Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

LED Light Problem 1986 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: LS7
Transmission: Built 4L80e w/GearVendors overdrive
Axle/Gears: 2.73
LED Light Problem 1986 Camaro

I haven't seen this discussed before.

I replaced every bulb in my car with LED's. Now when I turn on the parking lights or headlights the turn signal indicators on the dash stay on continuously.

If I remove the bulb from the front side marker lights, the indicators turn off. If I replace the LED in the front side markers with a stock bulb, the stock bulb is on but very dim.

If I replace the LED bulb in the front park/turn signal light in the lower bumper with a stock bulb, the turn signal indicator in the dash turns off.

The bulbs are inserted correctly and the sockets are not damaged. I also ran new grounds. The LED bulbs I'm using are bicolor, white for parking and yellow for turn and designed to replace the stock bulbs. Why doesn't it like a LED bulb in that location?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Turn 4 The Worse

A common mistake is people installing 2 element bulbs 180° rotated.

Some crazy symptoms have been reported doing that.

If the above is OK, remember the turn signal circuit was designed for incandescent bulbs.

The filaments from some bulbs are used as grounds for other bulbs.

You stated you redid the grounds.

If possible post your diagram.

Until then, and if you can’t post your diagram, take each bulb on a case-by-case basis.

Use a voltmeter to determine if the bulb under test is getting power when it’s supposed to, and no power when it’s not supposed to.

Your turn indicator is false-on due to the LED element in the turn signal lamp failing to act as a ground.

The above is just one problem a LED swap can cause.

You should rewire parts of the “parking”, marker, and turn signal circuits.

Happy Racing !

How Come Some Drivers On The Street Don’t Know How To Make A Turn In One Direction Without Starting By Turning In The Opposite Direction?

Old 04-16-2018, 05:48 PM

Re: Turn 4 The Worse

Originally Posted by NINÅ
A common mistake is people installing 2 element bulbs 180° rotated.

Some crazy symptoms have been reported doing that.

If the above is OK, remember the turn signal circuit was designed for incandescent bulbs.

The filaments from some bulbs are used as grounds for other bulbs.

You stated you redid the grounds.

If possible post your diagram.

Until then, and if you can’t post your diagram, take each bulb on a case-by-case basis.

Use a voltmeter to determine if the bulb under test is getting power when it’s supposed to, and no power when it’s not supposed to.

Your turn indicator is false-on due to the LED element in the turn signal lamp failing to act as a ground.

The above is just one problem a LED swap can cause.

You should rewire parts of the “parking”, marker, and turn signal circuits.

Happy Racing !

How Come Some Drivers On The Street Don’t Know How To Make A Turn In One Direction Without Starting By Turning In The Opposite Direction?

Wiring is the same as stock, I just replaced the grounds with new ones.

All the bulbs work exactly as they should, the only problem is with the LED's the turn indicators stay on. With incandescent bulbs they don't. Is there something I can add to the circuit so they won't come on when I use the LED's?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by 82IMSA
Wiring is the same as stock, I just replaced the grounds with new ones.

All the bulbs work exactly as they should, the only problem is with the LED's the turn indicators stay on. With incandescent bulbs they don't. Is there something I can add to the circuit so they won't come on when I use the LED's?
The only bulbs that use a positive circuit/wire as a ground when not in "use" are the tail light bulbs that also function as brakelight bulbs. These bulbs have one positive wire (the brakelight feed) acting as a ground when the brakes are not pressed. All of the other bulbs are simple one wire (+) and one wire (-). Our vehicles lighting circuits are wired in a very old school way. Short of re-wiring the lighting circuits I believe that the only way to wire the turn signal indicators so they don't turn on would be to wire in a diode. Something like 1 amp would be fine. The diode would only allow current to flow in one direction and should keep the turn signal indicator lights from improperly turning on.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
The only bulbs that use a positive circuit/wire as a ground when not in "use" are the tail light bulbs that also function as brakelight bulbs. These bulbs have one positive wire (the brakelight feed) acting as a ground when the brakes are not pressed. All of the other bulbs are simple one wire (+) and one wire (-). Our vehicles lighting circuits are wired in a very old school way. Short of re-wiring the lighting circuits I believe that the only way to wire the turn signal indicators so they don't turn on would be to wire in a diode. Something like 1 amp would be fine. The diode would only allow current to flow in one direction and should keep the turn signal indicator lights from improperly turning on.
I think I understand. You're saying that when I turn on the running lights the LED bulbs are back feeding voltage to the turn signal circuit, so a diode would block that current from making it to the turn signal indicators in the dash? In that case I would want to add the diode on the turn signal wire immediately behind the bulb before it branches off to the side marker or my halo on the high beam that I'm also using for a turn signal indicator. I'll give it a try and report back if it worked. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R
Re: LED Light Problem 1986 Camaro

I think there's something else at play like Nina said since an LED IS a diode. '86 I think will be similar to this...

http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...ithout_T61.jpg

The front side markers DO the weird thing using the front signal bulbs as grounds. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that too. My car isn't running, but iirc, the side markers blink opposite of the front signals when park lights are off, but with the front signals when the park lights are on, or vice versa.

