constant 12v and the tan and white stripe wire is straight to the fuel pump. So I unplugged the 3 wire oil pressure sender and took a short wire and stripped both ends and connected one end to the orange wire and one to the tan/white wire and it triggered the oil pump. So i went and picked up a replacement oil pressure sender and it worked.
!!!!

Truly , THANK YOU for taking the advice and not "shooting the messenger" as most folks tend to do . Yes indeed I was deliberately harsh in my response because I have personally seen the burned out shell of a car that someone hotwired the fuel pump on , and I figure since you've got the mechanical accumen to have installed the new engine in the first place you've got the smarts to repair what was wrong with the fuel pump's original wiring . You did it right instead of taking the lazy easy way out , you actually troubleshot the problem and kudos to you for that
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 AM

I find it weird that the switch worked once and then suddenly stopped after the first run. but anyway heres a few pictures and a little clip of it running!
The tahoe I bought for 550 that the motor was in.
Bye 2.8! (I know terrible photo!)
The beauty that is now in it!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Very Nice ! Thank You for the photos and the video , they look great . Now that it's got some power , all that's left to do is to go out and blow the doors off of a few Hondas out there , while keeping an eye out for the Law , of course .