*Edit* I'm not great with electrical, but I think I get what's going on... maybe.
When you turn on the park lights, normally, the marker light gets it's ground thru the front turn signal bulb. Since this is now an LED, for whatever reason, it's getting it's ground thru the dash, path of least resistance or something like that.

When you remove that bulb, you remove the path of power.

When you replace that bulb with a stock one, it's still getting it's ground thru the dash instead of a good ground thru the turn signal, so it's dim.

Replace the turn signal bulb with a stock one, now THAT is best the path to ground, so dash turns off.

Last edited by GMan 3MT; 04-16-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R

To add more, just thinking out loud. The current wiring setup requires the side marker to 'flow' both directions, which LEDs can't do.

I'm very interested in the outcome. I'm in a similar boat as you. I replaced nearly all my lights with LEDs, except the side markers, but still haven't been able to test them yet.

So maybe the diode might work. Like you said, before it branches, S106 in the diagram, so you could put it on the engine bay side of C100. Just wonder if that's enough to 'force' the ground to go thru the LED turn signal bulb that is currently failing to act as a ground as Nina said. Before you do that, I'd try turn the side marker LED the other direction and see what happens. I'm guessing it will fix the issue with the dash, but won' t come on with park lights.

Last edited by GMan 3MT; 04-16-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by GMan 3MT
To add more, just thinking out loud. The current wiring setup requires the side marker to 'flow' both directions, which LEDs can't do.

I'm very interested in the outcome. I'm in a similar boat as you. I replaced nearly all my lights with LEDs, except the side markers, but still haven't been able to test them yet.

So maybe the diode might work. Like you said, before it branches, S106 in the diagram, so you could put it on the engine bay side of C100. Just wonder if that's enough to 'force' the ground to go thru the LED turn signal bulb that is currently failing to act as a ground as Nina said. Before you do that, I'd try turn the side marker LED the other direction and see what happens. I'm guessing it will fix the issue with the dash, but won' t come on with park lights.
So looking at the wiring diagram, when the parking lights are on power is fed to the side marker and front park/turn bulbs on the brown wire, and the light/dark blue wires are used as a ground for the side markers through the front bulbs. The LED bulbs will not allow that to happen.

The solution here then is to add relays wired to ground the light/dark blue wire when power isn't applied to that wire. That would be wired terminal 86 to light/dark blue from turn signal switch, 85 and 87a to ground, 87 and 30 to light/dark blue wire going to side marker bulb? Does that sound like it would do what the incandescent bulb does. I had to do a similar thing with the wire for the cruise control off the brake switch since I am using the Digi-Tails.

It appears that it works the opposite way when the turn signals are on with the side marker grounded through the front bulb. Am I going to need a relay on that circuit as well?

LED Light Problem 1986 Camaro-diagram_1992_exterior_lights_turn_stop_hazard_front_park_front_marker_without_t61.jpg
Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 PM

So looking at the wiring diagram, when the parking lights are on power is fed to the side marker and front park/turn bulbs on the brown wire, and the light/dark blue wires are used as a ground for the side markers through the front bulbs. The LED bulbs will not allow that to happen.

The solution here then is to add relays wired to ground the light/dark blue wire when power isn't applied to that wire. That would be wired terminal 86 to light/dark blue from turn signal switch, 85 and 87a to ground, 87 and 30 to light/dark blue wire going to side marker bulb? Does that sound like it would do what the incandescent bulb does. I had to do a similar thing with the wire for the cruise control off the brake switch since I am using the Digi-Tails.

It appears that it works the opposite way when the turn signals are on with the side marker grounded through the front bulb. Am I going to need a relay on that circuit as well?

Attachment 453467
The answer to my last question is, yes, you do need a relay on the turn signal side as well. It appears to work fine with the LED bulbs, but if you put an incandescent in the side marker and turn on the turn signal it lights so faintly that you can barely see it. Apparently the LED's draw so little current that whatever ground they can get is sufficient, but not enough for a regular bulb, so to be safe you need to add a relay on that side of the side marker too. Will try this when I round up some weatherproof relays and see if it fixes the problem. Wiring would be the same except change light/dark blue to brown in the wiring instructions for the relay I described above.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 PM

The answer to my last question is, yes, you do need a relay on the turn signal side as well. It appears to work fine with the LED bulbs, but if you put an incandescent in the side marker and turn on the turn signal it lights so faintly that you can barely see it. Apparently the LED's draw so little current that whatever ground they can get is sufficient, but not enough for a regular bulb, so to be safe you need to add a relay on that side of the side marker too. Will try this when I round up some weatherproof relays and see if it fixes the problem. Wiring would be the same except change light/dark blue to brown in the wiring instructions for the relay I described above.
I think I'm on the right track, but had the wiring slightly off above. You actually want to connect 86 and 87 to the wire coming from the switch, 85 and 87a to ground, and 30 to the bulb. If you do this the indicators don't come on when you turn on the lights, however, after you use the turn signal once, the indicator stays on solid until you turn the lights off. Turn them back on and no indicators until you use them again.

If you connect 87 directly to a 12V source this does not happen, however, the relays click loudly when you turn on the turn signal.

I think I'm going to try connecting 87 back to 86, but with a diode to prevent current from flowing back to 86 and the turn signal circuit. That really shouldn't be possible with 87 switched off by the relay, but apparently not? This is really weird.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 PM

Went back and tested the circuit after turning off the turn signal, and somehow it has about 4V bleeding back up the wire to terminal 30, then across to 87 which when connected to 86 allows it to get back to the indicators and apparently also trigger the relay so it never switches back to 87a to ground the circuit properly.

I'm going to assume that if I add a diode the relay is going to switch properly, and the click will come back, so might as well save the money on the diode and just wire 87 directly to the battery. It only clicks when the turn signal is on, the clicking of course being the switch inside the relay operating.

If you have this issue and want to use the LED's, connect 86 to the wire coming from the switch, 87 to a 12V source, 85 and 87a to ground, and 30 to the wire going to the bulb. You will need 2 relays on each side marker light, one on each wire as described.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Did you replace your flasher with the LED version?
Also, I thought that some of the better name-brand LED conversion bulbs incorporated resistors, so that they continue to "look" like incandescent bulbs to the circuits.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 314 Likes on 257 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

85 & 86 should be the low side (pwr)of the relay, with 87-30 your hi side (led).Are your tri color leds 3 wire? If so, that could be the issue (guessing).A relay is the better way to go though.With a relay you shouldnt need a LED flasher, but it wont hurt anything if you use one.Some LEDs are non directional, meaning you can plug them in any way, but normaly its pos-pos & neg-neg.This is how i wired mine up, but you will need a relay for every lamp, 4 in my case.On post 19 is my schematic.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...de-marker.html

Last edited by 84 1LE; 04-19-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
Did you replace your flasher with the LED version?
Also, I thought that some of the better name-brand LED conversion bulbs incorporated resistors, so that they continue to "look" like incandescent bulbs to the circuits.
I replaced both the turn and hazard flashers with LED versions, and they blink fine.

The problem here is the circuit grounds through the unused filament in the park/turn signal bulb in the front bumper. When you replace the 1157 bulbs with LED's they don't ground properly and ground through the turn signal indicators in the dash when you turn on the lights causing them to stay on solid.

The relays I added ground the side markers properly so you don't get current running back through the indicators.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
85 & 86 should be the low side (pwr)of the relay, with 87-30 your hi side (led).Are your tri color leds 3 wire? If so, that could be the issue (guessing).A relay is the better way to go though.With a relay you shouldnt need a LED flasher, but it wont hurt anything if you use one.Some LEDs are non directional, meaning you can plug them in any way, but normaly its pos-pos & neg-neg.This is how i wired mine up, but you will need a relay for every lamp, 4 in my case.On post 19 is my schematic.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...de-marker.html
You solved a different problem. My LED's in the side markers are non-directional, so it doesn't matter how I install them. The LED's in the front are 3 wire, and don't ground the circuit like the stock 1157 bulbs do. The relay setup I described above solves the problem of them trying to ground through the turn signal circuit when you turn the lights on which causes the indicators in the dash to stay on.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

This is driving me crazy, can you draw out the circuit so I can see what is going on?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
This is driving me crazy, can you draw out the circuit so I can see what is going on?

It's already fixed. The side markers ground through the front running light bulbs, and when you put LED's in that location they don't allow that to happen, so they wind up grounding through the turn signal switch causing the indicator light on the dash to come on. Wire a couple of relays as I described above, and the problem is solved. Or just don't use LED's in the front running lights...
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Yes 83 Crossfire TA, it is because of those dual filament bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails LED Light Problem 1986 Camaro-parking-lights.png